The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanWoolley
I totally agree with that statement! He's a shocking defender! if we give something away our end you can normally place good money on the fact it was warnock's fault!
Past few seasons it's been obvious about the need for new defenders, though every manager has done nothing about it so hopefully lambert will. I think or offensive midfield needs strengthening as we have lost quite a few of good forwards and wingers. Bannan and Albrighton need to be played more this season to have any hope of them staying and becoming top performers at the club.

Warnock :facepalm2: remember this?
[video="youtube;g9VD-BMDt-Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9VD-BMDt-Q[/video]
We just need to sell the likes of N'Zogbia and Ireland who are carrying big wages in respect to their abilities. And replace them with better players who are more eager...a la Albrighton and Bannan.

Original post by Cll_ws
The way Lambert is dealing with the transfer window is so refreshing, no more waiting until the final day of the window in anticipation before signing a load of rubbish like Hutton and Jenas.

I also like that he's obviously looking at the positions we're weak in and signing players to fix that. For some reason our other recent managers didn't seem to take that approach!

Agree with that. Remember O'Neill would sign a player to play in another position that he was also OK in. Such as Cuellar who is a centre-back but ended up playing him at right-back. He also signed Luke Young not to play at right-back but at left-back!
Oh we need a centre-midfielder? Sign Reo-Coker! End up playing him on the right-wing and at right-back... :sigh:
Reply 1881
Original post by boumavilla

Agree with that. Remember O'Neill would sign a player to play in another position that he was also OK in. Such as Cuellar who is a centre-back but ended up playing him at right-back. He also signed Luke Young not to play at right-back but at left-back!
Oh we need a centre-midfielder? Sign Reo-Coker! End up playing him on the right-wing and at right-back... :sigh:

Yeah, it got so irritating! Especially when O'Neill was in charge as there wasn't really any need for him to be playing people out of position.
I have to say though, Mcleish took it to the next level when he started playing Heskey as a winger! :lol:

There's been a lot of talk about us getting Guzan back, i'd be really happy with that, I never wanted him to leave in the first place.
At least one centre-back, preferably two, and a left-back are needed, and I wouldn't mind an attacking midfielder/forward. Yacine Brahimi from Rennes who we were recently linked with looks really decent. Apparently he's hinted at a move to Villa and some places are saying that his agent has already been over here.
Original post by Cll_ws
Yeah, it got so irritating! Especially when O'Neill was in charge as there wasn't really any need for him to be playing people out of position.
I have to say though, Mcleish took it to the next level when he started playing Heskey as a winger! :lol:

There's been a lot of talk about us getting Guzan back, i'd be really happy with that, I never wanted him to leave in the first place.
At least one centre-back, preferably two, and a left-back are needed, and I wouldn't mind an attacking midfielder/forward. Yacine Brahimi from Rennes who we were recently linked with looks really decent. Apparently he's hinted at a move to Villa and some places are saying that his agent has already been over here.

I like to joke about Heskey saying he's a legend...but seriously! A winger...

What I don't get about Guzan was that he left in order to play first-team football, so why does he want to come back? He knows he has almost no chance at Villa, especially with Siegrist breathing down Given's neck waiting for him to retire.

We don't need another centre-back unless we loose Collins or Dunne because we have Clark and Baker for 3 and 4. We could do with another left-back big-time though.

Lambert said he was only going to sign 1 or 2 though which might rule out a clear-out of all our players... :colondollar: Plus he's signed El Ahmadi and Lowton now adding to Holman. It might be it for us this summer.
Reply 1883

We don't need another centre-back unless we loose Collins or Dunne because we have Clark and Baker for 3 and 4. We could do with another left-back big-time though.

Lambert said he was only going to sign 1 or 2 though which might rule out a clear-out of all our players... :colondollar: Plus he's signed El Ahmadi and Lowton now adding to Holman. It might be it for us this summer.

I can honestly see more yet! Collins and Dunne have been awful for a couple of seasons now, that on top of the time they kicked off and caused a bit of unrest during Houllier's time here, i've lost most of my faith in them. I just think we need at least one more centre-back capable of going straight into the starting line-up, if neither Collins or Dunne leave, then at least somebody to just challenge them for a starting spot.
If it was me i'd probably be playing Clark alongside a newly signed centre-back!

If Lambert is picking out our weak spots and working from there, then after the full-back positions would surely come the centre-backs. Although I guess we do have El Ahmadi to sit in front of the defence now which will strengthen things up a bit.

It's funny how one of the first things Lambert did was buy a right-back. If you remember when we played Norwich at the end of last season he clearly focussed his attack down that right hand side. He obviously saw Hutton as a weak link!

