The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The West Wing
I love W&J, definitely the best one.

I got almost no sleep but enough to do do this exam.

Good luck all lawyers! (and non lawyers with exams :smile: )

Good luck! Are you in the Corn Exchange too? :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
I woke up this morning in a blind panic, scrambling around for my exam timetable sheet, convinced that I was 10 minutes away from missing my exam... It's at 1.30 this afternoon.
Original post by Mrs Cullen
I woke up this morning in a blind panic, scrambling around for my exam timetable sheet, convinced that I was 10 minutes away from missing my exam... It's at 1.30 this afternoon.

This is why I obsessively check my timetable sheet from a few days before the exam :p:

Just been to town to get a birthday card and some more junk food from Sainsbury's. On my walk in, I saw loads of people either on their way to exams or milling around exam halls. This has put the fear into me. :afraid: (edit: even more so than yesterday's exam prep had)

Good luck everyone doing their exams today and this week on! :smile: Anyone else finish towards the end of next week like me..? :frown:
Original post by brimstone
This is why I obsessively check my timetable sheet from a few days before the exam :p:

Just been to town to get a birthday card and some more junk food from Sainsbury's. On my walk in, I saw loads of people either on their way to exams or milling around exam halls. This has put the fear into me. :afraid: (edit: even more so than yesterday's exam prep had)

Good luck everyone doing their exams today and this week on! :smile: Anyone else finish towards the end of next week like me..? :frown:

I start the end of next week :s-smilie:

I've got a mock Physics paper at 10... really nervous, despite the fact it's a mock because this is the first paper I'll've done and I can't use my notes like I have for my other subjects... It's also self-inflicted as the people with the other supervisor in my college set it, and I thought I probably should do it as well :frown:

Argh!
Original post by Tortious
"You have already rated a post by this user recently!"

Is this the death of PRSOM?

:iiam:

I asked this once in CamChat - it's a different message because it's a different reason: PRSOM means that you haven't rated enough other members before the person you want to rep, and YHARP means that you are trying to rep the person too soon after you previously repped them (so you will be able to rep them after some time, rather than after some other members). :yep:

Original post by Topaz_eyes
Also: GOOD LUCK LAWYERS AND ALEX (and anyone else with exams tomorrow/soon :tongue:)

Thanks. :smile:

Good luck all! :woo:
Reply 385
Original post by brimstone

Next Friday. Blergh.
Reply 386
Original post by Slumpy
Next Friday. Blergh.

But that means you have a whole week yet to revise! I just wrote out the Frobenius theorem from Rep Theory in a 'memorable way'. I hate that theorem ¬.¬
Reply 387
Original post by Mrs Cullen

I did that for real once... in GCSE. Woke up half an hour before my exam when I live 20 minutes walk away from school. Not a nice feeling. Got there just in time with adrenelin pumping, but that probably cost me an A* :frown: Nowadays I check the timetable ultra-obsessively.
Good luck! Are you in the Corn Exchange too? :holmes:

How did it go?

I thought mine went really well. I think I nailed 3 questions, but on one of the others I completely missed the point until about half way through and had to cross out two pages of work and start again. Fortunately the adrenaline kicked in and I wrote like a mad man to salvage something of that question - I'm covered in sweat now from the adrenaline rush - onwards and upwards!
Reply 389
Original post by Gesar
But that means you have a whole week yet to revise! I just wrote out the Frobenius theorem from Rep Theory in a 'memorable way'. I hate that theorem ¬.¬

Nice. I'm thinking for me, rep theory is gonna be characters, and the last quarter of the course. We'll see how that goes...
Original post by Slumpy
Nice. I'm thinking for me, rep theory is gonna be characters, and the last quarter of the course. We'll see how that goes...

There was recently a proposal to eliminate SU(2) from the course and add more finite groups stuff. I don't think the lecturer likes it very much.

The proof of Frobenius reciprocity is a bit weird, yeah. But it doesn't seem to have ever come up. Its applications, on the other hand...
How did it go?

I thought mine went really well. I think I nailed 3 questions, but on one of the others I completely missed the point until about half way through and had to cross out two pages of work and start again. Fortunately the adrenaline kicked in and I wrote like a mad man to salvage something of that question - I'm covered in sweat now from the adrenaline rush - onwards and upwards!

Not brilliantly - the questions felt unlike from other years and seemed to be either complicated problems or "<pretentious long quote> Discuss" essays. :sigh:

I did a good first essay on parliamentary sovereignty/the rule of law based on a quote from Lord Phillips that if Parliament did the unthinkable and legislated contrary to fundamental constitutional principles then the courts might have to do the unthinkable too (questions were "would refusing to recognise the Act be unconstitutional? and "would the Queen giving Royal Assent be unconstitutional?"), but it kind of went downhill from there. I did another on EU and whether the current relationships between directives/regulations is satisfactory (failing to notice the mention of the ECJ failing to maintain a satisfactory balance between ensuring consistency in EU law and keeping directives/regulations separate).

I was then forced into bull****ting about devolution on the basis that I hadn't revised it but didn't like the look of the other essays and wrote about the federal/unitary models and the West Lothian question with respect to pros/cons of devolution (3 sides out of six lines of a textbook!), then finished with a nice juicy judicial review question. :biggrin:

So yeah, good start and finish - that's the main thing, right? :wink: I think I saw your name badge too; you were in row 7, weren't you? :ninja: I didn't actually see you though or I'd have said hello...
Reply 392
Original post by Zhen Lin
There was recently a proposal to eliminate SU(2) from the course and add more finite groups stuff. I don't think the lecturer likes it very much.

The proof of Frobenius reciprocity is a bit weird, yeah. But it doesn't seem to have ever come up. Its applications, on the other hand...

Really? Hasn't he been setting the papers the last two years, and those questions been essentially bookwork?
Reply 393
Original post by Zhen Lin

I meant the Frobenius Groups stuff. And proving the frob recip has come up before, but it's easy.

He doesn't like the material, no. Do you know what his hint was in the last lecture? It was some part of the theorem which he "thoroughly" recommended we learn. I think it was the first part but I can't be sure.
Not brilliantly - the questions felt unlike from other years and seemed to be either complicated problems or "<pretentious long quote> Discuss" essays. :sigh:

I did a good first essay on parliamentary sovereignty/the rule of law based on a quote from Lord Phillips that if Parliament did the unthinkable and legislated contrary to fundamental constitutional principles then the courts might have to do the unthinkable too (questions were "would refusing to recognise the Act be unconstitutional? and "would the Queen giving Royal Assent be unconstitutional?"), but it kind of went downhill from there. I did another on EU and whether the current relationships between directives/regulations is satisfactory (failing to notice the mention of the ECJ failing to maintain a satisfactory balance between ensuring consistency in EU law and keeping directives/regulations separate).

I was then forced into bull****ting about devolution on the basis that I hadn't revised it but didn't like the look of the other essays and wrote about the federal/unitary models and the West Lothian question with respect to pros/cons of devolution (3 sides out of six lines of a textbook!), then finished with a nice juicy judicial review question. :biggrin:

So yeah, good start and finish - that's the main thing, right? :wink: I think I saw your name badge too; you were in row 7, weren't you? :ninja: I didn't actually see you though or I'd have said hello...

At least you got something you liked! I wasn't in row 7, I was in the Law faculty :p: .

I wonder if any smarty-pants pointed out that it's not called the ECJ any more, and that it's called the CJEU.
At least you got something you liked! I wasn't in row 7, I was in the Law faculty :p: .

I wonder if any smarty-pants pointed out that it's not called the ECJ any more, and that it's called the CJEU.

Oh, I must've misread the card then - I thought I saw your name but erm...couldn't see anyone matching your description. :rofl:

I doubt anyone will have pointed it out, especially as it's a quote from Dashwood (probably some obscure article that nobody's read) so he was correct at the time. I did, however, find it amusing in my interview in December 2009 that my interviewer referred to the House of Lords, although naturally I didn't draw attention to it. :wink:
I've realised how I was so wonderfully happy the first half of this term. I wasn't working on the paper I hate at all. Perversely, a mistake.
Reply 397
Oh, I must've misread the card then - I thought I saw your name but erm...couldn't see anyone matching your description. :rofl:

I doubt anyone will have pointed it out, especially as it's a quote from Dashwood (probably some obscure article that nobody's read) so he was correct at the time. I did, however, find it amusing in my interview in December 2009 that my interviewer referred to the House of Lords, although naturally I didn't draw attention to it. :wink:

Yeah, was definitely meant to read that article. Definitely didn't. Definitely didn't do the question. I did public assembly/the Phillips question you did/JR/the HRA question--not in that order. Irritated there was no problem question on directives, though.

I waved to you but probably should have introduced myself as I'm not sure you recognised me! You looked at me slightly oddly. Gray shirt, burgundy hoody?
Original post by jjarvis
Yeah, was definitely meant to read that article. Definitely didn't. Definitely didn't do the question. I did public assembly/the Phillips question you did/JR/the HRA question--not in that order. Irritated there was no problem question on directives, though.

I waved to you but probably should have introduced myself as I'm not sure you recognised me! You looked at me slightly oddly. Gray shirt, burgundy hoody?

Yeah, I saw the "freedom of" questions at the end and though "should have revised this :facepalm2:".

The reason I looked at you oddly is that wasn't me! Clearly that's why you looked at me oddly when I gave you an acknowledging nod after the exam. I was outside - green long-sleeved top talking to Austin from Trinity Hall (tall American guy so you must know him :p:). :toofunny:
Urgh urgh urgh. Use of French went so badly. But I'll take comfort from the fact that I never have to do it again! Ever!!

Does anyone else get terrible backache from the Sidgwick lecture block rooms? My back is screaming at me after only having had 3 exams in there so far.

Latest

Trending

Trending