The Student Room Group

Stressed about final year university exams

I’m a final year student studying a neuroscience bachelors. I have 4 exams, my first ones on the 29th of April. I have no knowledge on content, I just need a 2:1 but idk anything idk how i’m going to learn so much content in such little time :frown:( there’s so much to learn and I haven’t been able to remember anything. My 2nd year grades werent great i got a 56 overall and this accounts for 40% of my degree. I really need some tips and advice on how to actually get remember things (this will be my first in person exams since gcses) I feel so hopeless
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’m a final year student studying a neuroscience bachelors. I have 4 exams, my first ones on the 29th of April. I have no knowledge on content, I just need a 2:1 but idk anything idk how i’m going to learn so much content in such little time :frown:( there’s so much to learn and I haven’t been able to remember anything. My 2nd year grades werent great i got a 56 overall and this accounts for 40% of my degree. I really need some tips and advice on how to actually get remember things (this will be my first in person exams since gcses) I feel so hopeless

Hey,

Completely understand your stress about going back to in-person exams, definitely feels foreign now afer a few years of online exams!!

Not specifically about remembering things but one of my best revision tips is making a 'traffic light' spreadsheet: AKA, writing out all the topics you need to learn for each row, and then have columns with revision weeks/dates. Then, colour code the boxes as green (know it well), amber (kind of know it), red (don't know anything) for each week/time you do revision. This can help you stay on track of what you really need to go over, rather than unnecessarily going over things you know well. Then hopefully, as the weeks go on the spreadsheet should start to become more green!

Best of luck with your exams - you still have a good amount of time so I'm sure you'll smash it!!

Natalie
University of Kent
Hey! I'm sorry to hear you're feeling stressed and hopeless about your exams. Can I ask if you've been in contact with academic advisors at your uni to arrange some 1-1's on essay writing and advice and help with remembering content? I didn't end up using them when I was a student until my third year, and wish I'd used them sooner. They really helped me! If you're also feeling hopeless and feel like everything is getting on top with you please do reach out to your uni's mental health and counselling service for someone to talk to, sometimes just getting it all off your chest makes things a bit clearer.

Some apps I'd recommend for helping to remember content are OneNote, which is a great way to stay organised and create different notebooks for different essays/work etc. Quizlet is one I used to use regularly through sixth form, it helped me remember content a lot quicker and easier - you can create flashcards and quizzes so it actually makes memorising things more fun too :smile:

I wish you the very best of luck with your exams!!

Becky

Anon,

I know it's scary to think about your final exams, but you have to be more positive. If you believe that you can't do well or won't do well then that negativity will begin to affect your revision and attitude towards your exams. Be positive. You have made it this far and have a little further to go.

I think mnemonics can be helpful for remembering things as you find one word or sentence to summarise key points and can associate ideas with day-to-day life. This may or may not work for you, so do think about the revision strategies you used during your GCSEs and what helped.

You can't go over or memorise everything, but by focusing on the topics that are most likely to come up you can put yourself in a better position to get through your exams well. You might also find studying with others or being creative helps you to remember key information.

Finally, keep your revision manageable but do put in the time you're nearly there!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

HI there,

I'm sorry to hear this! I can't give too much advice on remembering content but, when it comes to exam technique and increasing grades, to what extent have you been through previous feedback? This is really the key to improving. Wout it be possible for you to go to office hours and speak to someone about how you can improve?

It seems impossible now but once you've done it, you'll be glad that you put the work in

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending