The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by hogso
Carruthers looked decent against plop too. Another game where the ref had a shocking game for both teams. It was never a dive. Really thought we'd hold out when it got to the 70th still 1 up, but it wasnt to be. Good result though, and a good day out. The announcer telling all Villa to sit down during the game :colondollar: Hilarious stuff. Where's your famous atmosphere...

The ref was bloody awful. He booked Suarez and Carruthers for diving in that game and in both instances it clearly wasn't.
Original post by hogso
Must play Carlos over Hutton in this lineup. God he is dreadful. I'd be tempted to shift Warnock back into LB, have Lichaj or Baker RB, and play Collins and Cuellar CB. Zog and Bannan LM/RM, at least until Alby is back. Bannan doesnt do quite enough in the middle of the park for me, would much rather see Ireland/Herd/Gardner

Ref had a nightmare last night, Stoke's disallowed goal was very dubious aswell. Beautiful strike from Weimann though. Hope the lad keeps it up till the end of the season, he's certianly providing more for the team than Gabby. Heskey's provided more than Gabby in the last 2 matches in fact. Gabby hasn't been playing well up top and he hasn't been playing well on the wing. If you were to ask me were we should play him instead then...well, yeh, I'd agree with the above and say drop him.

Carruthers looked decent against plop too. Another game where the ref had a shocking game for both teams. It was never a dive. Really thought we'd hold out when it got to the 70th still 1 up, but it wasnt to be. Good result though, and a good day out. The announcer telling all Villa to sit down during the game :colondollar: Hilarious stuff. Where's your famous atmosphere...

I think Hutton and Warnock are coming into some kind of form. Granted, they're not delivering as much quality as players such as Baines from full back, but they're not making so many stupid mistakes all of the time. Hutton has been getting a few assists lately and Warnock may actually be better suited to the Midfield where there is less pressure on him.

Do you think Bannan is a wide player? I'm struggling to figure out what his best role is (ie, Winger, box to box centre mid, play making centre mid, attacking mid).

Ireland and Weimann linked up really well yesterday so I'd definitely stick them both up top (Ireland behind) and perhaps have Herd & Gardner in the centre of midfield.

Yeah the ref was appalling. There have been some real shocking decisions across the country this bank holiday weekend.

I don't know if Gabby is right for Villa anymore, he either needs to up his wing play or score goals and he does neither. As much as I love him, I'm struggling to convince myself he's good enough. Obviously, on his day he's a very good player, but it hasn't been his day for about 17 matches.

Heskey has been playing alright but I really hope he leaves at the end of the season. Well past his sell by date.

Carruthers looks another excellent academy grad, can't wait to see more of him. I also want to see Daniel Johnson play, he look likes he could be a good player.

Typical Liverpool. They deserved a goal in all fairness. Loved seeing Bannan straight up accuse Suarez of diving though.
Reply 1382
Original post by jackf1337
Typical Liverpool. They deserved a goal in all fairness. Loved seeing Bannan straight up accuse Suarez of diving though.

When was that? When Suarez was booked for diving when he clearly didn't or the blatant pen?
Reply 1383
The first time, you know, when he dived...

:facepalm2:
Original post by Deshi
When was that? When Suarez was booked for diving when he clearly didn't or the blatant pen?

The time he got booked for blatantly diving
Reply 1385
Is this a joke, the replays clearly showed contact :confused:

Clearly gets stepped on, Bannan complaining just made him look stupid.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

EA might be crap, but I like these real-life tournies they do with teams
Reply 1387
I think Hutton and Warnock are coming into some kind of form. Granted, they're not delivering as much quality as players such as Baines from full back, but they're not making so many stupid mistakes all of the time. Hutton has been getting a few assists lately and Warnock may actually be better suited to the Midfield where there is less pressure on him.

Do you think Bannan is a wide player? I'm struggling to figure out what his best role is (ie, Winger, box to box centre mid, play making centre mid, attacking mid).

I thought Warnock looked a bit lost on the wing. I think he has a decent enough run and cross on him to get balls into the box when he's playing LB, but playing in midfield...he just didnt seem comfortable to me. As for Hutton, yeh he had been playing better, but he was woeful against Stoke again.

I know Bannan played effecviely on the wing when he was at Blackpool, but I don't like seeing him on the wing for us, no. Far better suited in CM, but even then he plays too many hollywood balls that go out of touch/to no one inparticular for my liking. I think that is something that he will improve in his game as time goes by and he gets more experience, as he does it get right occasionally. It's his tenacity I like. And also when he goes up for a header :colondollar:

Reserves pretty much ensured the southern league title yesterday after beating Sunderland. Which is nice.
Saw this. What the **** are Sunderland doing in the South league :colonhash:
Reply 1389
Original post by Colbert

I believe the leagues are similar to NFL leagues i.e. you are in a group based on geography, but you play people from both groups. So while we did play Sunderland, they are in a different group to us.
Original post by Colbert

Random. The entire point of splitting it in two is to reduce travelling isn't it? Just seen phalanges post, forgot about that.

Blues sacked off their reserve team a couple of years back and just play behind closed doors friendlies instead.
Reply 1391
Original post by original_username
Random. The entire point of splitting it in two is to reduce travelling isn't it? Just seen phalanges post, forgot about that.

Blues sacked off their reserve team a couple of years back and just play behind closed doors friendlies instead.

Yeah we wouldn't bother if we had a two bob youth system either. :cool:
Reply 1392
Yeah, then the North champions play the South champions for the uh...ultimate mega reserve champions of the world title or something. North champs are Man Utd I think, who panned us a few weeks ago in the league fixture
QPR and Wigan win. Leave us alone.
Reply 1394
Original post by Deshi
The ref was bloody awful. He booked Suarez and Carruthers for diving in that game and in both instances it clearly wasn't.

Let me guess.

You are not from Liverpool.
Reply 1395
Original post by Colbert

They're not.

We play teams in the North league once and teams in the South league twice.
Original post by Aust1n
Yeah we wouldn't bother if we had a two bob youth system either. :cool:

Understandable when you consider Villa have been in the premier league since formation getting all that money, at a time that blues were struggling to stay in existence and had to scrap the youth system.

We're catching up though and for the first time actually have some good prospects coming through- Mutch, Redmond, Butland.
Curse QPR and Wigan winning. We're far from out of this relegation scrap.

I think we'll be on the end of a hiding from Man Utd after them losing. I can see it being a cricket score.
On the flip side, we do tend to show up against the big sides, some resilience was shown vs Stoke (not saying they're a big team but they're awkward to play against) and we may be able to grind something out. I wouldn't count on it though. Hoping Clark or Cuellar will be fit to play instead of Baker, who looks a great prospect, I just fear for him playing at Old Trafford after he slipped up a could of times vs Chelsea.

Original post by original_username
Understandable when you consider Villa have been in the premier league since formation getting all that money, at a time that blues were struggling to stay in existence and had to scrap the youth system.

We're catching up though and for the first time actually have some good prospects coming through- Mutch, Redmond, Butland.

Redmond is a Villa fan. I hope we sign him :colondollar:
Original post by little_wizard123
QPR and Wigan win. Leave us alone.

That Bolton game at Villa is HUGE.

Sadly, you're due a win which should see you over the line.

Redmond is a Villa fan. I hope we sign him :colondollar:

His moms a villa fan, not him. He has been playing for blues since the age of 8, must have been too good for your youth system.

Jesus wept, I acknowledged above that your youth system was better, tongue was firmly in cheek. That being said they haven't taught Agbonlahor how to find the net that well.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest