The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
I think either's acceptable. It wouldn't be important, anyway. Content is worth far more than strict etiquette like that.

I dunno. In my country you'll get laughed at if you say you wanna study law..

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think either's acceptable. It wouldn't be important, anyway. Content is worth far more than strict etiquette like that.

Any chance you could clear a bit of space in your inbox so that I can PM you? :smile:
Original post by Kidioteque
Any chance you could clear a bit of space in your inbox so that I can PM you? :smile:

Yep, done :smile:
Yep, done :smile:

Thanks a lot - sent. :smile:
Reply 3804
Original post by Elle408
I passed my Access course with 54 Distinctions (out of 54) and am predicted an A* on my English GCSE resit. However my LNAT was awful and I only got 19 (it was a bad day). What do you reckon?

Congratulations :biggrin: You got 3 more credits at Distinction than me :P

Have you spoken to Durham?

Hi guys, 2013 applicant here so I hope you don't mind me intruding to ask a quick question! I have been stalking the thread for months aha.

I'm beginning my personal statement at the moment, and what I've got so far seems alright, but it's just lacking the "killer blow" at the moment; I feel like what I'm writing is very "middle of the road" and the kind of thing that all other applicants will be saying too.

Do you guys have any tips you could pass on regarding what makes a good law personal statement? Dos and Don'ts?

Cheers in advance, would really appreciate some advice! :smile:

My biggest regret about my PS was that I don't think I engaged with the law at a high enough level; I showed interest by analysing and evaluating a couple of areas, but what I said wasn't particularly insightful, and I got rejections from LSE/UCL as a result (not that it made any difference in the end).

If I could turn back the clock to give myself one piece of advice, it would be to read a more in depth introduction to law, something like Brownsword's "Understanding Law", and to engage with something from that. The more comprehensive an introduction you've had to studying law, the better you'll be able to articulate your reasons for wanting to pursue it.

Also, I didn't read the personal statement posted above, but including a quote is unwise. Using other people's words does nothing to sell you, and is a waste of valuable characters.
Original post by admbeatmaker
They probably all cringed when you opened up with a quote. One of the biggest personal statement clichés of all.

I agree completely. If I were to change my personal statement, it would be that quote. It just seemed brilliant at the time, nearly a year ago now.
Original post by popsoda
What grades did you get? AS/ A2 predictions and gcses?
and well done on your scholarship!

I got 5A*'s 5A's B
AS: AAAB (+Welsh Bacc) (Economics, geography, history, maths respectively)
A2 predictions: AAAA

Hope this helped, not far from becoming a university applicant!
Original post by Justme!
I'm not being nosy but what was your LNAT score and AL subjects - grades?
You had a wonderful personal statement, weird you did not get accepted.

My LNAT was terrible, I got 12/42 I believe. Therefore there is a lesson to be learnt, revise as hard for your LNAT as you do for your A Levels etc. Would be the difference between an offer and a rejection. Although my essay was considered 'good' but Oxford's standards.

Make sure you practice the essays in time condition and from my experience, make a convincing argument. Sometimes its not about what you say, but how you say it.

Best of luck!
Reply 3808
Original post by silence18
From my point of view it's safer to do another degree at a respected uni for a course which has lower entry requirements and then do the GDL, in case you decide you really want to be a lawyer.

Sorry I'm a bit confused, are you saying that if our grades are not good enough for a russel/respected university then we should consider doing another course at said university?

Reply 3809
Original post by gtfo
Congratulations :biggrin: You got 3 more credits at Distinction than me :P

Have you spoken to Durham?

I couldn't call them yesterday, so sent an email to which they haven't replied, think I should call them anyway? Don't want to sound pushy! lol

You got into Kings! What was your LNAT like? So disappointed in mine, in hindsight I shouldn't have re-read it once I was finished and started second guessing my original answers. Live and learn! Edit: Just saw your LNAT in your blog...30? Well done sir!

As for the personal statement and even my uni choices actually... if I was applying through UCAS now, after a year back in education (as opposed to within the first three weeks at college), I would have done so many things differently! I can't bear to read my PS now, it just makes me cringe. As does thinking about my Cambridge interview experience.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3810
Original post by Elle408
I couldn't call them yesterday, so sent an email to which they haven't replied, think I should call them anyway? Don't want to sound pushy! lol

You got into Kings! What was your LNAT like? So disappointed in mine, in hindsight I shouldn't have re-read it once I was finished and started second guessing my original answers. Live and learn! Edit: Just saw your LNAT in your blog...30? Well done sir!

As for the personal statement and even my uni choices actually... if I was applying through UCAS now, after a year back in education (as opposed to within the first three weeks at college), I would have done so many things differently! I can't bear to read my PS now, it just makes me cringe. As does thinking about my Cambridge interview experience.

In my experience of dealing with university admissions departments, a phone call gets an answer within a day or two, but an email takes weeks (if you ever get a response).

If Durham have spaces left on their LLB, they'll fall over themselves for a candidate of your calibre. They just wont trawl through the thousands of unread emails in their inbox to find you :wink:

Fwiw, I prepared for the lnat as if my life depended on it :smile:
Reply 3811
Original post by silence18
From my point of view it's safer to do another degree at a respected uni for a course which has lower entry requirements and then do the GDL, in case you decide you really want to be a lawyer.

With respect, I would very strongly disagree. The GDL is for high-powered graduates to get a gloss of law before they go into a sponsored traineeship - as I understand. Perhaps it might be a good idea to wait until 21, do some different law jobs, see if one still wants to do it, and apply later as a mature student, perhaps having taken a diploma or two such as the Birkbeck Legal Method course?

If someone really wants to be a lawyer, then surely it's better to get the deeper understanding an LLB can give, than the great cram which a GDL consists of? And I think the thought someone should do a degree they're not in love with, absolutely appalling: life is short - if you do a degree which you don't like, that's a recipe for depression. The price of doing a second degree makes it even more important to choose the first properly for what it is, not what it *might* lead to.

I might be completely wrong about some of this - take with pinch of salt - but I do think I'm right about the GDL being less in-depth than an LLB, and 3 years of life needing to be spent doing something you really like.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by allstar
Sorry I'm a bit confused, are you saying that if our grades are not good enough for a russel/respected university then we should consider doing another course at said university?

Original post by Finbarr
With respect, I would very strongly disagree. The GDL is for high-powered graduates to get a gloss of law before they go into a sponsored traineeship - as I understand. Perhaps it might be a good idea to wait until 21, do some different law jobs, see if one still wants to do it, and apply later as a mature student, perhaps having taken a diploma or two such as the Birkbeck Legal Method course?

If someone really wants to be a lawyer, then surely it's better to get the deeper understanding an LLB can give, than the great cram which a GDL consists of? And I think the thought someone should do a degree they're not in love with, absolutely appalling: life is short - if you do a degree which you don't like, that's a recipe for depression. The price of doing a second degree makes it even more important to choose the first properly for what it is, not what it *might* lead to.

I might be completely wrong about some of this - take with pinch of salt - but I do think I'm right about the GDL being less in-depth than an LLB, and 3 years of life needing to be spent doing something you really like.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain my point of view from the beginning. There are around 25 universities that ask for AAA or higher at A levels. From these universities, some of them also give AAB offers but I think they also give that offers to those who are predicted AAA. I might be wrong, though. With AAB one could, theoretically apply to some good unis such as Kent, East Anglia or City but unis such as Southampton, Bristol or Edinburgh give AAB/BBB offers for History which is a traditional, respected degree. Moreover, LSE asks for AAB for Social Anthropology/ Anthropology and Law.
I think that every student's dream is to study at a prestigious institution. Some would like to do so because their peers are going to do it and want to be at the same level with them, for some maybe it is important to know that they have that prestigous name on their CVs, but the main reason one should want to study at an excellent institution is for the actual purpose of going to uni: to study a subject in depth. For that 9000 pounds or less one should expect to have the best academics, the best learning resources, the best amenities, the best career prospects, the best access to extracurricular activities, etc.
If one is decided that he is really passionate about law, maybe there's no point in deciding to apply for something else just because of that. But unfortunately, many of those who apply are attracted by the legal profession(and the starting salaries& again prestige) much more than the study of law. I can see that we agree on the purpose of studying for a degree, Finbarr, you said that one should not study another subject for what it might lead to, what I'm trying to explain is that one should not read law just because what it might lead to!
There are many who would like to study other subjects, but are forced by their parents or by others in going into law because you can do little with a degree in anthropolgy, for example.
From what I've heard the GDL is incredibly hard but it covers all the 7 modules, so there is nothing essential that one could miss, just a lot of work to be done!
Original post by gtfo
In my experience of dealing with university admissions departments, a phone call gets an answer within a day or two, but an email takes weeks (if you ever get a response).

You've probably never seen a University inbox. It is a nightmarish hellscape.
Original post by gtfo
My biggest regret about my PS was that I don't think I engaged with the law at a high enough level; I showed interest by analysing and evaluating a couple of areas, but what I said wasn't particularly insightful, and I got rejections from LSE/UCL as a result (not that it made any difference in the end).

If I could turn back the clock to give myself one piece of advice, it would be to read a more in depth introduction to law, something like Brownsword's "Understanding Law", and to engage with something from that. The more comprehensive an introduction you've had to studying law, the better you'll be able to articulate your reasons for wanting to pursue it.

Also, I didn't read the personal statement posted above, but including a quote is unwise. Using other people's words does nothing to sell you, and is a waste of valuable characters.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I understand what you mean about regretting not engaging with a higher level of law, but I'm struggling to gauge what constitutes that. On my draft, I've given a paragraph to talking about the Hart-Devlin debate, and why I disagree with a number of the views put forward in the latter's "The Enforcement of Morals"; however I've only chosen to write about that because it's a topic which I find interesting and links with my EPQ. I'd presume that that's not exactly insightful enough, but what kind of thing would be?

I've ordered Brownsword's "Understanding Law" - cheers for the recommendation! :smile:
Reply 3815
Original post by gtfo

If Durham have spaces left on their LLB, they'll fall over themselves for a candidate of your calibre. They just wont trawl through the thousands of unread emails in their inbox to find you :wink:

Fwiw, I prepared for the lnat as if my life depended on it :smile:

Haha... that's definitely where I went wrong, I did next to nothing in preparation, I just relied on the fact that they said you couldn't really prepare for it and went in blind. Stupid, stupid thing to do!

Thanks for the kind words! I took your advice and spent the day on the phone to them... now all I need is for them to pick up! lol

I also realised that as I've made my choices, it won't simply be a case of withdrawing and going into Extra, I'd have to write to both my Firm and Insurance and ask them to withdraw me (some uni's can require exceptional circumstances to do this, as officially I'm committed to them, but from what I've read on the forums, Exeter and Lancaster are generally OK with this.) If they allow me to withdraw, I can try for Durham. If not, there is Adjustment. I'm not sure how this works if you're taking an untraditional pathway and already have your results and can provide evidence two weeks earlier? But I've asked on the 'UCAS' forum so hopefully someone will have a better idea than me, if not I'll see what Durham say as to whether my application is favourable and if it is I'll call UCAS tomorrow and see what they say.

Ultimately I'm happy with Exeter, but I can at least give Durham a shot, it won't hurt me if they say no!
Reply 3816
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I understand what you mean about regretting not engaging with a higher level of law, but I'm struggling to gauge what constitutes that. On my draft, I've given a paragraph to talking about the Hart-Devlin debate, and why I disagree with a number of the views put forward in the latter's "The Enforcement of Morals"; however I've only chosen to write about that because it's a topic which I find interesting and links with my EPQ. I'd presume that that's not exactly insightful enough, but what kind of thing would be?

I've ordered Brownsword's "Understanding Law" - cheers for the recommendation! :smile:

Principally, your PS needs to show both your interest in law and your capacity for studying it. The Hart-Devlin debate looks to me like it provides a wide scope to talk about what law is, why it's how it is, and whether that's a good thing. If you can use what you write to explain your interest in the subject, and provide evidence for that via your EPQ more's the better. Admissions tutors will be trying to ascertain your promise from how you engage with your chosen subject(s). It's a little tricky for someone in my position to quantify how best to do this, but the more you read around the subject, the more apt your observations are likely to be.

Out of interest, is Hart-Devlin part of the A Level law syllabus? If so, it's likely that admissions tutors will see another 3 dozen statements that reference it, so be wary of that.

Original post by Elle408
Haha... that's definitely where I went wrong, I did next to nothing in preparation, I just relied on the fact that they said you couldn't really prepare for it and went in blind. Stupid, stupid thing to do!

Thanks for the kind words! I took your advice and spent the day on the phone to them... now all I need is for them to pick up! lol

I also realised that as I've made my choices, it won't simply be a case of withdrawing and going into Extra, I'd have to write to both my Firm and Insurance and ask them to withdraw me (some uni's can require exceptional circumstances to do this, as officially I'm committed to them, but from what I've read on the forums, Exeter and Lancaster are generally OK with this.) If they allow me to withdraw, I can try for Durham. If not, there is Adjustment. I'm not sure how this works if you're taking an untraditional pathway and already have your results and can provide evidence two weeks earlier? But I've asked on the 'UCAS' forum so hopefully someone will have a better idea than me, if not I'll see what Durham say as to whether my application is favourable and if it is I'll call UCAS tomorrow and see what they say.

Ultimately I'm happy with Exeter, but I can at least give Durham a shot, it won't hurt me if they say no!

That's exactly how I see it; if they say yes, you've got a fantastic new opportunity, if they say no, you're exactly where you were before you asked, you can't lose :smile:

I'm sure you'll get hold of them eventually. Got my fingers crossed for you, be sure to let us know how you get on :smile:
Reply 3817
Original post by gtfo

I don't think you did anything wrong in analysing and evaluating a couple of areas of law. For myself, although I was rejected by UCL, I received offers from KCL, LSE and QMUL for law. In my PS, I analysed specific areas of law - like you did - and linked them all to my interests in law. That is why I don't think something as introductory and as widely known as "Understanding Law" would place your PS at an edge, but rather, a solid analysis of something that no other candidate would write would give your PS an edge.
Reply 3818
Original post by darkccc
I don't think you did anything wrong in analysing and evaluating a couple of areas of law. For myself, although I was rejected by UCL, I received offers from KCL, LSE and QMUL for law. In my PS, I analysed specific areas of law - like you did - and linked them all to my interests in law. That is why I don't think something as introductory and as widely known as "Understanding Law" would place your PS at an edge, but rather, a solid analysis of something that no other candidate would write would give your PS an edge.

Ah, I think I've been lost in translation a little. I agree with you 100% that solid analysis is critical; what I'm suggesting is that a comprehensive introductory title like Understanding Law will greatly augment your ability to engage with a topic.

I think we had similar strategies, in that I tried to pick a legal matter that I didn't think many others would write about. While I did a lot of preliminary reading, I think Understanding Law is head and shoulders above the other pre-LLB books I've read, and that if I'd read it before I wrote my PS, my analysis would have been better informed.

I'll add my PS to the library once the application cycle has ended, so anyone who's interested can judge for themselves.
Original post by gtfo
Principally, your PS needs to show both your interest in law and your capacity for studying it. The Hart-Devlin debate looks to me like it provides a wide scope to talk about what law is, why it's how it is, and whether that's a good thing. If you can use what you write to explain your interest in the subject, and provide evidence for that via your EPQ more's the better. Admissions tutors will be trying to ascertain your promise from how you engage with your chosen subject(s). It's a little tricky for someone in my position to quantify how best to do this, but the more you read around the subject, the more apt your observations are likely to be.

Out of interest, is Hart-Devlin part of the A Level law syllabus? If so, it's likely that admissions tutors will see another 3 dozen statements that reference it, so be wary of that.

Ahhh just checked and it is on the A Level law syllabus, I hadn't realised. Will steer clear now! Thanks for pointing that out, as well as your other information. Will try to take it all on board and improve :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending