The Student Room Group

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DMed
Strictly speaking, City Airport would be closest, but costs a fortune to fly into. Heathrow is your best bet.

If you fly into City Airport, get the DLR from outside the Airport and leave the train at Bank, change onto the District or Circle line at Monument (it's in the same complex as Bank, just follow signs for Circle/District line, and board a clockwise Circle train or any Westbound District Line) and then leave the train at Temple (the campus is on the next block). Journey time 34 mins.

If you fly into Heathrow, then you've got a few options:
-Heathrow Express (vv expensive) or Heathrow Connect (slightly less expensive)to Paddington and get on the Circle/District line to Temple (anti-clockwise Circle line or any District train to Upminster)
-Piccadilly line to South Kensington and then any Eastbound District line or Anti-Clockwise Circle line to Temple

However, have you had a look at train times? The train will be significantly cheaper than flying

If I take a tube from Kings cross to Charing cross, do you know how often a tube runs, in case I miss one and to wait for the other to come ?
Reply 381
Original post by olympus123456
If I take a tube from Kings cross to Charing cross, do you know how often a tube runs, in case I miss one and to wait for the other to come ?

At the time you're travelling, they're approx every 2-3 minutes, so you won't have to wait long
Original post by olympus123456
Thanks for your reply. Yes I looked at the trains timing, they take about 5 hours to reach. I have to be there by 11 am so I will be missing sleep and breakfast too. That's why I have to go with plane travel.

I spent last year travelling between Edinburgh and London every other weekend, it's much better to get the train. By the time you've travelled to Edinburgh airport, checked in, landed at Heathrow, checked out and got to the exit (which takes a long time because it's so big!), you'll have been travelling several hours. Once you're out of Heathrow, the Picadilly line takes forever, much longer than you'd think. Heathrow Express etc are quicker but ridiculously expensive and you'll have to change again at Paddington.

So the train won't take you that much longer, is much much cheaper (especially with a railcard), and less hassle because you're not having to change so many times. Get on the Picadilly line at Kings Cross, get off at Covent Garden and it's a 5 minute walk. :smile:
Original post by DMed
x

Original post by moregano
x

Thank you for your help. I booked the train tickets.
EDIT: turns out it's wadhurst I'll be staying in lol. :rolleyes:

I'm going to an open day/interview at RHUL and I'll be staying in wadhurst for the night and was wondering what is the best way to travel from wadhurst to egham and back again.

I'd prefer to travel by train and I've looked on national rail and the only route it comes up with has 2 changes through london on the way there and 3 changes on the way back. I.e:

Depart:
Wadhurst [WAD] to London Waterloo East [WAE]

Walk from London Waterloo East [WAE] to London Waterloo [WAT]

Train from London Waterloo [WAT] to Egham [EGH]

Return:
Train from Egham [EGH] to London Waterloo [WAT]

Walk from London Waterloo [WAT] to London Waterloo East [WAE]

Train from London Waterloo East [WAE] to London Bridge [LBG]

Train from London Bridge [LBG] to Wadhurst [WAD]

I don't mind, but I was just wondering if there is another route I could take that meant I didn't need to go through london. Again I kind of know my way about london, or at least I can easily get from waterloo east to waterloo, but 2/3 changes just seems a bit of a hassle. Are there any bus services or any other transport (other than a taxi of course:tongue:) that would be easier?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 385
Hi guyz,

i'm gonna take a return to Southampton from Canterbury, on the 10th on february for a return on the 15th.

But, i want to make a stop on the return at London, I want to arrive in London on Tuesday 14th (early afternoon) and leave on the 15th (in the early evening).

Is it possible ? Or can i take try ? (because i dont want to pay more than 40 quid ...)

Thank you ! :smile:

P.S. Also I'd like to have (i know it doesnt exist) but like a Two days pass in london (for my gf and I) what is the better deal ? For two days in london (We'll use at least 5/6 times the tube)
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
EDIT: turns out it's wadhurst I'll be staying in lol. :rolleyes:

I'm going to an open day/interview at RHUL and I'll be staying in wadhurst for the night and was wondering what is the best way to travel from wadhurst to egham and back again.

