The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft
The Guardian's season preview for you guys, if anyone's interested. :h: What sort of finish are you guys hoping for/expecting at the moment?

Depends who we get in but I would hope we would at least get somewhere around mid-table and not battling relegation.
Reply 2001
If Paulo Lambere can get Norwich to near mid table with the team he had I am positive he can scrape our underachievers into the top ten.
The Guardian's season preview for you guys, if anyone's interested. :h: What sort of finish are you guys hoping for/expecting at the moment?

That was a fairly good review of it all. I'm expecting a top 10 finish now. But in all honesty, I think a season of avoiding relegation altogether would be fine! :redface:

I'm not expecting any miracles from Lambert this season. I'm hoping to finish about 12th without being in contention for relegation.
Reply 2004
top half would be great, I don't that's being unrealistic, our team is more than capable of finishing top half. Last year was almost totally down to Mcleish, certain players were also completely rubbish, but Mcleish made it almost impossible for anybody to excel with the way he played.
If Lambert gets it right, then he should be able to take us higher than he did Norwich as I feel we have a better team. I'm not saying that I wouldn't accept anything less, Lambert has my full support, and as long as he doesn't relegate us then he'll have it past the end of next season!
Oh yeah Alex McLeish's football was the worst I ever seen, even worse than O'Leary and John Gregory, I dreaded going to Villa games towards the end.
Reply 2006
557498_10151144899809493_149665660_n.jpg
Original post by Aust1n
557498_10151144899809493_149665660_n.jpg

I just had that sent to me on facebook
MON is at it again. £12 million for Steven Fletcher :afraid:
Original post by Colbert
MON is at it again. £12 million for Steven Fletcher :afraid:

Let him pay over the odds for average British players and then he cripples the club with a high wage bill.
Bad news, Marc Albrighton out until October with a broken foot, meanwhile Stephen Warnock has been left behind in Villa's trip to Germany to face Werder Bremen.
Oh goodie! No Warnock!
Shame about Albrighton.

Is it looking like Cresswell for our new left-back then? Personally I'd like someone more experienced but hey, Lambert knows what he's doing!
Original post by boumavilla
Oh goodie! No Warnock!
Shame about Albrighton.

Is it looking like Cresswell for our new left-back then? Personally I'd like someone more experienced but hey, Lambert knows what he's doing!

That Creswell rumour has gone all quiet, I am wondering if Lambert will just play Lichaj there. I did hear something about us looking at Danny Rose and Kyle Naughton.
Yeah, can very much see the back four lining up as:

Lowton--Clark---Vlaar--Lichaj

Would like a left back though.
Reply 2014
You have Vlaar and Clark the wrong way round. The latter is left footed.
Original post by Aust1n
You have Vlaar and Clark the wrong way round. The latter is left footed.

Good point. Forgot about the CB positions.

Also, didn't realise El Ahmadi was so prolific :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karim_El_Ahmadi
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2016
Original post by Rock Fan
Bad news, Marc Albrighton out until October with a broken foot.

I hope that encourages us to look at Adam Johnson! He'd be an incredible signing. Unfortunately though I can't see it happening :frown:
I'd like another winger though. If N'Zogbia or Holman got injured, or say N'Zogbia isn't able to step up his game from last season or Holman doesn't work out (he has looked good so far though), then we've got no backup. Not natural wingers anyway.

City definitely don't want Johnson, it's just a question of who'll go for him. Liverpool, Spurs or Newcastle probably! Maybe even Sunderland.
Reply 2017
Original post by little_wizard123

Also, didn't realise El Ahmadi was so prolific :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karim_El_Ahmadi

108 goals in 94 games from a defensive midfield position, i've seen worse :tongue:
We drew our final pre-season game 3-3 against Werder Bremen, Bent scored two of them, Ciaran Clark got the other. It's a decent result and we were in front twice, but we still need to sort the backline out, having said that it was a completely new backline so I guess it will take a little time.
http://uefacouncil.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/aston-villa-fpl-prospects-update/#more-957

How does this look? If anything doesn't make sense in the article, let me know and I'll edit it. You're all probably more ITK than I am :wink:

Latest