The Student Room Group

Sheffield OR Nottingham uni??

any ideas which one is better overall and for Civil Engineering. although Guardian uni guide places sheffield's civ dep 3rd in the country.
Original post by Flint_09
any ideas which one is better overall and for Civil Engineering. although Guardian uni guide places sheffield's civ dep 3rd in the country.

Don't go on which one is better, go on which university you like the look of and which course you think you will enjoy more. You could go to a higher ranking university, but hate it. There are much better things to base your decision on than a rank in a newspaper.
Reply 2
Original post by toronto353
Don't go on which one is better, go on which university you like the look of and which course you think you will enjoy more. You could go to a higher ranking university, but hate it. There are much better things to base your decision on than a rank in a newspaper.

thanks
They're both good. Go to whichever one you like the best, and completely ignore league tables because the only people who give the slightest bit of a damn about them are students on TSR, it seems, and the newspapers themselves.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
They're both good. Go to whichever one you like the best, and completely ignore league tables because the only people who give the slightest bit of a damn about them are students on TSR, it seems, and the newspapers themselves.

Just firmed Nottingham whoaaa
hope i don't regret it
Just firmed Nottingham whoaaa
hope i don't regret it

I'm at Nottingham and I can say now that it is a great university. Visit it though and have a look around, don't take my word for it.
Reply 6
I'm at Nottingham and I can say now that it is a great university. Visit it though and have a look around, don't take my word for it.

yh i came down there last month for a campus tour.
ru in the same building as the civ eng department is?

btw i'm thinking about applying for accomodation at Riverside point (?)
what do you think?
(edited 12 years ago)

what do you think?

the
Nah I'm in a different department. I'm not on campus so I don't know too much about accomodation, but I haven't heard a bad word from anyone about accommodation.
Reply 8
the
Nah I'm in a different department. I'm not on campus so I don't know too much about accomodation, but I haven't heard a bad word from anyone about accommodation.

k kl no worries
Reply 9

what do you think?

you might find it boring in riverside - it's quiet and tends to be more popular with postgrads to be honest. How come you're not considering on-campus accommodation? If it's because you really don't want catered, Broadgate Park is probably the best self-catered option
Reply 10

I'm going to Nottingham for civil engineering, so obviously my opinion would be come to Nottingham.

But I think Sheffield has the better reputation for civil engineering.
sheffield

The majority of the Guardian's ranking criteria are student satisfaction scores. Which are inherently flawed and don't tell you anything about the course. Students who want an easy ride would say they were very satisfied if the course was really easy, but if you wanted to actually learn a lot then you probably wouldn't be happy with a non-challenging course. You really have no idea what the students were expecting, or how they decided what was 'good' and what was 'ok': some people would call a page of essay feedback 'good', some would only call an hour long chat with their lecturer 'good' feedback.

Have you tried looking on the civil engineering website of each uni to look at their graduate destinations? Also look at the modules available to see how flexible the courses are, and which one fits best with what you want to study.
go catered on university park, there is a really good atmosphere in catered halls, i had a great time. cripps is nice ... lenton & wortley, derby, lincoln, hugh stu are good too.
Reply 14
Original post by TheOFactor
you might find it boring in riverside - it's quiet and tends to be more popular with postgrads to be honest. How come you're not considering on-campus accommodation? If it's because you really don't want catered, Broadgate Park is probably the best self-catered option

applied for Broad Gate self-caterd. wanted En-suite but none were left. So i'd to apply for en-suite studio as my first prefer..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending