Add your offers to the article here

The Wiki guide to a degree in Anthropology

Thread for those applying for Anthropology for 2012 entry :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump!
(edited 12 years ago)
Omg when is the London anthropology day?? I think i may do anthropology but not sure, it seems a lot of 'older' people do it? Maybe it's me thinking it though.
Reply 3
Original post by AlienOnthePlanet
Omg when is the London anthropology day?? I think i may do anthropology but not sure, it seems a lot of 'older' people do it? Maybe it's me thinking it though.

I don't think so! There were a lot of people my age (in Year 12) in the Anthropology subject talk at LSE :smile:

London Anthropology Day is 14th July, you have to book ahead though -
http://www.londonanthropologyday.co.uk/booking-info.html
Reply 4
I'm considering doing it at Uni :smile:
I'm going to the London Anthropology Day which I'm quite excited about, I'm doing the courses:
Session 1: Feeding Fasting, Feasting: Anthropology of Food
Session 2: The Engaged Anthropologist
Session 3: Photographs and Anthropology

As for unis I'm currently looking at Cambridge, Bristol, Edinburgh, Manchester and then a London uni but I'm going to see what my AS results are like first.
Reply 5
Original post by AquilaXenon
I'm considering doing it at Uni :smile:
I'm going to the London Anthropology Day which I'm quite excited about, I'm doing the courses:
Session 3: Photographs and Anthropology

As for unis I'm currently looking at Cambridge, Bristol, Edinburgh, Manchester and then a London uni but I'm going to see what my AS results are like first.

I'm going to -
Session 3: Honour, Conflict and Coercion: The Anthropology of Violence

So I'll see you at the first 2! :biggrin: I'm considering Edinburgh, LSE, Manchester, Sussex, Goldsmiths and St Andrews :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by flume
I'm going to -
Session 3: Honour, Conflict and Coercion: The Anthropology of Violence

So I'll see you at the first 2! :biggrin: I'm considering Edinburgh, LSE, Manchester, Sussex, Goldsmiths and St Andrews :smile:

We would've gone to all 3 if I'd have changed my top two around on Session 3. I really couldn't decide between the two, but then the photography one sounded like something I didn't know for definite I was into, whereas the violence one I am, so I thought it would be better to see if I was interested in that. But yes definitely look forward to seeing you at the first 2. I'm especially looking forward to Session 2.

Did the toilet one also not take your fancy? :wink:
Oh, I am leaving go to london end o june- beginning of july , so will miss the anthropology day :s-smilie:
I am thinking of applying to st.andrews, edinburgh, goldsmiths, lse and soas, but am afraid that I will need to apply to some worst uni as a back up. Any ideas?? I am also still not perfectly convinced whether I wanne do anthropology or sociology.
Reply 8
I'm hoping to do Anthropology next year...and have only just changed my mind as I did want to do law!!
I think I'll apply to Cambridge, Durham and Manchester...but I'm not sure where else.
Have you done any good extra curricular stuff or would you recommend any books? I feel like I've got catching up to do :smile:
oo good luck to all of you :smile:
I'll be studying anth at durham in october, can't wait!
Someone was asking about books; One of the books that really got me interested in anth was An Introduction to Social Anthropology; Sharing Our Worlds by Joy Hendry. It's a really nice introductory book, interesting and not difficult to read. Small Places, Large Issues by Thomas Hylland Eriksen is also a commonly recommended one as an introductory text. Hope that helps.
Reply 10
Original post by Antifazian

oo good luck to all of you :smile:
I'll be studying anth at durham in october, can't wait!
Someone was asking about books; One of the books that really got me interested in anth was An Introduction to Social Anthropology; Sharing Our Worlds by Joy Hendry. It's a really nice introductory book, interesting and not difficult to read. Small Places, Large Issues by Thomas Hylland Eriksen is also a commonly recommended one as an introductory text. Hope that helps.

I recognise you from last years Anthropology page( I read as many anthropology forums as possible recently) Congratulations on getting into Durham!! And thatnks so much for the books :smile:
Original post by **CC**
I recognise you from last years Anthropology page( I read as many anthropology forums as possible recently) Congratulations on getting into Durham!! And thatnks so much for the books :smile:

Reply 12
Hello!
I've just discovered this thread due to attempting to research Anthropology at nearly 3am.. :')
I was at London Anthropology Day as well, small world.. haha
Reply 13
Hi,
I did the same, scrolling through the Anthropology threads in the early hours!
Missed the Anthropology day, but thinking of applying to St Andrews, Durham, Bristol and Exeter (Durham twice, one for straight Anthropology and the other Arc and Anth) Is anyone else doing this? Wasn't sure if this was such a good idea, but I just REALLY like Durham. :smile:
Original post by Madison.
Hi,
I did the same, scrolling through the Anthropology threads in the early hours!
Missed the Anthropology day, but thinking of applying to St Andrews, Durham, Bristol and Exeter (Durham twice, one for straight Anthropology and the other Arc and Anth) Is anyone else doing this? Wasn't sure if this was such a good idea, but I just REALLY like Durham. :smile:

I did the same as you and applied for both courses at Durham, then just sent them an email stating which one i'd prefer to get an offer for, should it make any difference to their decision making. Dunno if it did or not as I ended up getting offers for both, but probably worth doing anyway :smile:
Reply 15

I did the same as you and applied for both courses at Durham, then just sent them an email stating which one i'd prefer to get an offer for, should it make any difference to their decision making. Dunno if it did or not as I ended up getting offers for both, but probably worth doing anyway :smile:

Well that's decided it then! Thank you,which college did you apply for? I really like Hatfield but I wasn't sure if I should apply for the same college for both courses, do you think it would make any difference?
Well that's decided it then! Thank you,which college did you apply for? I really like Hatfield but I wasn't sure if I should apply for the same college for both courses, do you think it would make any difference?

I applied for castle for both as I couldn't choose between them all, and was given collingwood. Don't think it would make much difference if you applied to the same college for both or different ones, as your college choice isn't supposed to effect your chances of getting in anyway.
Reply 17
I applied for castle for both as I couldn't choose between them all, and was given collingwood. Don't think it would make much difference if you applied to the same college for both or different ones, as your college choice isn't supposed to effect your chances of getting in anyway.

Thank-you :smile: What were your GCSE's and AS's like?
Thank-you :smile: What were your GCSE's and AS's like?

unextraordinary :tongue: GCSE; A*AAABBBBCCCCC. I applied with my A2 results on a gap year and can't even remember what my results were at the end of AS, it's been too long since I did them! :tongue: I applied with AAB.
I'll c+p what I said in another of these threads just now!

I now have an unconditional for Social Anthropology BSocSci (3/4 year) at Manchester, for 2012. I applied for 2011 entry and missed my offer, ya see. My grades are ABC taken over 3 years, though I had extenuating circumstances. I can't wait! I vaguely know someone who's just completed their 1st year doing this course, and she said she loves it... I hope I will!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending