The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Shakeel
One thing I do not understand is why when you site a quotation from a case is that why ALL ER it can be Entores Ltd v Miles Far East Corporation Ltd (1955) 2 All ER 493 ,at 495 and when cite a case from QB or Kb it has to be Brinkibon Ltd v Stahag Stahl [1983] 2 AC 34 at p.42. Why is the word P. (page) included in the first one?

I have never been told this is of any significance?? :confused:

I don't put `p.` when its a case, just "per Lord CCCCC at 374"

I would be interested if it is significant!! Although its never affected my marks, so not that bothered!! :wink:
Reply 2
Shakeel
One thing I do not understand is why when you site a quotation from a case is that why ALL ER it can be Entores Ltd v Miles Far East Corporation Ltd (1955) 2 All ER 493 ,at 495 and when cite a case from QB or Kb it has to be Brinkibon Ltd v Stahag Stahl [1983] 2 AC 34 at p.42. Why is the word P. (page) included in the first one?

I actually dont think theres a rule about that. is this just what youve seen in textbooks, because the way quotations are cited tend to vary from book to book. i just site it like: Brinkibon Ltd v Stahag Stahl [1983] 2 AC 34 p.42. i put "per Lord Denning" or whoever, in the main text of the essay, and footnote the citation, but i put the case name and date in the main text as well.
Reply 3
Ariel4
I actually dont think theres a rule about that. is this just what youve seen in textbooks, because the way quotations are cited tend to vary from book to book. i just site it like: Brinkibon Ltd v Stahag Stahl [1983] 2 AC 34 p.42. i put "per Lord Denning" or whoever, in the main text of the essay, and footnote the citation, but i put the case name and date in the main text as well.

thats what I do too
Well never seen p in any citions and think if u were to write a cition with a p in it like this (1988) All ER p263 in a exam you would lose marks
My tutor was addressing this issue the other day and while most people tend to put case...at 231 etc instead of ...at p231, as long as you are consistent then it shouldnt affect your marks. Thats my uni's policy anyway.
Reply 6
Shakeel

There isn't such a rule of citation. You probably just misread.

You either cite "case X at 123" or "case X, p.123". The use of the former is far more prevalent so is probably the better of the two. Note that you don't need to use the word 'at' when you put in the page abbreviation - simply put a comma after the case name and law report information.

And it doesn't matter what law report the case comes from.

Hope this clears things up.
Reply 7
Cheers guys for clearing that up.

I almost done my work, i jus need some clearing up on how to cite journals like the ones below.

© 2005 Oxford University Press

OXFORD JOURNAL OF LEGAL STUDIES

September 2005

OJLS 2005.25(419)

LENGTH: 13507 words

TOPIC: CONSTITUTIONAL LAW

TITLE: Montesquieu's Mistakes and the True Meaning of Separation

AUTHOR: LAURENCE CLAUS

NEW LAW JOURNAL

13 April 2001

COPYRIGHT (C) 2001 BUTTERWORTH & CO (PUBLISHERS) LTD

Vol 151 No 6979 p 533

LENGTH: 2418 words

SECTION: THE PRACTITIONER -- LANDLORD AND TENANT

TITLE: "Ready, able and willing" -- sort of

AUTHOR: HW Wilkinson

Would the 1st one be: CLAUS L, 'Montesquieu's Mistakes and the True Meaning of Separation' September 2005,OJLS

and the 2nd one: HW Wilkinson HW,"Ready, able and willing" -- sort of,April 2001 151 NLJ 533

Latest

Trending

Trending