The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So with Aggy and Dunne out for the start of the season, what's your preferred starting XI for the West Ham United game?

Although I'm not a huge fan of 4-4-2, I'd say keep it simple for the first few games.

(right to left)

Given/Guzan

Lichaj
Vlaar
Clark
Warnock

Albrighton
El Ahmadi
Delph
N'Zogbia

Bent
Delfouneso/Weimann/Holmann

Original post by boumavilla
Just thought I'd post here, anyone interested in joining my fantasy football league this year can join using the following codes. Just quote me if you're in! :wink:

Classic: 510925-132899
Head to Head: 510925-132979

Thanks!

Which website are you using?
Given

Lowton
Vlaar
Clark
New LB (Cresswell?)

Makoun
El Ahmadi

N'Zogbia
Ireland
Holman

Bent

I don't know which flank Holman plays on but when N'Zogbia was a beast for Wigan he was used as a right inside forward and played ahead of Rodallega most of the time, so that's where we should be looking to sit him.

Gardner or Bannan in place of Makoun if we can't keep hold of him for whatever reason.
Reply 1982
With what we have now -
Given
Lowton - Vlaar - Clark - Lichaj
El Ahmadi
Holman - Ireland - N'Zogbia
Bent - Weimann

Tough choice between Ireland and Delph though, i'd expect them both to get a go in the early games.
I also have a feeling we've still got some new signings to come in, possibly a new striker and also another defender. So we'll see.

Whether Lambert decides to use Makoun as well would also maybe change things.
No chance of Ireland playing in a two man central midfield.
I think Makoun may be leaving due to work permit issues, which is a shame. He wasn't given a squad number either.

I don't really like Ireland to be honest, although I think he deserves a chance. He works best playing behind the striker I think.

Hutton should go but I have a bit of faith in Warnock. Playing Lowton and Lichaj at FB just spells vulnerability.

Holmann can play on the right flank or up front. I think he can play on the left flank as well to be honest. Wingers these days will play on either as cutting inside is a popular tactic.

Original post by Colbert
No chance of Ireland playing in a two man central midfield.

This. He's really an alternative to a striker or winger.
(edited 11 years ago)
Really pleased I saw a couple of the US friendlies online while in Canada
Original post by jackf1337
So with Aggy and Dunne out for the start of the season, what's your preferred starting XI for the West Ham United game?

Although I'm not a huge fan of 4-4-2, I'd say keep it simple for the first few games.

(right to left)

Given/Guzan

Lichaj
Vlaar
Clark
Warnock

Albrighton
El Ahmadi
Delph
N'Zogbia

Bent
Delfouneso/Weimann/Holmann

Which website are you using?

The official Premier league one. You in?
Link: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Holman can play on the right as his first choice but he can play on the left to cut in inside. He's also very good with his left foot so cutting in from either wing is no problem from Brett! He can also play behind the striker.
Reply 1987
Vlaar's looking like a great signing off the field so far, then. :awesome: I think he'll do well on it as well; you don't get into contention for the Dutch national team by being mediocre!
Reply 1988

Holman can play on the right as his first choice but he can play on the left to cut in inside. He's also very good with his left foot so cutting in from either wing is no problem from Brett! He can also play behind the striker.

Are you making a league for the guys on here?
Original post by Aust1n
Are you making a league for the guys on here?

I can if you like? :smile:
Reply 1990
Go ahead. Or any of you can join mine...

PL website fantasy league 589923-150841
Original post by Aust1n
Go ahead. Or any of you can join mine...

PL website fantasy league 589923-150841

Joined yours! :smile:

Here's mine: 510925-132899 and 510925-132979 (head to head)

And here is the TSR Aston Villa Society League: 510925-151551
Reply 1992

And here is the TSR Aston Villa Society League: 510925-151551

Joined this
Bit disappointed today against Forest

I will make a team very soon :smile:

Nice to know Holmann is versatile
Original post by Rock Fan
Bit disappointed today against Forest

Agreed.
What happened? I was reading the match commentary updates until half-time when it was 0-0 and Villa were playing very well! Something must have happened at half time for them to lose 3-1?!
Agreed.
What happened? I was reading the match commentary updates until half-time when it was 0-0 and Villa were playing very well! Something must have happened at half time for them to lose 3-1?!

not really sure what went wrong, having said that Bannan scored a good free kick
Reply 1997
I went to the Forest game, as well as the Burton and Peterboro' matches. It's been a very similar story in all 3 games unfortunately - very little end product in and around the box. Our players seem to get into the final third and go clueless. Not many crosses coming in either - although this isn't so much of a critisism, as I wouldnt be able to give a very confident answer if you were to ask me who these crosses would be intended for.

First half against Forest we looked pretty fantastic on the ball. Lots of quick, sharp passes between the midfield and defence. Actually playing the ball out of the back 4 instead of hoofing it was pretty wonderful to see. It's very clear that they've been told that hoofing should only be done as a last resort. Even with defenders coming under pressure they would look for the short pass either forward or backwards instead or smacking the ball up field which is something I havent seen Villa do in an long time.

Zog had his best game in a Villa shirt in the first half. Taking players on, running with the ball, linking with the midfield well, and generally being a nuisance, be it on either wing or in the middle. Second half he didnt do much at all. Fonzy was up top in the first half, but he didnt have much of a look in. With Zog, Bannan, Holman, Ireland and Al Hamadi all in the starting line up you wouldve expected balls being played over the top or through the middle alot - or some sort of creativity at the very least. What we actually got was...not an awful lot.

Like I said, we kept the ball very well, Forest didnt really have a look in first half. We just didnt do much with the ball in the box at all, for the whole game.

Vlaar did well though. Looked strong, physical, will deal with the Premier League well, he strikes me as the kind of player who will enjoy the extra physicality that he will have to contend with, rather than being put off/not coping with it. There was a great moment after about 20 minutes when he made his way to about 30/40 yards from the Forest goal with the ball, Villa fans shouted SHOOT, and he did. It wasnt very far over!

Warnock had a nightmare. A proper shocker. I was hoping he would rise to the challenge and take the LB spot for his own this season, as I don't think Stevens is up to it yet, but on that display I would go as far as saying we need a replacement asap. He has been given many chances already, this is one too far for me.

As for Forest actually winning the game, well...I think they only had 3 shots on goal. Not really a bad thing, football is just that way sometimes, and we had no more shots on goal. The first was a good finish, Guzan had no chance. Then there was a direct freekick which was hit to go under the wall as the wall jumped, and it worked perfectly. The other goal was either the fault of Warnock or Clark - their forward on the right of the box was completly unmarked, strolled into the box, and finished well.

I'd like to say we deserved the win, but honestly, I can't. The Forest win by 2 goals is a bit flattering, maybe a draw wouldve been fair given we had more possesion...but they were more decisive in front of goal and that's all that matters sometimes. I am a little concerned that early in the season we might see a few repeats performances like this, until such time as Bent is fully fit and the team is gelling better in regard to movement/play in the final third.
Lerner has sold Cleveland Browns and there's more rumours he might sell Villa as well, although I can't see that happening. I also understand according to the Forest vital website that Hutton will sign for them on Friday. Also I have put this second society under the group page, so it should be easier for any new Villa fans to find us.
Reply 1999
The Guardian's season preview for you guys, if anyone's interested. :h: What sort of finish are you guys hoping for/expecting at the moment?

Latest