Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    chemistry,economics,maths,biolog y
    Good choices
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geography, Physics (AS only).

Can't wait to look at my timetable and be looking forward to every lesson, not detesting half of them!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan_U1)
    Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Geography

4 Hard subjects :s not sure I've made the right choice.
    Same as me! How i think of it, Chemisty, Maths and Physics will all benefit each other. It just takes time to learn the various calculation and equations.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Psychology, English and Business studies.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Spanish and Government and Politics.
    Unsure on Spanish, might either do RS or Biology instead
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktommo)
    Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Accounting
    I don't to be cycnical, but universities normally won't accept a levels that are too similar, especially economics and accounting/business studies. I had this problem when choosing, and my head told me to only do economics as having two very similiar subjects suggest to unis that you want an easy set of A levels
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Physics, Maths

Then...

2 out of Chemistry, French and Spanish.

If I want to do Astrophysics at uni should I do Chemistry?
    I don't enjoy it as much as French and Spanish that's for sure, so not sure what to do...

Deciding which ones to do has almost been the death of me! :unsure:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 6 subjects in sixth form and just can't wait!!

PSYCHOLOGY
    BIOLOGY
    CHEMISTRY
    ENGLISH LIT
    JAPANESE
    MATHS

GCSEs, get out of my way please.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    Same as me! How i think of it, Chemisty, Maths and Physics will all benefit each other. It just takes time to learn the various calculation and equations.
    I had the same thought of it too. And plus if you realise they are too hard you can always drop one anyways.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink pineapple)
    I second this - I do French, it's alot of work but I've found it massively rewarding
    My main concern for french was the work load but I do prefer it to maths. Plus it seems that you both have found it helpful so I guess I should probably take it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraswiftlove)
    I'd do French - it's always good to have a foreign language!
    Although I really enjoy french, many people have been telling me that universities would prefer a maths a level- do you think this is true or is a foreign language just as worthy?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know that this forum is for people choosing A-Levels, however I felt obliged to comment as someone who is currently studying at AS Level. I can't help but notice that many of you want to take up 5, 6, even 7 AS's. As a student who attained 13A*s last year and placed Top in Northern Ireland at Double Award Science, even I struggle to cope with the demands of 4 AS's in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths. You are very naive to believe you could juggle so many subjects. I think the problem is, is that you underestimate the level of work required in an AS. Honestly, GCSE's are the easiest things you could ever do, A-Level, is a completely different ball game! The depth that you study into is unbelievable, I couldn't even compare GCSE Biology to AS.

I just wanted to warn you, that unless you want to do nothing else but study, there is no real advantage to doing so many A-Levels. Universities prefer all 3/4 strong subjects compared to 5/6/7 average results. Stick to what you're good at and play to your strengths!
    • 214 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BMG123)
    I know that this forum is for people choosing A-Levels, however I felt obliged to comment as someone who is currently studying at AS Level. I can't help but notice that many of you want to take up 5, 6, even 7 AS's. As a student who attained 13A*s last year and placed Top in Northern Ireland at Double Award Science, even I struggle to cope with the demands of 4 AS's in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths. You are very naive to believe you could juggle so many subjects. I think the problem is, is that you underestimate the level of work required in an AS. Honestly, GCSE's are the easiest things you could ever do, A-Level, is a completely different ball game! The depth that you study into is unbelievable, I couldn't even compare GCSE Biology to AS.

I just wanted to warn you, that unless you want to do nothing else but study, there is no real advantage to doing so many A-Levels. Universities prefer all 3/4 strong subjects compared to 5/6/7 average results. Stick to what you're good at and play to your strengths!
    Anything I'm doing extra is early, at A Level I plan (in school time) to do is Maths A2, Further Maths AS, Chemistry A Level, Physics A Level and French A Level and then we're forced to do Welsh Baccalaureate -.-
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellenabethx)
    I don't to be cycnical, but universities normally won't accept a levels that are too similar, especially economics and accounting/business studies. I had this problem when choosing, and my head told me to only do economics as having two very similiar subjects suggest to unis that you want an easy set of A levels
    ahh, okay thanks for letting me know.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hmm,

Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Art (+ Physics because the silly 6thform put me in for 5 instead, i don't mind though aha)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

Im an AS student too, and i couldnt have worded that better myself!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen based on what I'm good at and what will be useful for studying English at Uni.

English Literature
    History
    Biology
    English Language
    Art
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    English Lit, German, Chemistry, Maths
    (seriously reconsidering maths hahaha I'm seriously screwed for my exam on Monday, predicted A or A* but apparently an A is not enough for next year, oops)
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voodoo_child)
    English Lit, German, Chemistry, Maths
    (seriously reconsidering maths hahaha I'm seriously screwed for my exam on Monday, predicted A or A* but apparently an A is not enough for next year, oops)
    lol u mad? a B is the requirment for most colleges and sixth forms.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

Im in AS aswell and this is soooo true. Listen to her year 11's otherwise you will be swamped by 5 AS levels when really you only need 3/4

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 24, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.