The Student Room Group

Uni exams becoming too much...

I'm currently in my first year of a degree and exams at rapidly looming and I am struggling to cope. I've got 2 1/2 weeks until my exams start, I have already been working for them, but I still have far, far too much work to do in the time I have left. I am on a graduate entry course (I already have one undergrad degree) so am doing a 2in1 year this year. So it literally is a case of trying to learn two years work in the same time other people learn one.

I'm getting to the point where I am struggling to motivate myself to work anymore. I feel like I am sinking and as everyday ends I am more and more behind the work I need to have done. I go to review sessions and mock exams at uni, and come away feel more and more rubbish and like I have an even bigger pile of work to cover.

I know I need to work, otherwise it will just get worse, but I don't know where to start with it anymore, as I have soo much to do. I end up coming home from uni after a mock exam and just breaking down in tears for an hour or so, then start trying to work and not understand what I am doing, or finish looking at a topic and then look at a past paper q and realise I can't do it.

I really don't know what to do to try and shake myself out of this. I really don't see how one earth I will pass these exams and feel like giving up and just not bothering and resitting in the summer.

A friend has suggested I go to the doctor, but I don't know what they can do to help in this short a time I have left.

I don't really know what I want...I guess just any suggestions from anyone else who has felt similar about how to try and pull myself out of this cycle of feeling so overwhelmed, down and stressed about it all.

:hugs: Going to the GP is a good idea but if you really don't want to (though I advise that you do), then there are a few things you can do.

The obvious one is breakdown the work: just say to yourself 'Today I will revise 2 lectures and then I won't do any more' - build up from little bits of work and you'll be surprised how much you've covered.

For the anxiety, try meditation. You can find videos on youtube to help you. The reason I suggest this is because meditation helps to destress and declutter your mind. It really does work and if nothing else, 10 minutes of deep breathing will make you feel a little calmer. If you want to you could search for motivation/positivity meditation etc - these are guided meditations/visualisations that make you feel like you're better able to achieve what you need. I know it can sound a little cheesy, but it really works for me.

:console@
I completely agree with Aemiliana when she says break it up in little bits.

Make a plan and stick to it and when you've done one of the things on your list reward yourself so it doesn't feel like it's too much of a drag. I really struggle to revise and find this really helps. Also find the best way of revising for you; i like to make mind maps and re-write notes. I also find talking about stuff helps me to remember it.

Good luck and remember loads of people are feeling the same :smile:
Aemiliana hit the nail on the head.

I had to do some last minute cramming for an exam last night and if I'd have looked at it as 'half a module of cognitive' and 'half a module of social' I would never have got anything done but instead I said 'one social lecture, one cognitive lecture, another social lecture then tea, one cognitive lecture, one social lecture, one cognitive lecture, meet friend for a cigarette, last two lectures, watch TV then bed.'
If you have lots of exams or an exam that is on lots of topics, I always find it useful to jump between two things to keep my mind active and I remember a lot more doing it like that as well.

If the stress gets too much then do go and see your GP. I was getting so stressed that I couldn't sleep and then I was tired all day because I hadn't slept so he gave me some sleeping tablets to get me back into a normal sleep rhythm and I was right as rain again in less than a week.

Quick Reply

Latest