The Student Room Group

Favourite Beers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Kolya
i tried a few belgium beers today and my favourite has to be the Trappistes Rochefort 10.

it's the nicest beer i've ever had in my life by far.
The 10's absolutely gorgeous! Thank God Rochefort's brewery didn't get destroyed by the fire last year. Other Quadrupels to seek out are St. Bernardus Abt 12 and, if you can get your hands on it, Westvleteren 12.
Reply 181
Original post by Rainy

Original post by Rainy
The 10's absolutely gorgeous! Thank God Rochefort's brewery didn't get destroyed by the fire last year. Other Quadrupels to seek out are St. Bernardus Abt 12 and, if you can get your hands on it, Westvleteren 12.

how about the rochefort 8? i have a chance to try that tonight.

either that or i could try a pale beer like duvel.
I've never tried these beers before, think I will buy some. I have been looking for something new to drink as well, and as I can't afford a decent bottle of spirits, this seems like a good plan.
Reply 183
Original post by Kolya
how about the rochefort 8? i have a chance to try that tonight.

either that or i could try a pale beer like duvel.
The 8's well worth a go, yes, but we always found that the 10 would only be about 20c more per bottle so inevitably skipped it (probably unfairly). As you seem to have access to some interesting beers, skip the Duvel (decent but easily available in the UK) and hit the Trappistes. Orval, Achel and Westmalle and in particular; Westvleteren can only be found at the brewery and Chimay's fairly well distributed in the UK.
Corona
Bud
Guinness (If it counts.., if not Peroni)
Reply 185
Original post by Rainy

Original post by Rainy
The 8's well worth a go, yes, but we always found that the 10 would only be about 20c more per bottle so inevitably skipped it (probably unfairly). As you seem to have access to some interesting beers, skip the Duvel (decent but easily available in the UK) and hit the Trappistes. Orval, Achel and Westmalle and in particular; Westvleteren can only be found at the brewery and Chimay's fairly well distributed in the UK.

there's a belgium pub in the city i'm staying at in china. considering the distant location, the selection of beers is superb. i tried the westmalle trappistes tripel and didn't enjoy it that much.

only having two beers tonight as i have a flight to catch in a couple of hours. i'm having a rochefort 8 atm, but preferred the 10. options for second are a couple of Deliriums, some vedett beers, trappist achel, and leffe. any worth a go? or should i just have a rochefort 10 before i leave this beautifully incongruous place?
Reply 186
Rainy
x
I went for a Delirium tremens. not my favourite taste, but was very, very drinkable - scarily so given the apv.

the trappistes rochefort 10 is still my favourite.
Original post by Kolya
there's a belgium pub in the city i'm staying at in china. considering the distant location, the selection of beers is superb. i tried the westmalle trappistes tripel and didn't enjoy it that much.

only having two beers tonight as i have a flight to catch in a couple of hours. i'm having a rochefort 8 atm, but preferred the 10. options for second are a couple of Deliriums, some vedett beers, trappist achel, and leffe. any worth a go? or should i just have a rochefort 10 before i leave this beautifully incongruous place?

Have you tried Chimay Red or Blue? Worth a try if they're available.

PS are you living in Guangzhou? I've been there a couple of times, good party city!
My favourite is Tooheys Extra Dry :cool: shame I can't get it at my local any more (he is no longer importing it :sad:)
Duff beer :smile: mmmmmm yummy!!
Reply 190
Original post by EssexDan86

Original post by EssexDan86
Have you tried Chimay Red or Blue? Worth a try if they're available.

PS are you living in Guangzhou? I've been there a couple of times, good party city!

I tried Chimay Blue and did not think much of it. however, i'd already had two 9.5%+ beers before trying the Chimay Blue, so my ability to appreciate it was not as good as it might have been had i tried the Blue first! but i enjoyed even the rochefort 8 more than the chimay blue.

(and i live in shenzhen, not guangzhou. however the belgium pub is in xi'an (in shanxi) anyway, not guangdong. i do not know a source of good beer in guangdong. if you know a place, please tell me!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 191
Original post by Kolya

You obviously have a taste for the strong, dark, malty ones! Keep an eye out for that Sint Bernadus Abt 12 and perhaps have another go on that Chimay Bleu from fresh. You might like the 'Dubbel' style of beer also.

I really like the Delirium Tremens! They also do a darker one called Nocturnum that you would probably like. Delirium's tied to a bar in Brussels (called Cafe Delirium) that's legendary among tourists for its ridiculously big beer menu. It's more like an encyclopaedia!

Just keep on working your way through the beers before going back to your favourites - it's all good fun. There're some good beer-related websites and fora out there also.
Reply 192
Original post by Rainy

Original post by Rainy
You obviously have a taste for the strong, dark, malty ones! Keep an eye out for that Sint Bernadus Abt 12 and perhaps have another go on that Chimay Bleu from fresh. You might like the 'Dubbel' style of beer also.

I really like the Delirium Tremens! They also do a darker one called Nocturnum that you would probably like. Delirium's tied to a bar in Brussels (called Cafe Delirium) that's legendary among tourists for its ridiculously big beer menu. It's more like an encyclopaedia!

Just keep on working your way through the beers before going back to your favourites - it's all good fun. There're some good beer-related websites and fora out there also.

the chimay blue had a chinese label, rather than being a direct import, so it is possible it was different from what i would get were i to buy the beer in belgium.
Fan of quite a wide range across Europe; a trip to Germany in March ignited the beery spirit in me.

My favourite Bavarian beers were definitely Augustiner Dunkel and Hacker-Pschorr Weisse. Also a big fan of the Abbey beers, quite liked Grimbergen Blanche, Leffe Brune and Duvel.

Closer to home: London Pride :coma:
Reply 194
Cobra.
San Miguel :wink: oh yeah
Reply 196
Original post by Jordanaimee
San Miguel :wink: oh yeah

Tried this for the first time last week.

I was annoyed I hadn't tried it sooner to be honest.
Reply 197
Peroni,
Staropramen,
Brew Dog Punk IPA.
Reply 198
Original post by py0alb
Hard to compare, as they serve entirely different functions. You wouldn't sit in a beer garden on a sunny day drinking a shot of single malt would you?

However, you could drink scotch on the rocks.
Reply 199
Original post by MattyEFC
However, you could drink scotch on the rocks.

It's hardly a refreshing alternative to a nice cold beer or cider is it?

Hot day -> thirsty -> long drink required

Afternoon -> all-day drinking -> take it easy, don't drink spirits

Both good reasons not to start knocking back scotch on a sunny afternoon.

Quick Reply

Latest