The Student Room Group

Are the models on the ASOS website too thin?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with skinny girls - being a size 6/8 myself. But these models look a fair amount skinnier than I am..
But I have noticed on the ASOS website that a lot of the models just look a little too unhealthy.

Examples:
#1. http://www.asos.com/Miss-Mandalay/Miss-Mandalay-Electric-Zebra-Tie-Side-Bikini-Brief/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1611479&sgid=2924&cid=2238&sh=0&pge=6&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Print
#2. http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Roll-Hem-Belted-Short/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1617405&cid=9263&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Tobacco
#3. http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Simple-Vest/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1001845&cid=4718&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Brown

Especially the lower-body bikini ones.

What do you guys think? Why do ASOS do this? Is it fair to discriminate against these women, if they are naturally thin?

Discuss :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I've always thought the bikini models were extremely thin on ASOS, more so than on other sites. I don't think they should be discriminated against if this is their natural size, but I think ASOS should promote some other natural sizes too.
Too thin for what exactly? They look healthy enough if that's what you're asking.
No.
Reply 4
The last one looks too skinny but i think the bikini model has a smashing figure! I would find it hard to belive that a man would turn her down.
Reply 5
I don't really take that much notice, I just look at the clothes-I already know what I think will suit me and what won't, regardless of the size of the model.
i would say not, because their build is similar to mine. so i do not see any problem with these images ^^
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Difficult to say, might be retouched as well.

I don't think they look unhealthy but you never know, depends on height and stuff too.

I know some naturally skinny people that are all gross and bony but perfectly healthy, who knows.

Doesn't seem to be much diversity on asos though.
I think most of them are ok. Yes, they are very slim, some of them verging on very skinny but that's the 'model' look i suppose. It kinda annoys me sometimes because i'll order a dress thinking it's short and i'll get it and it's touching my knees. suppose that's my fault really though.. i forget i'm vertically challenged.
Reply 9
The men aren't.
Reply 10
They look great to me.
I tend to look at them going "WHY DON'T I LOOK LIKE THAT" since I'm around their height and probably only a clothes size bigger but still! I think they look good, I've rarely looked at an ASOS model and felt they were too skinny although there is the occasional exception. I've also rarely seen them being listed as below a size 8 on the details next to the pictures.

Still reinforces unrealistic expectations for women about what they should look like and for that reason I think they should chuck some more size 10/12s in there just to prove you can be that size and still look good, which you can.
Reply 12
jealous bitch
I don't think they look that unhealthy but I think it would be nice to see some size 10/12/14 girls modelling clothes because they always look nice on really skinny girls! You try it on and you look like a turnip =/
Reply 14
not really they look fine.
They are v slim, but not skinny skinny. They look fine to me :dontknow:.
...Not really?

...I would though :sexface:
Original post by lnwn
jealous bitch

No, I'm not jealous. Did I not just say I was a 6/8?
I don't think so...
The models are not very representative though, most of them are like 5'10 and size 8, I'm same height and size 10/12 (believe it or not, I do look slim still) and the clothes don't look the same at all on me so I tend to send most of the stuff I buy off there back.
Most people aren't 5'10 and size 8 so they really should put girls who are size 10/12/14 on there.

I think she looks pretty unhealthy facially tbh (pretty, yeah, but she looks miserable and tired. And that's with air brushing!)

Quick Reply

Latest