The Student Room Group

OCR AS-Level Computing F452 Programming Techniques and Logical Methods 7th June 2011

  
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone have notes/resources on concatenation?
I'm refering to section g) of the "common facilities of procedural languages" part of the syllabus. Thanks.
Good subject...

Can't wait for it to finally get out of my life after Tuesday.
Reply 3
Original post by dtailor
Does anyone have notes/resources on concatenation?
I'm refering to section g) of the "common facilities of procedural languages" part of the syllabus. Thanks.

You probably dont need a reply any more as its a few days late but you dont need to know to much about concatenation..
All you need to know is that its when two strings are joined together to make one.
Also many languages use the operator '+' for this operation. e.g. FullName = FirstName + Surname
Reply 4
Original post by Bemz
You probably dont need a reply any more as its a few days late but you dont need to know to much about concatenation..
All you need to know is that its when two strings are joined together to make one.
Also many languages use the operator '+' for this operation. e.g. FullName = FirstName + Surname

Do we need to know much about string maniplulation?
E.g LeftStr, MidStr, RightStr
Reply 5
Original post by TopWarrior
Do we need to know much about string maniplulation?
E.g LeftStr, MidStr, RightStr

Yep, it's in the spec so you do.
Reply 6
This shouldn't be too bad (famous last word's that...). Good thing about this paper is that there's some questions where there's 10 easy marks up for the grabs. The bad thing though, as a result is that the grade boundaries are extremely high, its normally around 66 out of 100 for a C, which is a lot.

As long as you're good at algorithms and have the key definitions nailed, hopefully it should be fine!
Reply 7
Anyone know where to get the 2011 paper jan ms and paper? Any other resources would be greatful
Reply 8
Original post by cjcmoney
Anyone know where to get the 2011 paper jan ms and paper? Any other resources would be greatful

My teacher sent me them today, enjoy :smile:

(First time uploading, hopefully it works)
F452Jan11.pdf
Jan 2011 Mark Scheme.pdf
Reply 9
Original post by benji15000
My teacher sent me them today, enjoy :smile:

(First time uploading, hopefully it works)
F452Jan11.pdf
Jan 2011 Mark Scheme.pdf

Thanks! +Rep
Reply 10
How did everybody find the paper?
It was a bit of a b1tch to be honest.
Reply 11
I thought the first bit was alright, got harder towards the middle and the last bit was fine. Apart from it asking us to write recursion, anyway...
Reply 12
Past grade boundaries for F452...

.............A....B....C....D... E
09 JA - 83..74..65..56..48
09 JU - 70..61..53..45..37
10 JA - 79..72..65..58..52
10 JU - 77..68..59..51..43
11 JA - 81..75..69..63..58

On average it is:

78 or more - A
70 to 77 - B
62 to 69 - C
55 to 61 - D
48 to 54 - E
0 to 47 - U

Quite bizarre historical grade boundaries, however the June tends to be lower than January, which hopefully will be the case here.
Didn't find it too hard but the recursion question ruined it for me :frown:
Reply 14
Wasn't great. I did okay Like C'ish but I should so be able to get a lot better :/

I just ran out of time because I have to type it on the computer. Looks like I could of done with more time. I wrote the recursion in about 30 seconds :smile:

I know my code is sound, the rest of the paper makes me weep.
Original post by MackemJitler
Didn't find it too hard but the recursion question ruined it for me :frown:

I thought the recursion was quite easy actually - my answer was (in pseudocode):

FUNCTION SequenceItem(n)
IF n = 1 THEN
RETURN 2 //First item in the sequence
ELSE
RETURN n + SequenceItem(n-1) // Add this n to the previous item in the sequence
END IF
END FUNCTION
Reply 16
Original post by titsmcgee
I thought the recursion was quite easy actually - my answer was (in pseudocode):

FUNCTION SequenceItem(n)
IF n = 1 THEN
RETURN 2 //First item in the sequence
ELSE
RETURN n + SequenceItem(n-1) // Add this n to the previous item in the sequence
END IF
END FUNCTION

Are you talking about the last question?
They asked for a high-level programming language? I thought pseudocode was a high-level description convention, not an actual language.
Did not feel very comfortable with this paper at all. However, very relieved that they have a GUI design and calculating file size questions. An easy 18 marks. Plus, the written communication question about beta testing was very easy I thought as well. I think I'll get a C on F452 and a B/A on F451
Original post by TopWarrior
Are you talking about the last question?
They asked for a high-level programming language? I thought pseudocode was a high-level description convention, not an actual language.

Yeah, mine was in a high level language, I just wrote it in pseudo to make it easier for everyone to understand :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by titsmcgee
Yeah, mine was in a high level language, I just wrote it in pseudo to make it easier for everyone to understand :wink:

Gdgd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending