The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE UMS Converter

Hi guys,

I notice a lot of people have been asking about their overall UMS in Maths, so after half an hour of fiddling about on Excel, I proudly present the UMS CONVERTER. This thing should be fully functional, although there might me some bugs.

IF they're any problems, post on this thread or PM me :wink: All grade boundaries are from the June 2010 paper. All the grade boundaries since Jun 09 are listed on the sheet entitled 'GRADE BOUNDARY TABLE'.

Thanks,

CheeseLord
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CheeseLord
Hi guys,

I notice a lot of people have been asking about their overall UMS in Maths, so after half an hour of fiddling about on Excel, I proudly present the UMS CONVERTER. This thing should be fully functional, although there might me some bugs.

IF they're any problems, post on this thread or PM me :wink: All grade boundaries are from the June 2010 paper.

Thanks

CheeseLord

That doesnt make any sense i put mine in and i got an A an A* and another a and it says i have a mid B?!
Reply 2
ahhh, have you put in the upper and lower boundaries for each unit for your particular grade?? that should solve it.
Reply 3
I got an A on Unit 1, and a B on Unit 2, achieving a 50% grade of an A. I'm not sure on UMS or raw marks.
I think I have got 72-80/120 on Unit 3, will this mean I will get a B grade overall, which is all I need?
Reply 4
You should get a B overall :smile: well done, as 72-80 should be a b in unit 3

BTW, this image should emphasise - all grade boundaries can be found on edexcel's website - Cavzy - the image also show what you got, assuming you only scraped the grades you said :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5

You should get a B overall :smile: well done, as 72-80 should be a b in unit 3

Thanks :smile: Trying to use your UMS thingy, I've typed in my marks in the 3 pink boxes and it's automatically come up as A, B, B which is right. What other information do i need to do so that the overall UMS/Grade in the grey boxes gives me an answer?
Reply 6
[QUOTE=
Caitlin308]Thanks Trying to use your UMS thingy, I've typed in my marks in the 3 pink boxes and it's automatically come up as A, B, B which is right. What other information do i need to do so that the overall UMS/Grade in the grey boxes gives me an answer?

Caitlin308 - You just need to find the maximum/minimum boundaries of the grade you got, as indicated by the attached image in my previous post. Those boundaries will be found in the table to the left indicating grade boundaries for each unit. I would have liked this to be automatic, but can't figure out how to make it so...
Reply 7
Original post by cheeselord

Original post by cheeselord
you should get a b overall :smile: well done, as 72-80 should be a b in unit 3

btw, this image should emphasise - all grade boundaries can be found on edexcel's website - cavzy - the image also show what you got, assuming you only scraped the grades you said :wink:

thankyou :d
Reply 8
i'm a bit confused on how this works

if i got 67 for unit 1
53 and 60 for the second unit

and lets say i got 46 and 40 for the third unit, what grade is it?
Reply 9
Ah, rep for you, you found a bug :wink:

But I suppose since you know your UMS for unit 1 and 2, you can bypass that bug..

67 UMS Unit 1
113 UMS Unit 2
Probably 155 UMS for unit 3

=335 UMS & therefore a solid A
Reply 10
What does it mean by the lower and higher raw marks?
Reply 11
It means lowest highest marks you can get for a particular grade:
Say if I got an A in Unit 1, I'd input 25 for the lower raw mark, and 29 for the higher mark...

However, don't bother using that for now, just saw a major bug :wink:

Thanks for testing!!
I don't get how to use this :s-smilie: Did you say that there's a bug? So there's no point testing it out then?
Reply 13
Hi guys,

IF they're any problems, post on this thread or PM me :wink: All grade boundaries are from the June 2010 paper.

Thanks

CheeseLord

This is not accurate at all. You are assuming the SAME ums conversion for every paper and not taking into consideration the very point of why there is a standardised UMS grading system. For example in Unit 1, you say 29 raw gives 72 UMS, but in November 2009 it was 25 raw that gave 72 UMS. Nice try but its flawed, big time!
Reply 14
Dr Pwepper: There's no point testing the old version - I made some (well, major) tweaks that will hopefully solve the problem, if anybody would kindly try testing that I'd be extremely grateful :biggrin:

mrmanps
This is not accurate at all. You are assuming the SAME ums conversion for every paper and not taking into consideration the very point of why there is a standardised UMS grading system. For example in Unit 1, you say 29 raw gives 72 UMS, but in November 2009 it was 25 raw that gave 72 UMS. Nice try but its flawed, big time!

Thanks for your feedback. I agree, these grade boundaries will not be accurate most of the time, so I've changed all those fields to red since you'll need to manually input the grade boundaries of your exam season.

It is extremely difficult (perhaps impossible in Excel) to CALCULATE the grade boundaries automatically, because the boundaries as you say are based on the difficulty of the exam, and therefore change according to a unworkable factor. SO therefore, I can only assume that you've taken June 2010.

As a result, I've got another sheet in the spreadsheet file, where all the grade boundaries since Jun 09 are listed, and are directly taken from Edexcel's website.
Hey, can you help me please? I got a high A in unit 1, an A* in Unit 2 (half of this was 100%), overall a 54 average out of 60 for unit 3. I got 48/60 in the first and 60/60 in the second. Do you think I will get an A* overall? It's because I'm not sure of the grade boundaries and find it hard to interpret the document. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Aminaubah
Hey, can you help me please? I got a high A in unit 1, an A* in Unit 2 (half of this was 100%), overall a 54 average out of 60 for unit 3. I got 48/60 in the first and 60/60 in the second. Do you think I will get an A* overall? It's because I'm not sure of the grade boundaries and find it hard to interpret the document. Thanks. :smile:

All the grade boundaries are on the second sheet...what is it exactly that you find difficult to interpret??

From what you'd written I'd guess you'd get and A* - 108/120 is approximately 177 UMS for unit 3. But you need to have at least 183 UMS for Unit 1&2 to get an A* overall.

HOWEVER, results day may have lower/higher grade boundaries, so you want to be a few marks clear of the boundary t be safe :smile:
All the grade boundaries are on the second sheet...what is it exactly that you find difficult to interpret??

From what you'd written I'd guess you'd get and A* - 108/120 is approximately 177 UMS for unit 3. But you need to have at least 183 UMS for Unit 1&2 to get an A* overall.

HOWEVER, results day may have lower/higher grade boundaries, so you want to be a few marks clear of the boundary t be safe :smile:

Thanks, it's just that I don't know my marks for the first two units but yeah. Thanks.
Reply 18
Dr Pwepper: There's no point testing the old version - I made some (well, major) tweaks that will hopefully solve the problem, if anybody would kindly try testing that I'd be extremely grateful :biggrin:

Thanks for your feedback. I agree, these grade boundaries will not be accurate most of the time, so I've changed all those fields to red since you'll need to manually input the grade boundaries of your exam season.

It is extremely difficult (perhaps impossible in Excel) to CALCULATE the grade boundaries automatically, because the boundaries as you say are based on the difficulty of the exam, and therefore change according to a unworkable factor. SO therefore, I can only assume that you've taken June 2010.

As a result, I've got another sheet in the spreadsheet file, where all the grade boundaries since Jun 09 are listed, and are directly taken from Edexcel's website.

But you will still have problems. For example, in November 09, it says for unit 1 25 raw gave 72 UMS, how do you know what 26 raw gave? Its not a linear conversion between the boundaries. You don't know that 28 raw didnt give full UMS at 80. Its great what you've done and its a nice effort but you may be giving people misleading hope which is not good
Reply 19
This is giving me the wrong grade for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending