The Student Room Group

Newcastle or Northumbria Uni for Psychology?!

I have to make my decision by Thurs 6th May and cannot decide!
I have conditional offers from both (AAA for Newc and ABB for Northumbria)
I know Newcastle is the more respected uni, but when I visited I felt quite bored by it (maybe just a bad open day?) and that it was quite snobby and more interested in the students funding their research than actually supporting them..
Northumbria felt a lot better for me, I'm just scared of being held back when it comes to applying for post-grad study and jobs..
Maybe I have the wrong impression of Newcastle?

Anyone with any experience of either of these unis or anything else I mentioned, I would love to hear from you as I'm finding this a really difficult decision!
Please help!
Reply 1
Have you applied for Bsc courses? I'm from near newcastle and generally having a degree from Newcastle would be alot better than from newcastle. I don't understand what you mean by funding research...... the projects in the last year? Maybe you've got the wrong impression from newcastle...

And if you want to do clinical psychology, or something as competitive, don't choose northumbria
Reply 2
I have a friend studying psychology at Newcastle. She loves it but finds it very had work, more so than my psychology degree at UEA (much less respected than Newcastle). I find that if you arent going to cope with lots of work and think that Northumbria would be easier in terms of workload then go for where you think you would feel comfortable. I am enjoying a really good social life and getting 1st throughout whilst my friend never goes out (is 2nd year now) and works solidly and only scrapes into 1st, however she will be in a much better position for jobs etc than me but she has worked for it. xxx
Reply 3
Newcastle! Uni's amazing, they have a brand new union, and the uni has a great reputation.
Tuition fees don't support research. Research grants do.

I would've thought Newcastle would be the better option, purely from a rep standpoint. If you wanted to do postgrad it would definitely be the wiser option.

Quick Reply

Latest