The Shawshank Redemption
A Prophet
Scum
Bird Man of Alcatraz
Borstal Boy
Doing Time
The Hurricane (1999)

etc
Now that we have done this for movies, howabout doing it for books? anyone?

Negetive rep for this? Really?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Roobsa
Schindler's List (1993, Steven Spielberg) - Drama/history

Done. :h:
Original post by zjs
You could almost have a "prison" category:

The Shawshank Redemption
A Prophet
Scum
Bird Man of Alcatraz
Borstal Boy
Doing Time
The Hurricane (1999)

etc

Done. :h:
Original post by damidude
Now that we have done this for movies, howabout doing it for books? anyone?

LOL, why did you get negged for this comment haha
Reply 384
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Hope this helps:

Spoiler

Musicals:

Spoiler

War:

Spoiler

Western:

Spoiler

Teen:

Spoiler

It's not all of the films in the list but this should help towards getting all the years and directors filled in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 385
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus?
Reply 386
Original post by Jack166
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus?

Original post by Roobsa
Hope this helps:

Spoiler

Musicals:

Spoiler

War:

Spoiler

Western:

Spoiler

Teen:

Spoiler

It's not all of the films in the list but this should help towards getting all the years and directors filled in.

:coma: You are awesome. :love:
Independence Day(1996, Roland Emmerich) - Action

Out of my 3 only one(butterly effect) made the list, but independence day has probably got to be my all time favourite and can't believe it didn;t make it.

It's AWESOME.
I'll Recommend just 4 films.

Some like it hot. (Romantic comedy)

I was really surprised when I first saw this film and realised that Marilyn was actually an amazing actress. The film is very funny, quite light hearted yet sustains your interest throughout. It also has one of the classic ending lines of any film, ever. Highly recommended. A 9/10 movie.

Three Colours Red (foreign)

The last in the legendary Krzysztof Kieslowski trilogy based on France's national motto 'freedom, equality and brotherhood' Red being based on brotherhood. The first thing to say about this film is that visually it is exquisite rivalled only by Crouching Tiger and The bamboo scene from House of Flying Daggers. The luscious red that defines the film is ever present and it's easy to get lost in it's magnificence. It's quite a slow film but that's because it is a film to appreciate bit by bit, not so much an action thriller more an intelligent drama. Truly an epic and stand alone film. 8.5/10

The Girl who leapt through time (Animation)

Whimsical, non-challant, fun. These three words personify this Japanese animated movie. The self explanatory title hardly does the film justice, you just watch it an instantly fall in love with the fullness of the characters and the hilarity that ensues. A girl accidently stumbles upon the ability to go briefly back in time uses this ability to manipulate situations to her advantage. Unfortunately things don't go according to plan. Definitely watch this if you enjoyed Amelie. The one gripe which stops this from being a masterpiece is the less than satisfactory ending which leaves you yearning for more. 8/10

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Action)

Absolute stunner. What really amazes about this film is the brilliance of it's soundtrack. It's like the director controls not only the film but time itself simply with the choice of music. Easily my favourite western of all time. Clint Eastwood is the blonde cowboy in a quest with two others to find a huge pot of money that would allow for his retirement from his 'honest' business. Tuco Ramirez, who plays the ugly, is probably one of my favourite characters of any film (alongside the likes of Marv from sin city but for different reasons...) he delivers one of the most comical lines I've ever heard "If you're going to shoot, shoot, don't talk...!" The Mexican standoff at the end blew me away. One of the few films I think that justifies it's length and keeps sustained entertainment throughout. It really is a masterpiece. You can see the improvements Leone made after 'For a few dollars more' how his shots have improved, and where the good ideas in the previous film have been enhanced to perfection in this. Highly recommended. 9.5/10
(edited 13 years ago)
Can I just say how much I love the fact that Basil The Great Mouse Detective made it onto that list? xD Thumbs up to whoever put that on there!
Reply 391
Original post by riotgrrl
Can I just say how much I love the fact that Basil The Great Mouse Detective made it onto that list? xD Thumbs up to whoever put that on there!

That would be me. :smile:
Original post by Roobsa
That would be me. :smile:

You officially rule. That film made my childhood xD

Ohh and for the reccomendations- Camelot (1967, Joshua Logan). I know I reccomended it the first time round but I am not letting this go :p:
Original post by Lewroll

Original post by Lewroll
LOL, why did you get negged for this comment haha

I know right. well its just not everybody's cup of tea
Reply 394
:O

where's Gettysburg!!!!!!???????
where's Appaloosa!!!!!!!???????
where's Gods and Generals!!!??

Mind you thats a good list apart from the above being missing :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MHorman
Independence Day(1996, Roland Emmerich) - Action

Out of my 3 only one(butterly effect) made the list, but independence day has probably got to be my all time favourite and can't believe it didn;t make it.

It's AWESOME.

Added. :h:

Original post by Complex Simplicity
I'll Recommend just 4 films.

Some like it hot. (Romantic comedy)

I was really surprised when I first saw this film and realised that Marilyn was actually an amazing actress. The film is very funny, quite light hearted yet sustains your interest throughout. It also has one of the classic ending lines of any film, ever. Highly recommended. A 9/10 movie.

Three Colours Red (foreign)

The last in the legendary Krzysztof Kieslowski trilogy based on France's national motto 'freedom, equality and brotherhood' Red being based on brotherhood. The first thing to say about this film is that visually it is exquisite rivalled only by Crouching Tiger and The bamboo scene from House of Flying Daggers. The luscious red that defines the film is ever present and it's easy to get lost in it's magnificence. It's quite a slow film but that's because it is a film to appreciate bit by bit, not so much an action thriller more an intelligent drama. Truly an epic and stand alone film. 8.5/10

The Girl who leapt through time (Animation)

Whimsical, non-challant, fun. These three words personify this Japanese animated movie. The self explanatory title hardly does the film justice, you just watch it an instantly fall in love with the fullness of the characters and the hilarity that ensues. A girl accidently stumbles upon the ability to go briefly back in time uses this ability to manipulate situations to her advantage. Unfortunately things don't go according to plan. Definitely watch this if you enjoyed Amelie. The one gripe which stops this from being a masterpiece is the less than satisfactory ending which leaves you yearning for more. 8/10

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Action)

Absolute stunner. What really amazes about this film is the brilliance of it's soundtrack. It's like the director controls not only the film but time itself simply with the choice of music. Easily my favourite western of all time. Clint Eastwood is the blonde cowboy in a quest with two others to find a huge pot of money that would allow for his retirement from his 'honest' business. Tuco Ramirez, who plays the ugly, is probably one of my favourite characters of any film (alongside the likes of Marv from sin city but for different reasons...) he delivers one of the most comical lines I've ever heard "If you're going to shoot, shoot, don't talk...!" The Mexican standoff at the end blew me away. One of the few films I think that justifies it's length and keeps sustained entertainment throughout. It really is a masterpiece. You can see the improvements Leone made after 'For a few dollars more' how his shots have improved, and where the good ideas in the previous film have been enhanced to perfection in this. Highly recommended. 9.5/10

Added the top 3. The last one was already on the list. :smile:

Nice write-ups!
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Added. :h:

Added the top 3. The last one was already on the list. :smile:

Nice write-ups!

Thanks. The dates and directors are:

Some like it hot (1959, Billy Wilder. Starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon)

The girl who leapt through tiime (2006, Mamoru Hosoda; pseudo-sequel to novel by Yasutaka Tsutsui 1967)

Three colours Red. (1994, Krzysztof Kieslowski)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 397
The Horror section is lacking, where's the Exorcist? The only scary film on there is The Shining ffs :colonhash:

The Exorcist (1973, William Friedkin) - Horror
Halloween (1978, John Carpenter) - Horror
[Rec] (2007, Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza) - Horror
Paranormal Activity (2007, Oren Peli) - Horror
Ju-on (2002, Takashi Shimizu) - Horror
------
The Sixth Sense (1999, M. Night Shyamalan) - Mystery?
Reply 398
One more for the thriller section - The Strangers (2008, Bryan Bertino)

It's one of the films I remember most for having an excellent use of sound.
Original post by Complex Simplicity
Thanks. The dates and directors are:

Some like it hot (1959, Billy Wilder. Starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon)

The girl who leapt through tiime (2006, Mamoru Hosoda; pseudo-sequel to novel by Yasutaka Tsutsui 1967)

Three colours Red. (1994, Krzysztof Kieslowski)

Added. :smile:

Original post by Deshi
The Horror section is lacking, where's the Exorcist? The only scary film on there is The Shining ffs :colonhash:

The Exorcist (1973, William Friedkin) - Horror
Halloween (1978, John Carpenter) - Horror
[Rec] (2007, Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza) - Horror
Paranormal Activity (2007, Oren Peli) - Horror
Ju-on (2002, Takashi Shimizu) - Horror
------
The Sixth Sense (1999, M. Night Shyamalan) - Mystery?

Thanks for the expansion of that genre. Added. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest