The Student Room Group

What's hardest, AQA, Edexcel, CIE or OCR?

I only have the option of CIE IGCSE's where I live, but I was wondering from those who have perhaps had experiences with the varies governing bodies (examination boards) for GCSE's which are the hardest?

Where do you find the one has the advantage over the the other?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
my D**ks the hardest

AQA must be the easiest in my opinion but edexcel have mulitple choice questions in sciiences :s
Reply 2
OCR imo. My school refused to predict A* at all for one of their courses and they've never done that on anything else.

Schools will choose what syllabus they wish to teach by looking at the resources they need, what they have already, what they think is interesting for students and for them to teach. AQA have the most entries so that might suggest that schools/colleges think they are the best.
Reply 3
Or perhaps that they have been there the longest, not that I have any substantial evidence to base this assumption upon, I am just guessing?
Reply 4
Quick search; Edexcel is the oldest but there's not much time between any of them. AQA's proportion of the total entries fall at A Level. This might be because a lot of centres seem to do edexcel Maths and this is one of the most popular A Levels.
I feel for you...CIE IGCSEs were sent from hell and I hate having to take them.
Reply 6
Don't most international schools (outside of Europe) do CIE IGCSE? I don't know as a fact, but most of the schools in India, where I live, seem to have CIE...
Reply 7
Original post by xAditi

Original post by xAditi
Don't most international schools (outside of Europe) do CIE IGCSE? I don't know as a fact, but most of the schools in India, where I live, seem to have CIE...

It is quite possible. I know Edexcel does offer correspondence, for which I am able to enroll for online, but there is no "local" centre, pre se, for them. Only for CIE. Oh, I have also seen options to enroll for AQA via icslearn (also online).
Reply 8
There is no hardest types of exam boards. Don't worry, universities in england don't take much account of the exam boards, but rather your grades.
Reply 9
OCR imo. I've always found that the questions are weirdly worded, and its hard to work out what they're asking.
Reply 10
lets be honest, theyre all *****.
Reply 11
Thanks folks
Reply 12
Depends on the subject. e.g. GCSE Maths in Edexel is quite easy but the same linear AQA one's papers are a bit harder.
I'd say most schools choose AQA is because they probably find their specs the most interesting to teach to a bunch of bored teens.
At A-Level, tutors know that the students are actually going to be interested, hence the use of more exam boards, I know that for my A Levels starting next year I'm sitting Edexel, AQA and OCR as opposed to my gcse's now which most of them are under AQA
Reply 13
I think OCR is. But it depends on the exam, really.
Reply 14
I think CIE is the hardest... :wink:

P.D. Lets get this thread going, hahaha
CCEA - The N. Ireland exam board. The biggest B**tards alive.

I take AQA Maths and RS, and the rest CCEA. The AQA exams are so much easier in my opinion
CIE -.-
That one- CCEA I think
Edexcel IGCSE is the hardest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by UlrichZA
I only have the option of CIE IGCSE's where I live, but I was wondering from those who have perhaps had experiences with the varies governing bodies (examination boards) for GCSE's which are the hardest?

Where do you find the one has the advantage over the the other?

All GCSEs (AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC) are monitored and adjusted to ensure that the standards are comparable. This does not happen for IGCSEs (Edexcel and CIE) and in general these are more challenging.

Quick Reply

Latest