The Student Room Group

Fractions GCSE HELP

Sorry I cant write the symbols. If somebodys writes it in Latex, I will copy it onto here.
(27(over)8) to the power of -2(over)3
I will give personal rep to the person who helps me undertand.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
(278)23\left( \dfrac{27}{8} \right)^{-\frac{2}{3}}? Think about what the negative sign means before the indice, and also the fact that a23(a13)3a^{\frac{2}{3}} \equiv (a^{\frac{1}{3}})^3.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by olipal
(278)23(\dfrac{27}{8})^{-\frac{2}{3}}? Think about what the negative sign means before the indice, and also the fact that a23(a13)3a^{\frac{2}{3}} \equiv (a^{\frac{1}{3}})^3.

Does it mean like you put it into a fraction?
Reply 4
Original post by iPad User
Does it mean like you put it into a fraction?

Well (and I'll give another example using letters not to completely give the game away), note that ab1aba^{-b} \equiv \dfrac{1}{a^b}.
Reply 5
Yeh I already knew that but its because its in a fraction it kind of threw me... I dont get it when theres a fraction? How do you do it?
Well, OP, what does the negative power suggest?
Yeh I already knew that but its because its in a fraction it kind of threw me... I dont get it when theres a fraction? How do you do it?

Well do you understand basic factions, such as 41/24^{1/2}
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by proud nd luvin it
Well, OP, what does the negative power suggest?

That you put it in a fraction over one.
Reply 9
Well do you understand basic factions, such as 41/24^{1/2}

Yes that means, square root 4, then do it to the power of 1.
Reply 10
If you have a fraction to the power of a negative number, flip the numerator and the denominator around before calculating the power (and of course, remove the negative sign). Think of (ab)c\left(\dfrac{a}{b} \right)^{-c} as being 1(ab)c\dfrac{1}{\left(\dfrac{a}{b} \right)^{c}}.

You shoud know what happens when you divide a number by a fraction, right?
(edited 12 years ago)
That you put it in a fraction over one.

Right, so just for the minute, let's ignore the negative sign, waht would you normally do with the power?
basically, because it's(-) you have to flip the fraction over so it's effectively 1/(27/8) which = 8/27. Then you must cube root 8/27 which will give 2/3 and then square 2/3 which = 4/9- i hope this helps :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes that means, square root 4, then do it to the power of 1.

Right, so (27/8)2/3=(8/27)2/3(27/8)^{-2/3} = (8/27)^{2/3}
and also, using an indices rule, you should know that (a/b)c=(ac/bc)(a/b)^{c} = (a^{c} / b^{c})
Reply 15
Right, so just for the minute, let's ignore the negative sign, waht would you normally do with the power?

I think I get it now, so first we do 1 over (27 over 8) now we flip it because its a minus to make 1 over 8 over 27, now we find the cube root, because this is the bottom number of the fraction (3), which give us 2 over 3, we now square them both because two is on top, giving us 4 over 9?!
You could have worked that one out on your iPad, right?
I think I get it now, so first we do 1 over (27 over 8) now we flip it because its a minus to make 1 over 8 over 27, now we find the cube root, because this is the bottom number of the fraction (3), which give us 2 over 3, we now square them both because two is on top, giving us 4 over 9?!

Careful, 1/(27/8) 1/(27/8)

gives you 8/278/27

That's probably what you meant :tongue: and yes, that is the right answer :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Careful, 1/(27/8) 1/(27/8)

gives you 8/278/27

That's probably what you meant :tongue: and yes, that is the right answer :yep:

Hurray!

So if it was 27 over 8 to the power of 2 over 3 (no minus's)

How would we do that, because its not minus so you dont flip upside down?
Hurray!

So if it was 27 over 8 to the power of 2 over 3 (no minus's)

How would we do that, because its not minus so you dont flip upside down?

Yes that's right, you just leave it as it is, so you'd get 9/4 9/4

The method is the same, except, it's not 1 over anything :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest