The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by admbeatmaker
Man Met is a terrible choice for grades ABB. I'd pick somewhere like Hull instead.

Really? I suppose I picked Man Met because I like the city of Manchester, obviously given the choice I’d rather go to Manchester Uni but with Man Met being in pretty much the same location and much easier to get into I thought it’d be quite a good choice. I haven’t actually been to an open day there yet (going in two weeks) I only had a quick look when I went to see Manchester Uni.

I’ve heard a couple of people say it isn’t that great, so I might have to have another think about it.
I want to stay fairly local (within 90 minutes on the train) so Hull isn’t really an option for me. It was between Man Met and Keele for a while, but I settled on Man Met because Keele is a little too close for my liking (about 20 minutes by car) and has higher requirements. Although Keele is a good university so I perhaps haven’t completely ruled it out just yet. There’s always Sheffield Hallam (for a lower one), but I wasn’t that impressed when I went to look around.
Oh well I have three more weeks to decide before my college wants the forms in :s-smilie:
Reply 781
Ok, for my fifth choice i'm struggling between Exeter and Lancaster??
I never hear anyone mentioning applying for law at Lancaster despite it being a top 20 uni.. any particular reasons why that i've completely overlooked?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 782
Cambridge A*AA
Kings A*AA/a + LNAT,
Nottingham AAA + LNAT
Warwick AAA

Stuck on 5th choice: UCL (AAA + LNAT) or Reading (AAB)

My predicted grades are A*A*A with an additional A* at A-level taken this year.
Should i play it safe and choose Reading or go for UCL but risk 3 unis asking for LNAT, therefore making Warwick my strongest choice as i dont think i have a great chance at cambridge?

Thanks
Reply 783
Hey everyone :smile: i was just wondering if someone could give me some feed back as to whether i stand a chance getting into these unis or i should aim a bit lower? so i did igcse's and got 3A*s, 3A's and 2C's. I then did my AS levels and got 4A's and i am i currently continuing with all 4 of these. I am really keen to apply to UCL which has an AAA requirement however, they are asking for a minimum of grade B at gcse maths and i took core and so only have a C :frown: im thinking of retaking it in the summer but do you think they will definitely reject me for not having this grade and instead it will say "pending" on my ucas application. Im also looking at nottingham, Kings college london, Newcastle and Bristol. If someone could let me know that'd be great :biggrin:
Reply 784
Hey all,
which looks more impressive? I want to do Law and have predictions of A*A*AB should I drop History which I've been predicted a B in or carry on with it regardless?
Thanks guys!
Reply 785
Original post by narusku
Hey all,
which looks more impressive? I want to do Law and have predictions of A*A*AB should I drop History which I've been predicted a B in or carry on with it regardless?
Thanks guys!

carry on with 4! looks really good doing four, shows you can cope with a big workload which is so important espesh for law! and a b is still good.. :smile:
Reply 786
Original post by 0KaY0
Cambridge A*AA
Kings A*AA/a + LNAT,
Nottingham AAA + LNAT
Warwick AAA

Should i play it safe and choose Reading or go for UCL but risk 3 unis asking for LNAT, therefore making Warwick my strongest choice as i dont think i have a great chance at cambridge?

Thanks

i would go for reading as your insurance since they are asking for lower grades than the others. there's not much point having an insurance uni that is asking for the same grades as or similar to your firm choice! plus you probably have a greater chance of getting an offer from reading than UCL
Reply 787
Original post by AYO
i would go for reading as your insurance since they are asking for lower grades than the others. there's not much point having an insurance uni that is asking for the same grades as or similar to your firm choice! plus you probably have a greater chance of getting an offer from reading than UCL

Unless you're a beast of course :wink:.
Reply 788
im applying for law and my predicted grades are A*BB what unis should i apply to? most of the unis are asking for AAA which i dont think i will get and i only know of two good unis that are asking for AAB which are Kent and reading! i dont know where else to apply! HELP! oh and my gsce's are A*AABBBC
Original post by 0KaY0
Cambridge A*AA
Kings A*AA/a + LNAT,
Nottingham AAA + LNAT
Warwick AAA

Thanks

I'd say UCL, unless you would be quite happy to go Reading. If you are confident of getting 3As there's not too much point in putting a back up when you could use the place to try get an offer from a more reputable university. I think you are likely to get at least one offer with those grades (if not more!), so if you can get the grades there shouldn't be problem. Although is a risk of course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Haz-
I think it’s important to pick universities with a wide variety of grade requirements so I’m going to be applying for...
Manchester (AAA)
Birmingham (AAA/A*AB)
Sheffield (AAB for law and criminology)
Manchester Metropolitan (320 points)
Nottingham Trent (300 points)

Sorry to change the subject of your post, but since when has Birmingham's entry requirement been AAA/A*AB? :confused: I thought it was just AAA.
Reply 791
Original post by DustBowlDance
Sorry to change the subject of your post, but since when has Birmingham's entry requirement been AAA/A*AB? :confused: I thought it was just AAA.

I’m not sure since when but they now accept A*AB as an equivalent to AAA. It’s one of the reasons I’m applying there as I’m more likely to get A*AB than I am AAA. Whether or not they’d rather you to have AAA I don’t know, but you can get in with A*AB.
Just took my LNAT on the 29th, has anyone else taken it? I can't believe it takes to Feb to get the results!
Original post by BeckyJacombs
Just took my LNAT on the 29th, has anyone else taken it? I can't believe it takes to Feb to get the results!

Took it yesterday. Feel better now its finally out of the way, and yeah surely our results should at least be shown to us after we apply to our universities imo? I suppose though if you've done badly, gotten rejected from LNAT unis and aren't in competition with any mates anymore you might tell them the questions which makes it easier for other people, what they might be trying to avoid? :/

Anyway, what LNAT universities are you applying to? Just Brum here.
Original post by -Haz-
I’m not sure since when but they now accept A*AB as an equivalent to AAA. It’s one of the reasons I’m applying there as I’m more likely to get A*AB than I am AAA. Whether or not they’d rather you to have AAA I don’t know, but you can get in with A*AB.

Oh ok, thank you. I'm the opposite - I doubt I'm going to get an A* in anything.

I haven't taken it yet, but how did you find it? (I know you can't tell me the questions or anything) :smile:. Is there any advice you'd give to someone like me who will be doing it soon?
Reply 796
decided my uni choices at last. Cam, LSE, UCL, Kings, Warwick..lets hope i've not committed suicide lol

If it's anything like the fiasco that was last year, you are in for a world of fun with Pearson Vue...

/sarcasm.
Reply 798
Original post by Kenocide
If it's anything like the fiasco that was last year, you are in for a world of fun with Pearson Vue...

/sarcasm.

About that, were the results emailed to candidates actually right, aside from the results indicating a score out of 30 rather than 42?
Original post by Jeebus42
About that, were the results emailed to candidates actually right, aside from the results indicating a score out of 30 rather than 42?

Mine were, when I eventually received them.

However, my surname begins with 'S' - if I recall correctly, results of those earlier in the alphabet were incorrect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending