The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by future barrister
i heard 'letters to a law student' is a good one, throughout your undergrad career!

I can vouch for this one. Great book. Haven't personally read 'Learning the Law'.
Reply 1901
Original post by 5saqibm
wow my class mate got the same offer as you to do law and criminology i just chose straight law got a harsher offer , AAA do you think i could get away with A*AB? and if i were you i'd firm sheffield :biggrin:

Hi there sorry to butt in but I’m pretty sure the straight law offer is AAA or A*AB, does it not say that on track? If you look on the Law offers 2012 article everyone has an offer of AAA or A*AB for straight Law at Sheffield. So yeah you should be alright with A*AB :smile:
I've got a Law and Criminology offer, I picked it mainly for the slightly lower entry requirement :P
Hey guys

Which one of these would be a good firm/insurance?

Oxford Brookes -ABB
Bournemouth-340
UWE-300
Linclon-300

Thanks.
Original post by Pensivedore
Hey guys

Oxford Brookes -ABB
Bournemouth-340
UWE-300
Linclon-300

Thanks.

I'd never heard this until a couple of weeks ago, but apparently UWE is regarded as fairly good, because Bristol Uni and them share some ressources for law?!
But honestly, you've got a while to decide, why don't you take some time to look around a couple of them, which ones you'll realistically get into if you miss your top offer... No point in asking us, it's you who will have to spend 3 years there.
Hey guys

Oxford Brookes -ABB
Bournemouth-340
UWE-300
Linclon-300

Thanks.

Brookes is best of the bunch.

I would choose Lincoln as your insurance. That is currently the law department that is going places.
Original post by AnyoneOutThere
I'd never heard this until a couple of weeks ago, but apparently UWE is regarded as fairly good, because Bristol Uni and them share some ressources for law?!
But honestly, you've got a while to decide, why don't you take some time to look around a couple of them, which ones you'll realistically get into if you miss your top offer... No point in asking us, it's you who will have to spend 3 years there.

Thank you, I'm going to visit them all next year before I decide, but I just basically wondered which one of these is best for law.

Original post by nulli tertius
Brookes is best of the bunch.

I would choose Lincoln as your insurance. That is currently the law department that is going places.

Thank you! How is Lincoln going places?
Thank you, I'm going to visit them all next year before I decide, but I just basically wondered which one of these is best for law.

Thank you! How is Lincoln going places?

A steady league table ascent over several years with considerable investment in the subject. Generally, they have kept it pretty mainstream with most of the modules being black letter law.

I wouldn't criticise UWE either. UWE will be more cosmopolitan.
Original post by future barrister
i heard 'letters to a law student' is a good one, throughout your undergrad career!

Original post by admbeatmaker
I can vouch for this one. Great book. Haven't personally read 'Learning the Law'.

It's not bad, but I think that you'll find more law in 'Learning the Law.' 'Letters to a Law Student' doesn't have a very jurisprudential feel to its prose but if you're short on time then I'd say it's worth getting. It also has a section on interviews.
Reply 1908
Hello everybody. I have now received all my offers and I have narrowed it down to: Uni of Manchester and Uni of Leeds but I am currently stuck between which is "better." I believe Manchester performs poorly on UK based league tables but outperforms most UK uni's internationally. Which of these two is the best?

If interested other offers include Lancaster and York (well... interview) and a rejection from UCL. (me sad)
Reply 1909
Original post by jaba1903
Hello everybody. I have now received all my offers and I have narrowed it down to: Uni of Manchester and Uni of Leeds but I am currently stuck between which is "better." I believe Manchester performs poorly on UK based league tables but outperforms most UK uni's internationally. Which of these two is the best?

If interested other offers include Lancaster and York (well... interview) and a rejection from UCL. (me sad)

I'd go for Manchester over Leeds. But if you get an offer from York I'd give it serious thought. It's new and up and coming and has a lot if interest from the city firms :smile:

When did you send your UCAS off?

I would most certainly go for Manchester. It has much higher prestige and well renowned with Law firms. Leeds is good but I think Manchester has that cutting edge.

That's a hard choice. For me, it'd be between York and Manchester.

Manchester.

What are your GCSEs, AS level, and predictions?

Just curious.
Reply 1913
Hi everone, I am pretty late out but I am panicking over the fact that I am to sit the LNAT on friday! I did practice test 1 and only got a score of 25( I even skipped a whole text due to my immensely high stress level). I am currently doing IB retakes with a predicted grade of 40 points.

