The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Put simply, you'd be better off beating yourself with a stick, either way you're going to die.
Reply 21
Such an abnormal deficit is liable to degrade essential muscle-mass and curb your metabolism to the point where even a regular diet would incur precipitous weight-gain, and the resulting nutritional deficiency will make you so lethargic that you won't even realise what a moribund waste of skin you've become until it's already too late to change.

Here's an idea: calculate your BMR, maintain a sensible diet and adopt an exercise regime that will allow you to indulge on occasion even after you've attained your 'ideal' weight. I'm cycling eighty miles a week (to and from work), and I've never felt better; what's more, I can eat as much as I like with no repercussions.
Reply 22
You do realize, right, that the reason even doctors and dieticians would ask you not to eat that few calories is not merely because of possibility of gaining weight (your theory is, after all, a theory, I can't agree/disagree with it)? Your body needs nutrients in the proper amount to function properly. Keep up your 'diet' for few months and you'll ruin your health! You'll lose muscles, lose your strength, become and look sick, have low blood pressure/low haemoglobin/hypoglycemia........and a lot more. Why would someone willingly put themselves through that?!

The better idea is to see a dietician, plan out a diet and join the gym. You'll lose weight as fast, with the added benefits of looking and feeling good. :smile:

ps: Someone had a success story here, but if you keep that up for several months on end........*sigh*
Do you do realise that a diet like this will make all other aspects of life very hard? Good luck studying, going to sleep or just doing anything while constantly being hungry. It's a stupid idea. Lift weights, do cardio, eat a lot of protein but reduce the carbs; and you'll lose weight without getting hungry.
Original post by Anonymous
Anon or Delete, please.

I weigh just under 15st, I'm female and I'm only 5'4". So yes, I'm desperately overweight, and yes, it is my fault. I used to be skinny (8st) until Age 14, then I started staying in a lot because I was getting bullied in secondary school, and snacked on all this weight over the years. Anyways, I've been thinking consuming up to only 500 calories a day to lose weight.

My questions are:

1. If I keep consistant with this 'diet' - how long will it take me to reach 9st? What's a rough estimate?
2. What are helpful exercises to go along with this? For now, I'm planning on walkin home from college (I go three days per week) every day, which is a good four mile trek, and maybe swimming one hour a week. Along with this, 10 situps a day.

Now, before someone screams "ohmfgawd starvation diet" or "you'll just put it all back on again because your body will cling onto the few calories you do consume and store it as fat". I know that's not strictly true, because it takes two weeks, roughly, for starvation mode to kick in, and when it does kick in, it only lowers your BMR to 30% - 60% but when you're consuming so few calories, it's scientifically impossible to gain weight. As you know, to lose weight you must burn more calories than you're consuming, and if you lay in bed all day, you would naturally burn a good 1000+ calories because your bodily organs needs calories to run, like the heart, brain, etc.

The reason people gain weight back so quickly after a diet or restriction isn't because of starvation mode, but because they binge it all back on. Something I'd be very careful to avoid after I reached my target weight. I do know, due to hunger pangs, it's not possible to constantly consume so little, so obviously I do acknowledge there would be off-days where I'll eat more to fend them off, but then continue. I also plan to incorporate all the nutrition I'll need by eating different stuff, each day.

I'm only really asking this for people to answer my questions, not try to discourage me using scaremongering myths.
:smile:

P.S. Sorry if this comes across as bitchy, I'm just tired of hearing about that. I've did this before and I lost a significant amount of weight in a short time and did not gain it back, so I speak partially from experience.

Well it's good that you want to lose weight, but you are doing it wrong.
That type of diet will make you lethargic and will just be torturous.

Just do this instead:

Firstly cut out as much/all carbs and sugar from your diet, and of course eat less then what you do.
Stop snacking.
Do lots of cardio exercise - 6 + ours a week really.

That should get you to lose weight, look good, and be very healthy.
Reply 25
Anon or Delete, please.

I weigh just under 15st, I'm female and I'm only 5'4". So yes, I'm desperately overweight, and yes, it is my fault. I used to be skinny (8st) until Age 14, then I started staying in a lot because I was getting bullied in secondary school, and snacked on all this weight over the years. Anyways, I've been thinking consuming up to only 500 calories a day to lose weight.

My questions are:

1. If I keep consistant with this 'diet' - how long will it take me to reach 9st? What's a rough estimate?
2. What are helpful exercises to go along with this? For now, I'm planning on walkin home from college (I go three days per week) every day, which is a good four mile trek, and maybe swimming one hour a week. Along with this, 10 situps a day.

Now, before someone screams "ohmfgawd starvation diet" or "you'll just put it all back on again because your body will cling onto the few calories you do consume and store it as fat". I know that's not strictly true, because it takes two weeks, roughly, for starvation mode to kick in, and when it does kick in, it only lowers your BMR to 30% - 60% but when you're consuming so few calories, it's scientifically impossible to gain weight. As you know, to lose weight you must burn more calories than you're consuming, and if you lay in bed all day, you would naturally burn a good 1000+ calories because your bodily organs needs calories to run, like the heart, brain, etc.

The reason people gain weight back so quickly after a diet or restriction isn't because of starvation mode, but because they binge it all back on. Something I'd be very careful to avoid after I reached my target weight. I do know, due to hunger pangs, it's not possible to constantly consume so little, so obviously I do acknowledge there would be off-days where I'll eat more to fend them off, but then continue. I also plan to incorporate all the nutrition I'll need by eating different stuff, each day.

I'm only really asking this for people to answer my questions, not try to discourage me using scaremongering myths.

P.S. Sorry if this comes across as bitchy, I'm just tired of hearing about that. I've did this before and I lost a significant amount of weight in a short time and did not gain it back, so I speak partially from experience.

Don't mean to nag or say things that you already no but I'd sincerely advise against going on such a restricted calorie intake. It's a ridiculous thing to aim for and isn't a long term solution. Not only will you feel horrendous, constantly feeling light headed and faint you won't be able to concentrate. You said you were at college, right, you need to keep on your peak can't let dieting take over. Being on any diet is so time consuming, takes it out of you but crash dieting is nuts. You'll get trapped in this horrible cycle and it's not a nice place to be at all. What feels so much nicer is setting yourself doable targets (1-2lbs a week is usually whats cited for long term weight loss) and reaching them and making sensible decisions on what you put into your body and you feel so much better for it. Calorie counting can be so destructive, when you have that day when you just want to eat everything and feel horrible about yourself afterwards, which often means you've lost motivation. Eat sensibly, make wise decisions and get out in the fresh air and exercise regularly. It's a change of mentality instead of just restricting your diet severely, a different way of thinking about your health, but when you start feeling healthier and you know its because you actually are not because you're a couple of pounds lighter but because you have more energy. You're likely to lose more weight and keep it off if you do things slower and see it as a process, crash dieting just washes you out. There is so much more to life than getting hung up on your weight, don't let it take over. Losing weight is about more than just shifting it, it's about accepting this new way of being and getting rid of things that were making you unhappy and keeping you bigger beforehand. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll feel lots better eventually, but don't get consumed by it. Going to try and do the same thing :smile:
Reply 26
I advise against this. You could start swimming, and eating more healthily instead of practically destroying yourself.
Reply 27
The trouble is at some point, you'll start eating normally again and it'll all go back on - even if it's not bingeing, going back to a normal amount after 3-500 will make you grow. Or, even worse, it'll make you so mentally messed up around food that you'll binge and starve, binge and starve. It's easy to say 'I won't binge' but consuming so little makes your brain act in very bizarre ways, as your body essentially believes you are starving to death. Also, eating so little destroys muscle mass as well as fat, which means you'll look comparatively larger and find it harder to eat without putting on weight after.

I think after a while you might find it quite hard to exercise on this diet due to feeling weak and faint.

I know you must want to lose the weight quickly, but remember every change you can make towards a healthy sensible diet and more exercise will help you lose a bit more weight. And it makes more sense to make it a change you could stick with for the rest of your life. Every step helps, and even losing a little weight will help you feel better and motivate you.
Just chop it all off with a knife.
Reply 29
Anon or Delete, please.

My questions are:

Loving this extra little detail!
However, I used to have 600-700 cals a day, and now I have kidney, stomach and pancreas damage, an irregular heartbeat, along with severe anaemia. I'm on a lot of medication.

Don't do it.
OP, I'd go to the doctors to see if they can refer you to a dietician. They'll be able to give you some sound advice regarding what to eat/how much exercise to do. The way you're wanting to do it is not healthy, and it sounds like a crash diet (which are proven not to work, anyway)

How old are you as well? If you drink, try cut out alcohol from your life for a while. SO many calories are hiding in a vodka and coke it's unreal.
Original post by IamAM
You do realize, right, that the reason even doctors and dieticians would ask you not to eat that few calories is not merely because of possibility of gaining weight (your theory is, after all, a theory, I can't agree/disagree with it)? Your body needs nutrients in the proper amount to function properly. Keep up your 'diet' for few months and you'll ruin your health! You'll lose muscles, lose your strength, become and look sick, have low blood pressure/low haemoglobin/hypoglycemia........and a lot more. Why would someone willingly put themselves through that?!

The better idea is to see a dietician, plan out a diet and join the gym. You'll lose weight as fast, with the added benefits of looking and feeling good. :smile:

ps: Someone had a success story here, but if you keep that up for several months on end........*sigh*

As a matter of fact, NICE guidelines allow very low calorie diets (under 600 calories) as a management of obesity, as long as it is done under medical supervision.
As for weight loss without medical supervision, a diet of under 1000 calories is acceptable for a maximum period of 12 weeks. This is not my opinion based on rumours etc, but clinical guidelines that doctors use.