And if Guzan comes back then i'd imagine he's maybe been promised a bit more football? He played well whilst Given was out last season and I thought it was a little harsh that he was taken straight out of the team once Given was fit again. There was also that time that O'Neill left him out of the Carling Cup final and played Friedel, despite Guzan playing every game in the competition previous to that! And even winning us a penalty shootout in the quarter-finals. I felt sorry for him them as well!
Given didn't have a good Euros, so maybe Guzan would stand a chance.
Reply 1884
What does everybody think about us putting a bid in for Snodgrass? He's better than Albrighton IMO.
Not good enough for the PL is my immediate reaction.
Original post by Colbert
Third signing of the summer.

23 year old right back from League One's Sheffield United :adore:

Immediately goes into the squad as first choice full back by default as Hutton and Warnock are complete gash, but I think we still need a player in every position across the backline tbf.

He's gonna do well for ya if he's given the chance. Hopefully, he will follow in Jagielka's/Walker's foot steps! :smile:

Good luck to him! Was always going to leave. So glad he has managed a move to a Premiership club rather than a Championship club!
Original post by Aust1n
What does everybody think about us putting a bid in for Snodgrass? He's better than Albrighton IMO.

It's strikes me that nobody has come in for him, I thought someone like Wigan, Swansea, Norwich would come in for him.
Reply 1888
Personally I think he's better than all of those clubs.
Original post by Cll_ws
I can honestly see more yet! Collins and Dunne have been awful for a couple of seasons now, that on top of the time they kicked off and caused a bit of unrest during Houllier's time here, i've lost most of my faith in them. I just think we need at least one more centre-back capable of going straight into the starting line-up, if neither Collins or Dunne leave, then at least somebody to just challenge them for a starting spot.
If it was me i'd probably be playing Clark alongside a newly signed centre-back!

If Lambert is picking out our weak spots and working from there, then after the full-back positions would surely come the centre-backs. Although I guess we do have El Ahmadi to sit in front of the defence now which will strengthen things up a bit.

It's funny how one of the first things Lambert did was buy a right-back. If you remember when we played Norwich at the end of last season he clearly focussed his attack down that right hand side. He obviously saw Hutton as a weak link!

And if Guzan comes back then i'd imagine he's maybe been promised a bit more football? He played well whilst Given was out last season and I thought it was a little harsh that he was taken straight out of the team once Given was fit again. There was also that time that O'Neill left him out of the Carling Cup final and played Friedel, despite Guzan playing every game in the competition previous to that! And even winning us a penalty shootout in the quarter-finals. I felt sorry for him them as well!
Given didn't have a good Euros, so maybe Guzan would stand a chance.

Heard Lambert is still after a few more players yet. Also heard that Makoun will be given a chance and Hutton is gonna leave! Everything is looking good!
Reply 1890
Heard Lambert is still after a few more players yet. Also heard that Makoun will be given a chance and Hutton is gonna leave! Everything is looking good!

Couldn't ask for anymore! It's all good!
Reply 1891
Warnock :facepalm2: remember this?
[video="youtube;g9VD-BMDt-Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9VD-BMDt-Q[/video]

Warnock is terrible.

He nearly scored an own goal like this in one of the previous games as well.
Original post by TRS-T
Warnock is terrible.

He nearly scored an own goal like this in one of the previous games as well.

You mean the one against Everton, only for Given to save it... :facepalm2:
Reply 1893
Why Heskey is better than Messi :tongue:

messi.sinceheskeyscored.com
Villa: Marshall, Hutton, Clark, Lowton, Stephens, Carruthers, Johnson, El Ahmadi, N’Zogbia, Weimann, Bent [c]

First friendly line up. Lets's go!
Heard the Villa are playing well so far!
1-1 atm.
Heard the Villa are playing well so far!
1-1 atm.

Double on West Ham and Villa after seeing the teams almost backfired! Do you think Holman is good enough to start the season? On the right perhaps with N'Zogbia on the left?
Original post by little_wizard123
Double on West Ham and Villa after seeing the teams almost backfired! Do you think Holman is good enough to start the season? On the right perhaps with N'Zogbia on the left?

Problem with Holman is that he's used to playing on the wing in a 4-3-3 formation, but Lambert plays a 4-4-2. I would think he'd play there, yes. Maybe he'll play behind the striker on more defensive days.
N'Zogbia cost a lot of money so more than likely he'll be playing. Should be the left.

Holman scored the winner today as we won 2-1, so yeah, I think he's good enough to start! :wink:

Holman scored the winner today as we won 2-1, so yeah, I think he's good enough to start! :wink:

If we can beat Burton away in the last 5 minutes, we can beat anybody.
Anyone see the game? Heard good stuff about El Ahmadi...

Latest