The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My room: It's a good size with a basin, sadly no en-suite but I wasn't to bothered about that. I can survive at home without a shower in my room so it shouldnt make a difference when im down here.

My flat: Well im in my second year and decided to stay on campus as i never really clicked with my flat mates last year and all my friends were living with the same people they shared with in the first year. I haven't been too lucky with my flat, three are chinese exchange students who kinda stick together and the other guy I hardly ever see as he is off LURPSing (can i use that word?) so going for a quiet pint on doesn't happen that often unless i want to make the trip into town and meet up with friends there. The flat is a good size for six people, a bigger fridge and freezer would be nice but everywhere has that problem.

My college: Furness. What can I say. The college is great. In the first year it kinda gets drummed into your head that Fylde are scum but once you're here a while you learn that colleges don't matter and at the end of the day its just some way to create an identity so you don't feel lost in this concrete sprawl. Trevor though, in my opinion is the best bar on campus. It could do with a makeover but that just lends to its charm. It feels cosy compared to some of the bars, with its little nooks to sit in.

My course: I'm a combined History and Politics student. I had never studied politics until I came here but I have found it the most interesting. Reading can be a bit heavy sometimes as both subjects require alot to be done but hey isn't every course like that. Both subjects ask for essays due in before xmas and after easter with a summer exam. It has been a bit of a pain sometimes because they are popular courses so books can be hard to come by for the popular questions.

Money: I'm lucky my parents have payed my tuition fees and give me a little to help out each week so I haven't done too bad at all on the money front this year. I guess i spend 30 or 40 quid a week but thats mainly because I have to get a taxi back up to this place when I go out unless i crash at a mates but theres only so many nights you can face sleeping on someones floor. My best advice is to pick a nite through the week for your "big night out". Going out on a thursday has worked out so much cheaper this year than going out on a saturday (and the music is better). Bars in town have cheap nights through the week and its easier to get served as there arent the locals out. Plus it saves on taxi fare if you go to shaggas and catch the free bus home.

Overall University Experience: A million times better than last year even if my flat stinks. It feels like my second home now I know where all the cheap pubs and little shortcuts are.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hey Retardchar - v. curious to know who you are as I'm also a first yr doing Eng Lit, Creative Writing and Women's Studies - must have seen you around!
Originally Posted by sapphisticated
Hey Retardchar - v. curious to know who you are as I'm also a first yr doing Eng Lit, Creative Writing and Women's Studies - must have seen you around!

I'm the loner girl who's always sat on her own in lectures. :p: Seriously though, I have no idea how to tell you who I am... Other than to wear a badge saying "HI I'M RETARDCHAR ON TSR" to lectures, which I shan't be doing, haha. OOH I know, I wear a coat with big red buttons, hahahahaha. NOW see if you spot me!
Reply 23
Hmm...badges, sounds like a plan!
You know we'd look cool. :cool:
Reply 25
Retardchar
You know we'd look cool. :cool:

Not that we don't already :cool:
Reply 26
My room: Excellent. En-suite so the morning routine is nice and easy. Theres more than plenty of space for someone who typicaly just moves from bed to computer and computer to bed :biggrin:

My flat: Filled with nice people. Don't spend much time with them but I'm a loner so that doesn't bother me much. Just need to be comfortable if I come across someone in the kitchen and that I am, so it works fine. A few problems with the kitchen though. Fridges and Freezers refuse to stay on their feet so spend most of their time wobbling and one of the Freezers might well be broken. Only came across that possibility this afternoon (rarely used the things) so a bit worried about it - needs more investigation before I resign myself to expecting yet more of my deposit to vanish :frown:

My college: Cartmel. Very little evidence of any college spirit here but its a friendly enough place. It feels comfortable and I suppose thats the basic importance.

Major: Politics - Its been excellent. Good quality of lectures in the field that interests me most. Workload hasn't been a trouble at all. First essay is due in tomorrow and its just about finished. Have to shave 55 words off it but I appear to be devouring a bottle of chardonnay right now... so that'll happen tomorrow :redface:

Minor: Criminology - Meh. My seminars have been a bit slow and boring. Lectures can be the same really but the subject matter itself is interesting enough. I did not enjoy writing the essay for this subject. Felt there was too much reliance on referencing and too little on independent thought. Hopefully i'll find myself to be wrong on this - I do not fancy writing many more essays where I have to spend as much time finding support for my opinions as I do translating them to page.

Minor: Philosophy - What On Earth? I fear most of this is going over my head. Its almost interesting to be fair but I spend too much time thinking it utter tripe to take it seriously. This is the subject that i'll only wearily go to seminars for. Its also close to my earliest start, which doesn't help.

Money: My own business :tongue: Nah - have aid from parents and a saving mentality which has been drilled into me from childhood. This coupled with the fact I don't go out much mean i've not had to be particulary worried about money this term.

Overall University Experience: Not what I thought it would be. Fact is I look forward to christmas because its a month to spend with old friends rather than feeling its a month away from my new ones.
Reply 27
Must admit I am really looking forward to meeting up with my old friends again, I do enjoy my time with my new friends but it's just not the same :p: 'Spose it's because I've known the old chaps for 7 years!
OK, here's my version!

My room: Not bad at all. It's not en-suite but it's not really proved to a problem. I've rarely had to wait to use either the toilet or shower and both have been kept relatively clean by the cleaners too. Not the best view (I look over the InfoLab) but generally not bad.

My flat: One word. Fantastic. The people are great and we really do feel like a little family now. It'll be weird not seeing them over Christmas.

My college: Pendle - great college. It was my first choice! We don't do that many college activities now (after Fresher's week) but when we do get together, like at the Christmas Ball, we do have a good time.

Major: Management & Organistion. So far so good. We're covering the stuff I thought we would be and I'm enjoying it generally - apart from when I'm writing 2000 word essays that are worth 50% of the course! I'm also the course rep and now the LUSU Management School faculty rep.

Minor: Philosophy Not too keen! A bit too, well, philosophical for me!

Minor: Politics Not bad, lectures have been OK and subject interests me. Not enough to tempt me to switch my major but still a decent subject.

Money: Ahem... moving swiftly on!

Overall University Experience:
So far, so good. Great campus, great people. I'm relieved - this is my second shot at University (I originally went to UMIST in Manchester before it merged with Manchester Uni) and I'm pleased to say I think i've made the right choice this time around. Looking forward to Christmas but will be looking forward to Lent term too.
My room: Ensuite Cartmel rooms are fantastic. Shame I've knocked a hole in the wall (dont know how?), ripped down the shower curtains, made a hole in the wooden side board, got black marks all over the walls etc. I dont see much of that deposit coming back?!

My flat: Are all very nice. We dont go out together or anything but there are no problems between us and everyone is nice to talk to whilst making food.

My college: Cartmel, no college spirit I agree. Plus miles and miles from where all my lectures are but never mind.

My course: BBA Management, the course itself seems fine. The people who run it are really nice and very helpful. The abroad part was not what I expected and I have dropped off that and I would prefer less compulsory things but overall I'm fairly happy with it. At the moment I'm taking Marketing, Statistics for Management and Accounting. Though I hate maths so obviously not over the moon with the accounting and statistics but stats is compulsory and accounting has to be done sometime!

Money: no problems

Overall University Experience: Happy but missing home a lot. Its a very long journey home due to cacky trains and I wasnt expecting to get as home sick as I have done.
Reply 30
*bump* for Annat and anyone else that's interested :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending