The Student Room Group

Are the models on the ASOS website too thin?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clo-clo1
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure ASOS is the largest growing fashion retailer in the UK. I think they are one of the highest earning fashion retailers in the world.

That may well be true; their prices are generally good, as is the range of styles and sizes they stock. What is also true is that they would attract a larger section of the market if they could win over the people who won't buy clothes online due to uncertainty about how they would hang or fit on a more "average" frame. Several people in this thread have already mentioned that this is an issue which prevents them from buying from Asos and the same is true for myself. The fact that most big names still have a strong high street presence despite the fact that online stores are cheaper to run confirms that there are lots of people who are deterred from buying online, due in part to this problem. I appreciate that different models will not entirely solve the fitting issue, but if they showed garments on a range of different figures (hourglass, pear, athletic) then they would probably inspire more confidnce and help to lure the hesitant folk off the fence :smile:.
Some are serious "feed me" cases. Why doesn't ASOS feed their models? ****in Capitalism.
Reply 42
fapfapfapfapfapfap
Reply 43
As much as people may want plus size models and ones that are more relevant to the 'normal girl'. The fact is clothes look better on skinnier women, therefore you'd imagine them looking better on yourself. Its just a way that they can sell more and it also means they have a larger target market. A skinny girl may not waste her time looking at plus sized models, whereas a larger girl would still look at skinny/ normal models.
Original post by blinkbelle
But I don't think that's necessarily true, I often think the clothes I buy would look better on models with at least SOME curves (and by curves I don't mean fat, I mean hips that don't look like they belong on a 13 year old boy). For example pencil skirts, shirts and some dresses look better when they are filled, rather than just hanging on the model's tiny frame. I think a bit more variety in shapes might be a good idea for ASOS
xx

This. Some clothes suit skinny women, some suit more fuller figured girls(not fat btw). Shops should have a variety of models in different shapes to showcase different styles of clothing. :smile:
Like other people have said maybe a wider representation is necessary.

However they dont like overly unhealthy. Having been there myself people with EDs get a distinctive type of look, which is a whole other world of thin than just being slightly on the skinny side. Sounds judgemental, but you can recognise things you have seen in yourself I guess.
Nothing wrong with the models they use, they look healthy to be honest, maybe they could use some models of a size or two bigger than currently but no need to really
Reply 47
The last model is wearing a size 8 and doesn't look unhealthy. You have to be really quite skinny before it becomes unhealthy, unless the reason for your weight is anorexia / malnutrition / another health problem. If you're naturally slim, eat well and exercise plenty it's healthier to be a size 6 than a size 12.
Original post by PygmyShrew
I wouldn't imagine they airbrush to make them look less skinny though?

I've heard of ribs being airbrushed out. It's skinny and toned that tends to be attractive rather than having bones sticking out. :smile:
They're skinny but they don't look unhealthy but that could be due to airbrushing.
Reply 50
I've noticed this sometimes, too. I don't think they do it any more than other clothing stores e.t.c. though (not that it makes it all right!). I especially think their "curve" models are ridiculous, most of them are not 'large' at all!
Original post by don'tyouremember?
I think most of them are ok. Yes, they are very slim, some of them verging on very skinny but that's the 'model' look i suppose. It kinda annoys me sometimes because i'll order a dress thinking it's short and i'll get it and it's touching my knees. suppose that's my fault really though.. i forget i'm vertically challenged.

Asos do usually put how tall the models are (most are 5ft 9 or 5ft 10) and I think they put lengths of dresses (not sure on this bit though).
Reply 52
I don't think they're as thin as some of the models you sometimes see on catwalks, but it is annoying when you buy something that looks great on the model but a total mess when you try it on.
they are all bigger than me :/ i wish i had curves like that
Reply 54
I don't think they look unhealthily skinny, but as someone who is not that skinny, it would be nice to see things modelled on slightly more average sizes rather than the smallest option, so you can get a better grasp of what it would look like on you. Especially when buying online, like ASOS!
They are quite slim,but I wouldn't really say that they are unhealthy. They have to use slim girls because there are some girls who automatically think 'Omg,that looks good on her,so it must look good on me',even if the model is a size 6,and the girl is a size 16:rolleyes:
But don't forget about ASOS Curve,for the more curvacious women out there! They don't discriminate!:biggrin:
Reply 56
No if thats thats her natural body type,however i know that model agencies do keep their models thin.
Reply 57
I love it when girls complain about the models making clothes look good, when they don't on them. Hello, they're models, they're paid to make clothes look good. :facepalm:
Some of the models on ASOS look about a size 4-6 at 5'10 or 5'11. That is probably clinically underweight.
Reply 59
a little. not really thin though

Quick Reply

Latest