I'd prefer to travel by train and I've looked on national rail and the only route it comes up with has 2 changes through london on the way there and 3 changes on the way back. I.e:

Depart:
Wadhurst [WAD] to London Waterloo East [WAE]

Walk from London Waterloo East [WAE] to London Waterloo [WAT]

Train from London Waterloo [WAT] to Egham [EGH]

Return:
Train from Egham [EGH] to London Waterloo [WAT]

Walk from London Waterloo [WAT] to London Waterloo East [WAE]

Train from London Waterloo East [WAE] to London Bridge [LBG]

Train from London Bridge [LBG] to Wadhurst [WAD]

I don't mind, but I was just wondering if there is another route I could take that meant I didn't need to go through london. Again I kind of know my way about london, or at least I can easily get from waterloo east to waterloo, but 2/3 changes just seems a bit of a hassle. Are there any bus services or any other transport (other than a taxi of course:tongue:) that would be easier?

No there doesn't appear to be another route - though I don't know why you've chosen 3 changes on the way back? Just go the same 2 change route in reverse.

And it's not really 2 changes. The walk between London Waterloo and Waterloo East is less than 5 minutes - it's practically the same station. It's only really 1 change.
Original post by Tom_Sg
Hi guyz,

i'm gonna take a return to Southampton from Canterbury, on the 10th on february for a return on the 15th.

But, i want to make a stop on the return at London, I want to arrive in London on Tuesday 14th (early afternoon) and leave on the 15th (in the early evening).

Is it possible ? Or can i take try ? (because i dont want to pay more than 40 quid ...)

P.S. Also I'd like to have (i know it doesnt exist) but like a Two days pass in london (for my gf and I) what is the better deal ? For two days in london (We'll use at least 5/6 times the tube)

So - you're going from Canterbury to Southampton, then want to stop in London for a day and return to Canterbury the next day? What is included in your £40 budget, all fares or just the one to London?

As for the pass for London/tube, purchase two oyster cards from a station on the day.
Reply 388
Original post by Kevmeister
So - you're going from Canterbury to Southampton, then want to stop in London for a day and return to Canterbury the next day? What is included in your £40 budget, all fares or just the one to London?

As for the pass for London/tube, purchase two oyster cards from a station on the day.

Ok this is my way -> Canterbury West -> Southampton Aiport -> London King Cross -> Canterbury West/East.

The 40£ are for my return just only the ticket :wink:
Original post by Tom_Sg
Ok this is my way -> Canterbury West -> Southampton Aiport -> London King Cross -> Canterbury West/East.

The 40£ are for my return just only the ticket :wink:

You can do the first leg for £20 but it takes 5hrs. 2nd leg is £37. Final leg is £30.

So, with a railcard you're looking at circa £60.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 390
I can't take a return canterbury to southampton and make a stop a london (because its through london) ?
Because you're staying a night in London, ergo you're traveling on three days. You have to complete your journey on the same day it started.
Reply 392
Original post by Tom_Sg
Hi guyz,

Your journey on the 10th will be £55 at cheapest.

Where in London do you want to go?

Your return journey you can get from Southampton Central to London Victoria for £27 if you get the 07:06 service, £36.50 if not.

London to Cantebury is then £27.80.

These will be cheaper with a railcard and could have been cheaper with more notice as your cheapest tickets on the return journeys were sold out.
Reply 393
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RM2010
Hi,

I have an interview at AAP (ACCOUNTING ACADEMY PARTNERSHIP) at milton keynes. Does anyone know what is the best way (in price and time) to get there from High Wycombe??

Thanks in advance :smile:

Unfortunately no direct train as they're on different main lines. Best option would probably be bus to Watford/Hemel Hempstead and then the train. Or a bus the whole way.
Reply 395
Original post by rockrunride
Unfortunately no direct train as they're on different main lines. Best option would probably be bus to Watford/Hemel Hempstead and then the train. Or a bus the whole way.

what about the bus?. because there is a bus that goes to Milton Keynes University and that close to it?
Reply 396
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 397
Original post by Rakas21
Your journey on the 10th will be £55 at cheapest.

Where in London do you want to go?

Your return journey you can get from Southampton Central to London Victoria for £27 if you get the 07:06 service, £36.50 if not.

London to Cantebury is then £27.80.

These will be cheaper with a railcard and could have been cheaper with more notice as your cheapest tickets on the return journeys were sold out.

I got a 16-25 rail-cards so it will be £64.50 -> £45.15 ? :wink:

Is that alright ?
Reply 398
Original post by Tom_Sg
I got a 16-25 rail-cards so it will be £64.50 -> £45.15 ? :wink:

Is that alright ?

Where is the £64.50 coming from?
Reply 399
Original post by Rakas21
Where is the £64.50 coming from?

27.80+36.50 ? :s

Quick Reply