The universities i am applying for are:
QMUL
KCL
UCL
(Maybe University of Edinburgh)
The last one I am not sure of. Anyone who can give me any tips about which universities to include and/or exclude? Also, is 25 way too low for the universities I am applying to? (I have only spent a few hours studying and will probably work hard until friday, hehe)
Thanks!
Original post by studylaw
Hi everone, I am pretty late out but I am panicking over the fact that I am to sit the LNAT on friday! I did practice test 1 and only got a score of 25( I even skipped a whole text due to my immensely high stress level). I am currently doing IB retakes with a predicted grade of 40 points.

The universities i am applying for are:
QMUL
KCL
UCL
(Maybe University of Edinburgh)
The last one I am not sure of. Anyone who can give me any tips about which universities to include and/or exclude? Also, is 25 way too low for the universities I am applying to? (I have only spent a few hours studying and will probably work hard until friday, hehe)
Thanks!

If you get 25/42 in the actual test, then you are above what UCL ask for, and they're the strictest with the LNAT. Anything above 20 is a good score and will get you into the likes of Nottingham / Bristol if your other factors are good (predicted grades, first year grades, PS etc). I can't say on Kings, but they won't be as strict as UCL for LNAT Scores.

I've been told that the LNAT is considerably harder than the mock question paper, however.

For your last two I would choose a really highly rated non-LNAT university such as LSE and then a good university just as a fallback, so something like Exeter, Newcastle etc.

Edit; bear in mind that Edinburgh do Scots law, so you would need to do a GDL if you want to practice English law. Also, just noticed you have QMUL down, in that case I would swap the suggestion of Newcastle/Exeter etc for another LNAT uni like Bristol (they don't do a minimum threshold like UCL, Nottingham etc so if you do bad it won't be the end of the world).

Although it's impossible to tell with QMUL as last year they received 2800 apps for 270 places so they're not really a completely 'safe' bet on an offer, certainly less so than unis such as Newcastle, Exeter, Leeds etc (no disrepect intended). With the entry requirements going to A*AA for the first time this year, that could change though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1915
Thanks! That's nice to hear :smile: I had a friend who applied to QMUL last year and apparently he messed up on his LNATS (although, now they do not request LNAT anymore) and got a sligtlhy lower predicted than I. I will give QMUL a shot. I will look into Bristol, I don't know much about the university. Thanks for the tip! I need to look into the whole thing with the GDL ( I did not even think about that!)

Also, I was wondering if that the fact that I am doing retakes will have an overall devastating effect when applying to the higher ranked universities?
Original post by studylaw
Thanks! That's nice to hear :smile: I had a friend who applied to QMUL last year and apparently he messed up on his LNATS (although, now they do not request LNAT anymore) and got a sligtlhy lower predicted than I. I will give QMUL a shot. I will look into Bristol, I don't know much about the university. Thanks for the tip! I need to look into the whole thing with the GDL ( I did not even think about that!)

Also, I was wondering if that the fact that I am doing retakes will have an overall devastating effect when applying to the higher ranked universities?

In terms of Bristol, their reputation is in the same category as Nottingham and Warwick and I'm sure many on here would argue they're easily a top 10 law school in the UK. So I wouldn't worry about that. I have no idea about their IB entry requirements, but it's AAA so it could actually be a bit lower than KCL/QMUL yet not compromising on 'prestige'. I think its a pretty solid university to put down if you're unsure about your last few places to fill.

Obviously stuff like Accommodation is subjective and not my place to comment.

In regards to retakes, it's not going to have a devastating effect (at least not for A level retakes) unless you are doing a 3rd year.
(edited 12 years ago)
My application was sent on the 14th of December.
Got a conditional Offer from Northumbria (My top choice) yay!
Reply 1918
offer from Leeds : AAA
offer from Sheffield : AAA
offer from Sussex : AAA
offer from Reading : AAB
offer from Hull : ABB

Im just wondering if people who have similar offers to me, what grades they got at AS?
Reply 1919
Original post by -Haz-
Hi there sorry to butt in but I’m pretty sure the straight law offer is AAA or A*AB, does it not say that on track? If you look on the Law offers 2012 article everyone has an offer of AAA or A*AB for straight Law at Sheffield. So yeah you should be alright with A*AB :smile:
I've got a Law and Criminology offer, I picked it mainly for the slightly lower entry requirement :P

hey yeah i heard it lot on these forums but i do 2 gce alevels and 1 btec subsidiary diploma in law basically equivalent to one alevel and i got a offer of 2 AA's and a distinction (equivalent of an A grade) in law. :smile: oh wow good luck hope you get the grades your predicted :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending