The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Yeh dire stuff. The back 5 didn't really do anything wrong, and Gabby tried, but other than that it was just shocking. It's pretty sad when you consider how poorly we've played since Heskey got injured. And it's very depressing that McLeish didn't even want to attempt changing the system in the 2nd half. They need to find someone in the squad who can link the defence and the attacking midfielders better, a proper DMC, not a Petrov or Delph. Clark is the best bet for me as he's a big lad so should be able to put himself about abit. Very glad I decided not to pick up a ticket for QPR, they'll be smashed if they play like that against them

Positives are that the Upper North is a great view, better than the front of the Upper Holte. Loads of leg room!
Reply 781
Original post by hogso

Original post by hogso
The back 5 didn't really do anything wrong

They seemed really sluggish to me. One of Bolton's strikers would receive the ball and turn, and our back line would still be a yard away still seeming to wait for the pass, and that seemed to happen continuously. Considering it was our starting defence, I thought they were really quite disappointing. Didn't inspire much confidence at all, especially considering that we are supposed to now be a team that is "built from the back".
Reply 782
Original post by Phalanges
One of Bolton's strikers would receive the ball and turn, and our back line would still be a yard away still seeming to wait for the pass, and that seemed to happen continuously

Well that's just a lack of pressure on the ball, which has happened in every match since the Everton game, and not just from the defence but from practically everyone on the pitch. Funnily enough we've only really seen any pressure on the goalkeeper from the man up top in recent games. It's almost as if the whole team has been instructed to just wait for the ball to come to them, to stick ridgidly in position when we don't have the ball, and wait until possesion is ours to do anything. Which could arguably work, if we weren't so woeful at keeping possesion. The amount of times we gave the ball away, they gave it away, and we gave it back to them yesterday was incredible. So frustrating.

And then theres throw-ins...****ing christ. We might as well just throw the ball straight to the opposition whenever we have one, we're just completely inept at them.
Agree 100% with hogso. I noticed that in the first half against Newcastle that Delph was the only player interested in receiving the ball from throw-ins. But he likes to give the ball away. In the second half, nobody looked interested and we did just give the ball away from throw-ins. We shouldn't be dominated in possession by teams like Newcastle. I agree that as we're so poor at keeping the ball, we do need to give other teams less space. It really is very frustrating to watch.
Reply 784
Original post by hogso

Original post by hogso
Well that's just a lack of pressure on the ball, which has happened in every match since the Everton game, and not just from the defence but from practically everyone on the pitch. Funnily enough we've only really seen any pressure on the goalkeeper from the man up top in recent games. It's almost as if the whole team has been instructed to just wait for the ball to come to them, to stick ridgidly in position when we don't have the ball, and wait until possesion is ours to do anything. Which could arguably work, if we weren't so woeful at keeping possesion. The amount of times we gave the ball away, they gave it away, and we gave it back to them yesterday was incredible. So frustrating.

And then theres throw-ins...****ing christ. We might as well just throw the ball straight to the opposition whenever we have one, we're just completely inept at them.

Yeah, our passing was absolutely atrocious last night.
Reply 785
Weimann has been recalled from Watford, reading between the lines it could mean that Bent is going to be out for awhile longer than expected, so he's being brought in for backup for Gabby and Fonz - especially considering that they've been playing more as wingers. Or it could mean McLeish is going to try something a bit different, start the game with 2 men properly up top. We'll see
Reply 786
Love Weimann, stick him up front against QPR with Gabby.

I'm expecting a hammering anyway tbh
Reply 788
I've got a spare ticket for Saturday if anybody wants it? £15
Reply 789
Original post by Aust1n
I've got a spare ticket for Saturday if anybody wants it? £15

£15?! ****ing hell, you'll do well to get that for a ticket, is it that for a box??

They're practically giving tickets away for this one, £5 for people in the B6, and £5 for anyone who ST holders want to take along.

U19s won 4-0 in the NextGen tonight, Gardner ran the show apparently. Knew I shouldve made more of an effort to go. Will def be at the next one
Reply 790
Original post by hogso
£15?! ****ing hell, you'll do well to get that for a ticket, is it that for a box??

They're practically giving tickets away for this one, £5 for people in the B6, and £5 for anyone who ST holders want to take along.

U19s won 4-0 in the NextGen tonight, Gardner ran the show apparently. Knew I shouldve made more of an effort to go. Will def be at the next one

It's in the 2 4 30 deal. I bought two lots and two people bailed on me. Sold them now though. Are they really that cheap?
Reply 791
Original post by Aust1n
It's in the 2 4 30 deal. I bought two lots and two people bailed on me. Sold them now though. Are they really that cheap?

Yeh, not sure if it's limited to the North and Trinity/Holte Upper wings though. Where are yours with the 2 for 30 offer?
Reply 792
Trinity C Block.

I was hoping for the Holte wings, they had some good ones there. Not doing this for the WBA match.
I thought we were better against QPR although that's not hard after the Bolton game. I just hope we can build on it with three points today, looks like Benty is back.
Reply 794

Quality from them two and Bent; Delph needs to be dropped for a bit - he's potentially a very good player, but has underperformed for the last 3 or so games and his inexperience is showing, we can't be relying on him as much as we have been; Ireland hasn't been brilliant either, but we struggle for numbers if we drop both of them - stick Heskey in the midfield enforcer role until Delph/Gardner/Herd/Clark/Jenas steps up:yeah:; not convinced Hutton is any better than Herd either

Don't want to read too much into a game against a poor Wigan side, but we seem to be improving and McLeish seems to be responding to our recent performances.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 795
Gabby was sooooo ****ign good yesterday. Love it when he plays like that, hope we see plenty more of it this season. What I didn't really like was just 'switching off' the attack for the last 15 mins, shouldve gone for the kill, man. Very good goalkeeping from Al-Habsi to keep out Bent, Bannan, and Petrov though. Couldve been 4-0 with some ease

Original post by Aust1n
Trinity C Block.

HAY that is where I sit :h: Where abouts were you?
Reply 796
We were right at the front next to the two stewards.

You're right about the switching off. I would have left both strikers on, they were playing brilliantly yesterday.
Reply 797
Original post by Aust1n
We were right at the front next to the two stewards

Which 2 stewards there are loads, silly! C8? Right in the corner next to the tunnel? I sit in C7 on the side of the tunnel, closer to the middle of the pitch, 3rd row.
Reply 798
:colondollar:Ah, we were in C2. The corner next to the Holte.
We face our sternest test yet this Saturday against Man City.

Latest