The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sparkii--xx
general studies tests your ability to adapt knowledge on religion, society, culutre and science. often ask you to write essays or multi-chocie at AS. All essays at A2. will test your interpretation of data at AS.

general studies is useful as most universities look at it if you miss your grades or have points offers. usually the people talking about it, having done it and listen to rumours themselves.

the course is useful and most employers do not ask what your a levels are in so 4A's is better than 3A's.

Oh ok, thanks! :smile:
Biology, Chemistry, Maths , History
Maths, Further maths, Additional further maths, Physics, Chemistry. Finished self teaching C4 yesterday; rather easy, to be honest. :biggrin:
english literature, politics, french and history :smile:
Want to do: Maths, Further maths, Additional further maths (if I'm good enough) and physics.
Maths, Physics, Applied ICT and biology
Reply 586
Original post by rawrr_charlotte
Oh ok, thanks! :smile:

erm just wondering are you taking general studies as one of your choices... cuz if you are i would say dont! its not even counted by most unis as an a level.
Original post by ElMoro
Do you mean "Computing" because there is no A-level "Computer Science" as far as I know...? :eyeball: :smile:

It does exist, i'm taking it. But the sixth form that I go to offers alot of subjects (more than most), so that's why mine proabably offers it.

The computer A-Levels at my sixth form;

Applied ICT
BTEC Computing
Computer Science

Here is a page out of the prospectus of the courses;
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 588
Original post by Sagacious
It does exist, i'm taking it. But the sixth form that I go to offers alot of subjects (more than most), so that's why mine proabably offers it.

The computer A-Levels at my sixth form;

Applied ICT
BTEC Computing
Computer Science

Here is a page out of the prospectus of the courses;

Do you know what exam board it is offered by? It's not on the qualifications directory... :dontknow:
Original post by ElMoro
Do you know what exam board it is offered by? It's not on the qualifications directory... :dontknow:

I'm fairly sure it's AQA.
Original post by drewb

Original post by drewb
Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths.

:five: Same :biggrin:

Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths
Original post by RaHiNa
erm just wondering are you taking general studies as one of your choices... cuz if you are i would say dont! its not even counted by most unis as an a level.

No i'm not taking it as a choice, it's compulsory where i want to go :frown:
Reply 592
No i'm not taking it as a choice, it's compulsory where i want to go :frown:

oh ok. does that mean if you want to take 4 a levels GS has to be included or in addition to the amount you wanna take?
Reply 593
Original post by aileen.a
english literature, politics, french, russian and german

no
Reply 594
french, history, english lit, economics, maths, general studies.
I keep changing my mind, but I'm thinking of taking English Lit, German, Maths and Computing.
Not sure whether to do regular Maths or Maths Statistics, as they're two separate subjects at my school. I think Stats is supposed to be a bit easier, and I enjoyed doing GCSE Stats more than GCSE Maths, so maybe that would be the better option? I only got a B in GCSE Maths so some sources say I shouldn't be doing A level Maths at all :/ Any advice?
Original post by RaHiNa
oh ok. does that mean if you want to take 4 a levels GS has to be included or in addition to the amount you wanna take?

in addition so it makes 5 a levels altogether
What do you guys think of my subject choice : Mathematics,Chemistry,Economics & Phycology. Do you think it sets me up well to studying finance/Economics at university?
Reply 598
in addition so it makes 5 a levels altogether

ok. thats seems alright then.
Reply 599
Original post by ElMoro
:five:

What board are you guys with? I'm AQA :biggrin:

AQA :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest