The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

we always struggle against pardew's teams and since the premier league started, newcastle have gained more points against us than they have any other team. will be happy with a draw considering the circumstances, that will be imo a great start to the season. however we are well capable of beating this lot and if we want to move up the table these are the sort of teams we need to start beating, especially at home. Would like to see cole in place of westwood and sanchez alongisde him at the expense of one of the forwards, preferably gabby, he can be used as an impact sub. Bent or weimann up top for me, nzogbia to start and grealish to come on at the 60 min mark
Original post by KingGoonIan
Well I'm hoping for an open game and you're defence is gonna need to be fairly solid what with Cabella on the loose.

The Witton Arms is friendly to away supporters right? Thats where me mates are gan.

Yeah it's sound mate you'll be nice in there. There were loads of Albion fans at the derby last season pissed up singing that Black Country song and nobody said anything. Bit of bants with the police as well.
Just got in from the game. Like last week we looked solid enough, but we didn't create enough chances and didn't really look like taking any of the ones we did create. Still, you can see improvement from last season, especially at the back. I think last season that Newcastle team would have been able to break us down eventually, but they struggled today.

Aly looked great again. He's looking a real bargain at the moment. Sanchez made a couple of nice passes when he came on as well, i'm exited to see more of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Just got back took, ill take that to be honest! Clean sheet again :wink: i sit in K4 if anyones interested lol
Good solid performance from Aston Villa in my opinion. Although not enough attempts on goal. I'd put that down to a few poor decisions in the final third.

I loved how the Villa fans didn't give the ball back for the Newcastle corner, then they threw it back when they got a new ball. Oh, and when the police man kicked the ball :redface:

Vlaar is racking up the points in my fantasy team.

I'm predicting a top half finish for Villa.
Aly looked good but I'm not getting carried away because Bertrand looked good after two or three games and Luna before that.

I thought Weimann was his usual wasteful self today. We had a good move in the first half and he shoots from an impossible distance with Aly overlapping him on the outside. Poor from him today. Needs to be dropped for Grealish against Hull or even Bacuna. Hutton did a nice Messi impression in the first half and Sanchez didn't really put a foot wrong for the time he was on, that first pass he played was exquisite :cool:.

We badly need Benteke or Kozak back but two games, four points and no goals conceded is not bad, would definitely have taken that before the season started. I think we have improved slightly but there are touches of last season at times in our play. Need to start playing better and we need to beat Hull really.

Darren Bent has clearly piled on the pork btw.
I forgot about Delph, excellent again today best player on the pitch. Tackles, passing, dribbling. Needs to start adding goals and assists now and go up a level.
Original post by Manchester United
Good solid performance from Aston Villa in my opinion. Although not enough attempts on goal. I'd put that down to a few poor decisions in the final third.

I loved how the Villa fans didn't give the ball back for the Newcastle corner, then they threw it back when they got a new ball. Oh, and when the police man kicked the ball :redface:

Vlaar is racking up the points in my fantasy team.

I'm predicting a top half finish for Villa.

The policeman kicked the ball after we didn't give the ball back. It was kicked from Newcastle's section.
Thought I'd share a few pics from my day

You have a nice ground

Quite disappointed with your home crowd lots of empty seats for your first game at home of the new EPL season.

Nice gesture and yous all showed respect at 17mins all applauding.

(edited 9 years ago)
I want to see Agbonlahor and Weimann dropped asap. Coasting in this team when we have good players to come in.
We only need one of Weimann or Aggy and not both because.whilst they bring pace and endeavour they don't offer enough up front in terms of goals or creativity. We should have played Bent from the start.

Positive bit! Great defending and I'm pleased with the progress the team is showing from last season. No goals conceded and four points is terrific from two games!
Great to see our outcast players performing so well!
Against Hull I think we must win to show progress since I don't want to see us have a solid 0-0 again. Hull will be tired after having played with 10 men on Sunday and then having played a Europa League game. We have to take advantage in the early part of the season before we have our more challenging games. But saying that Villa love playing the big teams!
I want to see Bacuna and Bent start the next match, and maybe Sanchez too in place of Andi, Gabby and Richardson.

You have a nice ground

Quite disappointed with your home crowd lots of empty seats for your first game at home of the new EPL season.

Nice gesture and yous all showed respect at 17mins all applauding.

I agree with the home support, our supporters can be real fair weather fans, under our top 6 finishes we packed out the ground season after season but as soon as things get tough half our support dosent bother and it dosent look good for a club our size.

When I went to newcastle last year when remy scored in the 90th I saw the ground and it's massive in there, and you guys always manage to get 48-50k plus in every game. It is disappointing to see 28000 home fans turn up on the first day of the season, although it was an early kick off and was on TV, it's still not great

Glad you enjoyed it pal. Thought a draw was probably a fair result, neither side did enough to win the game.

Want to see Grealish get a full 90 minutes tonight, hopefully Sanchez and Jores too.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Glad you enjoyed it pal. Thought a draw was probably a fair result, neither side did enough to win the game.

Want to see Grealish get a full 90 minutes tonight, hopefully Sanchez and Jores too.

I really do think we deserved to win we seemed to have more possession and you seemed to be sitting back and playing defensive which is not what you should be doing against another mid table team at home.

Interesting you should mention Grealish as I just started a new career mode on FIFA 14 with Nottingham Forest and I have bought him for like £500k.
I really do think we deserved to win we seemed to have more possession and you seemed to be sitting back and playing defensive which is not what you should be doing against another mid table team at home.

Interesting you should mention Grealish as I just started a new career mode on FIFA 14 with Nottingham Forest and I have bought him for like £500k.

Possession doesnt dictate the result, we've seen possession statistics like that for the best part of a decade at villa now.
In the same respect, with the quality newcastle have had over the past few years you shouldnt be and shouldnt call yourselves a midtable club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nvmthename
Possession doesnt dictate the result, we've seen possession statistics like that for the best part of a decade at villa now.
In the same respect, with the quality newcastle have had over the past few years you shouldnt be and shouldnt call yourselves a midtable club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it doesn't but it was clear that we were the ones pressing you and that you were sitting back and occasionally breaking. I think we are equal to you tbh in terms of table ambitions.
Pathetic.

Just pathetic.
What the hell just happened?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Pathetic.

Just pathetic.

At least you only lost 1-0.
loooooool what kind of ****ty premier league team loses to a league one team

Latest