The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Tnacilppa
Hi,

I was wondering which university was the best for English Literature. I can't decide between Warwick, York and Durham.

I have scoured their prospectuses but still can't make up my mind!

Please let my know your opinion on the subject (either current students or prospective undergraduates.)

Thanks,

Adam

i'd go for york i think, warwick doesnt really have rep for non-business related subjects and as for durham...hehe its better if i don't comment
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
i'd go for warwick, it looks like a really nice campus (much better than yorks) :smile:
Reply 3
Don't you have to study a foreign language with york's degree? That's something to consider.
Durham's course contains wuite a lot of old literature.
The courses are quite different - you should have a proper look through them.
Reply 4
VoodooDoll
i'd go for warwick, it looks like a really nice campus (much better than yorks) :smile:
have you been to both?

i'm surprised anyone would say that, I found York to be much more pleasant.
Reply 5
How on earth does Warwick have a nicer campus than York's? Warwick resembled a gigantic chemical engineering plant :P
Reply 6
i've got the same choice of unis only for history instead of english. i got the feeling there isnt as much going on at york when i visited - not too many sports facilities etc?

i thought warwick had a really nice campus (although it was covered in snow) when i went there last week, not like a chemical plant at all! there's a better range of stuff going on, and although it might be a bit different living 40mins away in coventry or leamington for the next 2 years apparently they're both ok places to live.

haven't been to durham yet so can't comment on it, but it seems like a fun place to spend 3 years...

(please correct me if i'm wrong, these are only the limited ideas i got from short open day visits!)
Reply 7
Tnacilppa
Hi,

I was wondering which university was the best for English Literature. I can't decide between Warwick, York and Durham.

I have scoured their prospectuses but still can't make up my mind!

Please let my know your opinion on the subject (either current students or prospective undergraduates.)

Thanks,

Adam

I was going to apply for english lit, and I would have done so at Durham, the course is great, and it's a great uni, but if I were you I would look at what texts you study and decide which interest you most, because that will really determine whether or not you will enjoy your degree. Good luck!
Reply 8
walks
i've got the same choice of unis only for history instead of english. i got the feeling there isnt as much going on at york when i visited - not too many sports facilities etc?

i thought warwick had a really nice campus (although it was covered in snow) when i went there last week, not like a chemical plant at all! there's a better range of stuff going on, and although it might be a bit different living 40mins away in coventry or leamington for the next 2 years apparently they're both ok places to live.

haven't been to durham yet so can't comment on it, but it seems like a fun place to spend 3 years...

(please correct me if i'm wrong, these are only the limited ideas i got from short open day visits!)

Leamington's 12 miles away, takes up to an hour on the bus in the morning, otherwise about half an hour normally. Earlsdon, where most students live in Coventry is about 20 minutes away in the morning. I'm living there next year because didn't fancy the long bus journey, although most people live in Leamington. I don't think the campus looks like a chemical plant either!

Found Durham really quiet and quaint, not what I really wanted from a university. Of course, it could be just what you're looking for, but it wasn't for me.

York I didn't like the course there, but the university was lovely.
Reply 9
picju96
Leamington's 12 miles away, takes up to an hour on the bus in the morning, otherwise about half an hour normally. Earlsdon, where most students live in Coventry is about 20 minutes away in the morning. I'm living there next year because didn't fancy the long bus journey, although most people live in Leamington. I don't think the campus looks like a chemical plant either!

Found Durham really quiet and quaint, not what I really wanted from a university. Of course, it could be just what you're looking for, but it wasn't for me.

York I didn't like the course there, but the university was lovely.

Does Warwick uni have a student gym? And if they do then how much is it do you know?
Reply 10
*Riz*
Does Warwick uni have a student gym? And if they do then how much is it do you know?

Yup, £80 for the year or £1.50 each time. It's all new and very nice.
Reply 11
I applied to all three of these for English last year, and I'm now at York. The course at York is awesome (I'm doing Victorian literature this term :smile: You do have to do a module in a foreign language - you can do French, German, Italian, Anglo Saxon, Norse and Latin and I'm sure i've missed out some more you can do too. There are sports facilities (I'm in the rowing club and I train 6 days a week just as an example, there's a sports centre, weights room, loads of pitches, a boathouse on the River Ouse...loads of stuff). The campus looks pretty cool overall, dominated by the huge lake in the middle. You will have no regrets if you choose York out of those three, I love it here. Any other questions about English or York, feel free to ask me.
Reply 12
ro234
I applied to all three of these for English last year, and I'm now at York. The course at York is awesome (I'm doing Victorian literature this term :smile: You do have to do a module in a foreign language - you can do French, German, Italian, Anglo Saxon, Norse and Latin and I'm sure i've missed out some more you can do too. There are sports facilities (I'm in the rowing club and I train 6 days a week just as an example, there's a sports centre, weights room, loads of pitches, a boathouse on the River Ouse...loads of stuff). The campus looks pretty cool overall, dominated by the huge lake in the middle. You will have no regrets if you choose York out of those three, I love it here. Any other questions about English or York, feel free to ask me.

I have an offerfrom York and was wondering how the nightlife is. A bit stupid and cliche, I know ;-) BUt academically I don´t see a flaw, but the city seems to be pretty boring.
Reply 13
The city is NOT boring. There are reputedly 365 pubs (maybe a myth, but there are a lot), particularly in Micklegate, which is basically a road with nothing but pubs and clubs on it. There are four clubs as well, which are all pretty cool apparently. I don't drink so I can't really tell you about it that much but I don't know anybody who doesn't enjoy themselves here, everyone seems to have an awesome time. If you come to York, it will undoubtedly be fun.

Latest