OP, obviously, if you want to do this, you will do it regardless of what people on here say. I think it will be very difficult, it would probably be easier to fast completely (this is dangerous if done for a long time, and much care is needed when coming out of a fast; I would, by no means recommend this). People have already mentioned that you will have no energy to exercise, but it will also make you very, very hungry. Personally, if I burn more than about 500 calories at the gym, I can't not eat - normally, when i'm hungry, the feeling goes away after a while, but after the gym it just persists.

My advice, don't try this, or if you do, only for a couple of weeks. It would be better to eat around 1000 calories - I am you height, but my BMI is around 19.8 and for me, reducing my intake to 1200 is enough to lose 1 kg a week. Obviously, you weigh more, so you will be able to lose more. At least this way you are more likely to stick to this.
Reply 32
As a matter of fact, NICE guidelines allow very low calorie diets (under 600 calories) as a management of obesity, as long as it is done under medical supervision.
As for weight loss without medical supervision, a diet of under 1000 calories is acceptable for a maximum period of 12 weeks. This is not my opinion based on rumours etc, but clinical guidelines that doctors use.

OP, obviously, if you want to do this, you will do it regardless of what people on here say. I think it will be very difficult, it would probably be easier to fast completely (this is dangerous if done for a long time, and much care is needed when coming out of a fast; I would, by no means recommend this). People have already mentioned that you will have no energy to exercise, but it will also make you very, very hungry. Personally, if I burn more than about 500 calories at the gym, I can't not eat - normally, when i'm hungry, the feeling goes away after a while, but after the gym it just persists.

My advice, don't try this, or if you do, only for a couple of weeks. It would be better to eat around 1000 calories - I am you height, but my BMI is around 19.8 and for me, reducing my intake to 1200 is enough to lose 1 kg a week. Obviously, you weigh more, so you will be able to lose more. At least this way you are more likely to stick to this.

If you can provide a source for that, fair play on opposing the general argument of crash and crazy dieting. :smile:

However, I don't think it's true.

Look at:

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG43NICEGuideline.pdf

Section 1.2.4.30 and around there. All suggest around 500-600 deficit of your normal calorie intake. Which is how I've always known it to be.
Original post by n65uk
If you can provide a source for that, fair play on opposing the general argument of crash and crazy dieting. :smile:

However, I don't think it's true.

Look at:

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG43NICEGuideline.pdf

Section 1.2.4.30 and around there. All suggest around 500-600 deficit of your normal calorie intake. Which is how I've always known it to be.

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/11000/30364/30364.pdf

Page 22

if the person is obese and has reached a plateau in weight loss

and OP wants to loose 6 stone this way....
Reply 35
To lose weight quickly, you still need to keep your metabolism up. In the first few weeks of this diet you would lose a lot of weight relatively quickly, but doing this for any length of time is very likely to send your body into starvation. You would actually lose more weight, keep it off, and still be able to eat normally once you had reached your goal weight if you aim for 1200 calories a day and minimal carbs :smile:. It's totally manageable and has great results, trust me :smile:. Also, drinking lots of water speeds up your metabolism, as do Acai tablets. I got mine from Holland and Barratt, and they are 100% natural and safe, but Acai fruit is a 'superfood' which speeds up your metabolism. I've been losing about 3lb a week, with minimal exercise, and have gone from 9st 11 to 9st 2, and it seems to be much more effective (and safe!!) than when I've done crash diets like the one you're talking about. Good luck!
Original post by LouisVuitton43
if the person is obese and has reached a plateau in weight loss

and OP wants to loose 6 stone this way....

Yes, I know. I never recommended the OP should do this... I'm just saying that eating like this for a short period of time is unlikely to have dire consequences
Anon or Delete, please.

My questions are:

I cba to read past the first paragraph sorry but why don't you try slimming world? It's very easy, I'm not even overweight BMIwise but I joined two weeks ago and so far I've lost 6.5lbs in my first week. It's a much better approach and changes your habits so that afterwards you're healthy for life
300-500 just isnt enough. Regardless of whether you've lost on this amount or not, it's just not healthy. There is a reason why the recommended daily amount is 2000. If you're wanting to loose weight, cut it down to 1000-1500 minimum. Your weight loss would be more significant if it was in that range, with some exercise and a balanced diet. Plenty of protein, fruit, vegetables...
Being on only 300-500 makes you at a much higher risk of "binging" because the body is just craving food. Also when you get back to a normal diet, the body can cling to the food and store it as fat, because it doesnt know if you're going to starve it again.
You said in your post that the body needs 1000 just to function without any exercise. So dont go under that. If you want the weight to stay off, it needs to be a healthy diet so you can build a healthy relationship with food. and 300 cals a day is not a healthy relationship with food.
Original post by Polly1101
Quote:

"I've did this before and I lost a significant amount of weight in a short time and did not gain it back"

Given that you were 8stone and now 15stone, im guessing you did gain back the weight you lost, unless you weighed more than 15 stone before you tried this diet.

agreed

and you do gain back without binging cos your body gets confused

Latest

Trending

Trending