Reply 580
Original post by Wagonsroll303
Hello. I'm hoping to study Law and French at one of these unis:
King's College London
University College London
Nottingham
Warwick
Exeter

I achieved AAAAA in my AS-levels (English Literature, French, History, Religious Studies, General Studies) but achieved A*AAAAAAABB in my GCSEs. Although I understand that my GCSEs aren't exactly bad, do you think that these uni choices are still realistic? (Assuming I do moderately well on my LNAT, of course)

Thanks.

Well your AS results are really good, so you can definitely give it a good go. The LNAT will be essential, and will probably outweigh your GCSEs. Saying that, most candidates will have better GCSEs than you.
Reply 581
Got my LNAT tomorrow! :O
Any last minute advice guys?
Is anybody else worryingly chilled about this whole law application?

I haven't booked my LNAT yet but will probably book it for the end of October. Oh, and I haven't even started my personal statement...yet I'm feeling pretty relaxed about it all.. somebody please kick some sense into me and make me start all the work I need to do!
Original post by Kandy_Kain_94
Don't worry I am too :frown:

I can't put my ideas down on paper :frown:. Nothing I write seems to make any sense/it sounds stupid so I'm nowhere near ready to hand in my first draft to my teachers.
Original post by rubadubdub
Is anybody else worryingly chilled about this whole law application?

I haven't booked my LNAT yet but will probably book it for the end of October. Oh, and I haven't even started my personal statement...yet I'm feeling pretty relaxed about it all.. somebody please kick some sense into me and make me start all the work I need to do!

I haven't booked mine yet either, you're not alone :smile:. I need a bit more prep time I think. I've also only just started thinking about doing a first draft of my personal statement, so again, you're definitely not the only one! The past few months have flown by.

Oh...get on with your personal statement! Now. :biggrin:
Original post by snehame
Got my LNAT tomorrow! :O
Any last minute advice guys?

Good luck! :smile: Tell us how it goes. From what I've heard, make sure you read the questions carefully (sounds obvious, but nerves/pressure can get the better of anyone), try your best to stick to the time limits and with the essay question, try and make a quick plan in your head.
Original post by DustBowlDance
I haven't booked mine yet either, you're not alone :smile:. I need a bit more prep time I think. I've also only just started thinking about doing a first draft of my personal statement, so again, you're definitely not the only one! The past few months have flown by.

Oh...get on with your personal statement! Now. :biggrin:

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.... I'm just hoping that soon, an idea will click in my head for an amazing introduction to my PS and it will all flow from there. No such luck thus far though.

Where are you applying?
Reply 587
Good luck! :smile: Tell us how it goes. From what I've heard, make sure you read the questions carefully (sounds obvious, but nerves/pressure can get the better of anyone), try your best to stick to the time limits and with the essay question, try and make a quick plan in your head.

Sure will do :smile:
Thanks a bunch.
I'm worried about the essay cause when I type fast I tend to make a lot of errors !
Original post by rubadubdub
Uhhhhhhhhhhh.... I'm just hoping that soon, an idea will click in my head for an amazing introduction to my PS and it will all flow from there. No such luck thus far though.

Where are you applying?

That's the bit I'm struggling with too. I don't want it to sound corny or similar to what everyone else will be saying, argh. At the moment I think I'll be applying to Warwick, Nottingham, Southampton, Reading and Birmingham, yourself? :smile:

Original post by snehame
Sure will do :smile:
Thanks a bunch.
I'm worried about the essay cause when I type fast I tend to make a lot of errors !

Try and type slowly, but not too slowly of course :tongue:. I don't know about you, but when I'm under pressure I tend to rush and I don't think that's the right approach. I'd keep re-reading everything you're typing just to make sure you're not making little errors :smile:.
Reply 589
That's the bit I'm struggling with too. I don't want it to sound corny or similar to what everyone else will be saying, argh. At the moment I think I'll be applying to Warwick, Nottingham, Southampton, Reading and Birmingham, yourself? :smile:

Try and type slowly, but not too slowly of course :tongue:. I don't know about you, but when I'm under pressure I tend to rush and I don't think that's the right approach. I'd keep re-reading everything you're typing just to make sure you're not making little errors :smile:.

I hopefully don't screw it up. :P Cause I really want this.

UCL, KCL, Reading, Warwick and Durham :smile:
Reply 591
Hi guys, I got AABB at AS History, Spanish, Maths and English (the Bs were both 1 UMS of an A) , my GCSE's were 3A*s and 8As and I'm thinking of applying to Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Southampton and Exeter.
My personal statement is really good with lots of work experience, legal charity work and wider reading. My references are also excellent with my maths teacher explaining my B and predicting me an A* as I have performed well all year. My A2 predictions are A*A*A, but with my not so great academic past, do I have a realistic chance of getting into any of the universities above?
Original post by mallyjj
Hi guys, I got AABB at AS History, Spanish, Maths and English (the Bs were both 1 UMS of an A) , my GCSE's were 3A*s and 8As and I'm thinking of applying to Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Southampton and Exeter.
My personal statement is really good with lots of work experience, legal charity work and wider reading. My references are also excellent with my maths teacher explaining my B and predicting me an A* as I have performed well all year. My A2 predictions are A*A*A, but with my not so great academic past, do I have a realistic chance of getting into any of the universities above?

With your predictions you should be fine for at least a few offers with a strong PS,etc.
Reply 593
Original post by Tsunami2011
With your predictions you should be fine for at least a few offers with a strong PS,etc.

thanks, which uni's do you think would accept me? I'm actually going crazy with worry about this! like do I not have enough GCSE A*s, low AS's ect. arrgh :frown:
Reply 594
Original post by mallyjj

The majority of the Durham, Bristol and Warwick candidates will have better grades than you. 90% of applicants have a superb PS and glowing reference. The LNAT will be crucial for you, but you aren't the strongest applicant tbh.

Also, schools like yours really get my back up. Predicting you an A* when you got a B at AS? When applying to universities who don't look at UMS, it is insulting for people who got high A grade in a subject at AS to be predicted the same as someone who got a B. In my book, people who got 90% plus at AS should be predicted A* at A2, no-one else, and it really annoys me that teachers have total autonomy to make unsubstantiated predictions which you don't really deserve.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello

Nice thread.
I am hopefully also applying for Law.
So far I am not too sure on which univeristies to go for.
I'd love to study at UCL...but struggling as to which unis to choose as insurance
By the way, when are you guys planning to sit the LNAT (if it applies to you)
Original post by rdsnell
The majority of the Durham, Bristol and Warwick candidates will have better grades than you. 90% of applicants have a superb PS and glowing reference. The LNAT will be crucial for you, but you aren't the strongest applicant tbh.

Also, schools like yours really get my back up. Predicting you an A* when you got a B at AS? When applying to universities who don't look at UMS, it is insulting for people who got high A grade in a subject at AS to be predicted the same as someone who got a B. In my book, people who got 90% plus at AS should be predicted A* at A2, no-one else, and it really annoys me that teachers have total autonomy to make unsubstantiated predictions which you don't really deserve.

Gross exaagaration there. I can assure you 90% of applicants do not have superb personal statements and glowing reference, Warwick make a fuss of saying that 'every year they get personal statements, which seem to be written by the same computer', Grades are one part of the application, admittedly a rather important part, but just because other applicants have better grades, it doesn't mean the person in question has no chance. So you're saying someone with 87% shouldn't be considered for an A* prediction?. Just focus on your own application, not sure where all your animosity comes from.

I agree with your second paragraph tbh.
Original post by mallyjj
thanks, which uni's do you think would accept me? I'm actually going crazy with worry about this! like do I not have enough GCSE A*s, low AS's ect. arrgh :frown:

Exeter and Southampton, provided everything in order. The other three, I can't really tell, just depends on if you 'click' with the admission tutor.
Reply 599
Original post by rdsnell

That's a fair point, although I did get 100 in stats, 81 in C1 but I just completely blew my C2 paper for some reason and I have never got below 90 in a past paper but I just had one of those horrible days, which wasn't helped with having 3 exams on that day, but I totally get what you mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending