The Student Room Group

FP2 AQA 13/6/11 Pre/ Post Exam Thread

Hi, Anyone else doing AQA FP2 this summer? I'm finding it to be my hardest exam. Struggling understanding argand diagrams mostly. How is everyone else finding it? We can discuss post exam too on here if anyone wants to...

Shane

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeah i'm doing fp2 as well
me and one of my friends decided to do fp2 for the crack outside of school so I've had no teacher help and only really started learning it a few weeks ago :s-smilie:
I'm not too fond of z^n = re^itheta or finding a polynomial with roots ab,bc and ca etc.
Reply 2
hey, I'm doing FP2 too! I think I've learnt all that I can but there are still some things that I will never understand, like solving quartic equations z^4 + z^3 +... etc. I also dont quite get cube roots of unity. :confused: I agree that FP2 is one of the worst!
Reply 3
I actually think this is the most interesting further module! For the roots of unity you just have to know that when you multiply two complex numbers you multiply the moduli and add the arguments :smile:
I'm doing fp2 and I'm pretty nervous about it, my problem is argand diagrams as well, just can't seem to get my head around it :/
Reply 5
Roots of unity used to be the worst for me but it's not so bad now if you're clear on the rules; I'm kind of nervous about the whole alpha beta gamma roots of cubic equations thing - easy to understand in the book but in the past papers they always twist the questions which keeps throwing me :/
Reply 6
I taking it too. Really not looking forward to it. I'm doing both FP3 and FP4 but FP2 is definitely the worst of them all! No matter how many past questions I do I jsut don't seem to be able to get the hang of it, it's so annoying! :/
Reply 7
doing FP2 and C3 in the morning then FP3 and C4 on thursday my brain is going to explode!
Reply 8
FP2 is currently killing my brain -_-' I can never fully understand Argand Diagrams and nth roots of unity. Sometimes I know what I'm doing, but then another question comes up and I'm like O______O?!!

I'm going to do serious theory cramming on it tonight, hopefully my brain will retain some useful knowledge. 'Cause, if I'm not mistaken there are loadsa stuff that aren't in the formulae booklet :frown:
Reply 9
As long as I don't panic in the exam I think I'll be okay. At least this time tomorrow it'll all be over.
Reply 10
Im still up the wee hours and massively nervous about the possibility of crazy tricky questions coming up using previous techniques which i have probably forgotten. anyway good luck to everyone. I look forward to seeing where I went wrong after the exam on this thread! :P
Reply 11
Lol, well that was hard. Good thing it didn't mean anything for me really and was just a bit of fun.
Reply 12
I didn't even finish the paper :frown: And I couldn't even do the solve questions right. I'm so screwed :frown:
Reply 13
that was so hard. i hated question 7 i couldnt even finish it :frown: really hope it didnt drop my grade too badly. how did everyone else do?
Reply 14
Just curious though - did anyone get (n+2)n! - 2? I got (n+2)n! - 1 :s-smilie:
Original post by kookyrean
Just curious though - did anyone get (n+2)n! - 2? I got (n+2)n! - 1 :s-smilie:

Did you remember that 0! is one? That would give you the right answer.
Reply 16
Original post by Chewmeister
Did you remember that 0! is one? That would give you the right answer.

Oh gosh. *facepalm*
I thought it was ok apart from the sum of the roots question. What on earth is sum of a^5 and sum of a^4 ?
Reply 18
It was hard. That is all.
Reply 19
Original post by The Doctor. SW
I thought it was ok apart from the sum of the roots question. What on earth is sum of a^5 and sum of a^4 ?

You could get the sum of a^4 like this:

You know that a^3 - 2a^2 + k = 0, and you get the same results for b and c.

If you multiply through by a (and b and c for the others) you get a^4 - 2a^3 +ka = 0

Now if you add them all together you get:
a^4 + b^4 + c^4 - 2(a^3 + b^3 + c^3) + k(a + b + c) = 0

You already know the sum of a^3 and sum of a, and the question gives you the sum of a^4 so that's how you work out k.

You can do the same process to work out a^5

I got sum of a^5 = -8

Hope that was right! It was a hard paper!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending