The Student Room Group

Student Finance In Regards to..

A Second Degree!

I have already gained a Degree (which was in Adult Nursing) - Which I completed in 2010. However, I would now like to progress and study Medicine as a Graduate.

I am just wondering what the funding is like?

I know that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years on the Graduate program - an NHS bursary is available (much like the one i received when I was a student nurse). I did receive financial help from SLC as a student nurse.

Since I currently work fulltime as an Intensive Care Nurse, I earn more than £20,000 a year - So I am currently paying them each month.

Any advice?:smile:

Thanks!
Reply 1
You'd need to pay the fees yourself, but would be entitled to a maintenance loan only from SFE for the full duration.
Reply 2
Original post by Taiko
You'd need to pay the fees yourself, but would be entitled to a maintenance loan only from SFE for the full duration.

No hang on - since medicine is a higher degree, doesn't he get a fee loan on the same terms as anyone else?
Reply 3
No, he doesn't.

ELQ has no effect. What disqualifies from fee support is the fact that someone has a previous honours degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Vinchenko
No hang on - since medicine is a higher degree, doesn't he get a fee loan on the same terms as anyone else?

And further clarification from the 11/12 Assessing Eligibility Guidance, issued by BIS.

158. The Student Support Regulations make an exception for students taking courses in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, architecture, social work and undergraduate Initial Teacher Training (ITT). Students will continue to be eligible for loans for living costs, even if they already hold an equivalent or higher level qualification. Please note that medicine, dentistry and veterinary science courses may be listed as level 7 on the QAA framework. The Framework does not form part of the Student Support Regulations and for the purpose of providing student support such qualifications should be treated as equivalent to an Honours degree. Therefore, students who already hold an Honours degree or the equivalent qualification and are studying these courses as a second undergraduate degree, will not be eligible for any further fee support or maintenance grant.
Reply 5
Original post by Taiko
No, he doesn't.

ELQ has no effect. What disqualifies from fee support is the fact that someone has a previous honours degree.

Ah, fine then, my mistake. Surely OP is still eligible for NHS bursary funding, though - if it isn't abolished by then?
Reply 6
Yeah, but not until 2nd year, and they already knew about that.
Reply 7
Oh lord! So I will have to find the fee's for the first year of medicine? Crikey!
Reply 8
You will get standard maintenance loan only in Year 1 (which can be means tested), then reduced rate maintenance loan in Years 2, 3 and 4 (non-means tested only).
Reply 9
Ah.. I see...I guess for funding I should be okay. I am starting to save too - providing I get into Medical School in 2012! Reduced rate will be fine as hopefully I'll receive the NHS bursary. Thanks for your help guys! :<.

But..

My previous degree was funded by the NHS and not by SLC (as i took a loan out for maintenence, not for fee's - would this affect it or would it still apply as i still have a 'degree'?

Thanks!
Reply 10
You still have a degree, and that's what counts.
Reply 11
Thanks Taiko <3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending