The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee & Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Currently have 1984 waiting in the wings.
Reply 1381
Betwixt Land and Sea by Joseph Conrad

It's comprised of three short stories, the first of which I finished reading a few days ago. It's quite evocative of a bygone age. The story is fascinating, a tale of a ship's captain's unsettling experiences on a remote tropical island and his helpless dependence on and growing involvement with a particular family. While I use the word unsettling, it is not downright disturbing which some modern work can often be (Will Self's My Idea of Fun or some Ian Banks novels, for instance). I prefer not to feel psychological terror when being entertained!

As might be expected of a book set where it is, and from the historical period, there is an assumed superiority of Caucasians shown at a couple of points in the story which can seem a bit offensive today. I don't know if Conrad held these views or not, or just his main protagonist in the story, but I would hate for anyone to be put off reading such a brilliant book.
Trainspotting, Irvine Welsh.
The Hobbit, for the lulz :biggrin:
Reply 1384
The City and the Stars by Authur C. Clarke :^_^:
Catch-22, for the 4th time.
Damned by Chuck Palahniuk, just got it.
Reply 1387
Original post by Nice Marmite
That would definitely be advisable haha.

Though I forgot to mention, I liked Anna Karenina best out of all the Russian literature I've read.

I'll google it :smile:

:google:
Was reading Martin Amis - London Fields. I NEVER give up on books, however I just couldn't bare persevering with that one any longer. Even 100 pages before the end, nothing had happened in the whole flipping book. Painfully slow plot. I skim read the last few chapters so I could actually get back to enjoying reading something.

So I have now started One Day :biggrin:
Reply 1389
Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell, what an amazing story it is, have just gotten around reading 7 chapters, its very engrossing.
Original post by najabri
Finished Pride And Prejudice And Zombies today, and onto The Aeneid - Virgil (translated to English). Thought I should get around to reading it, and it'll be one of my latin set texts so should be beneficial.

And for Christmas I'm hoping to get War And Peace, which I'm planning on finishing before spring. Although I might read some "easy" books first, depending on how I find the Virgil (though at the moment, it really doesn't seem so bad).

how did you find Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

i loved it :biggrin: i'm now reading Android Karenina, which is really good as well. :tongue:
Original post by joy12
Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell, what an amazing story it is, have just gotten around reading 7 chapters, its very engrossing.

1984 is amazing, but I defy you not feel really depressed at the end. Ooh and have you got to the bit with all the political theory stuff that is interesting when you think about it.
Reply 1392
Original post by gmseahorse
1984 is amazing, but I defy you not feel really depressed at the end. Ooh and have you got to the bit with all the political theory stuff that is interesting when you think about it.

it does seem chilling when you think about the environment BB has created for the people.
Hopefully I will finish it soon then will get to know what feelings I have at the end of the story.
The Lost Boy - Dave Pelzer

Loving it so far :smile:
Original post by laurie:)
how did you find Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

i loved it :biggrin: i'm now reading Android Karenina, which is really good as well. :tongue:

Well, I love Pride & Prejudice and it was surprisingly faithful to the book! So it was good, and I like how it gets some people who'd never read Pride & Prejudice to so. I wasn't overly excited, though.

Android Karenina? :awesome: Didn't know they'd done that one. Though I haven't read Anna Karenina so I'd want to read that before the spoof. I might look into it depending on how I find War And Peace (which I can see under the christmas tree... I know it's that book because of the sheer weight of the thing! :eek: ).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1395
Just finished Wolf Hall as it was last on the reading list and I can be really slow sometimes >_< but what a cracker! I know many people dislike it/think it's over-rated but I found it to be genuinely pretty entertaining and Cromwell/Henry were portrayed really well.
And after 4 long months of getting dusty on the shelf, it's finally time for Dune :biggrin:
The Fellowship of the Ring(LOTR part 1)
Reply 1398
I'm currently reading 'The Battle for Spain' by Anthony Beevor about the Spanish Civil War of 1936-39 but I'm finding hardly any time to read with all this revision.
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Not the type of thing i'd usually read, but is has rave reviews so i'm going to persevere!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending