The Student Room Group

How to manage the "ugly stage" of growing out short hair?

Hello,
I finally bit the bullet in April regarding my severely damaged hair, and had it all cut off, apart from about an inch and a half at best all over.
It's in great condition now, but it's getting to the mullet stage!

I had a quick look on some forums and people were calling it the "dreaded ugly stage" but didn't give tips on how to style it.

The problem is that I have a sort-of fringe developing, but the hair next to it is shorter! (I don't know how that's happened, it was all cut to the same length)

So styling it with a fringe looks strange unless I were to cut my fringe shorter, which isn't ideal as then that would be all of my budding fringe gone.
(I'd rather wait for that shorter bit to catch up then trim it to the same length).

Another issue is the sides, it is slightly longer on one side, and it just looks like a mullet!

I just thought it would all grow at the same rate :s-smilie:

Right now to style it I comb it when wet into my parting, put a clip in my fringe-bit to hold it back, put some mousse in the back and put a girly hairband on to hold it off my face.

Has anyone else been through this ugly stage? I'm hope I never have to again after this!
Jess x
Reply 1
A French roll?

That was how I had to have my hair styled for prom - I'd decided to get it cut rather short a month or so beforehand, just wanting a radical change, much to the annoyance of the woman planning on styling my hair for the event :lol:
Reply 2
I've just gotten out of this awful phase, my hair is now gloriously shoulder-length. I feel your pain!

To be honest there isn't much you can do - what you're doing right now sounds the best option, and it's what I did before, namely, clip it back/ alice band/ mousse, and wait.

You did the right thing getting it chopped all off though. Mine wasn't bad before, just a bit thin and "fly away", but since it's been cut and grown out it's been lovely and healthy and thick. I'm sure yours will be the same, it just takes patience.
blahhhhh, i feel your pain U_U

i grew out my roots (.....grey hair) for 14 months before i decided to cut my old bleached blond off - nearly 30cm went byebye in one sitting, leaving me with only ~17cm grey left, same length all round with no layers or fancy fringe cut.
it looked bloody 'orrible while it was growing out with the old blonde still hanging on (light blonde ends + dark grey roots = bumblebee head :'D ), but it was always more preferable for me to do it this way, than to have cut the blond off any earlier.......otherwise it would leaving me looking like old man ;_; just measured in at 24cm now, so it is getting there,SLOWLY :'D

........i found that wearing hats helped me take my mind off it, U_U
Reply 4
GHDs and Serum.

Quick Reply

Latest