The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy- difference?

I'm going to be applying for an undergraduate degree in OT for 2012 and have made start on my UCAS recently. But one thing I've came across is that there are 2 different codes for the courses- one being B920 and the other B930.
When I looked up the difference on google the only thing I could find is something saying that one is Occupational Therapy and one is Occupational Health. However, all of the unis are still calling it "Occupational Therapy".

I'm so confused, is there a noteworthy difference between the courses? As far as I was aware there was just the one course. Does it make a difference which you take?
Original post by Grund
I'm going to be applying for an undergraduate degree in OT for 2012 and have made start on my UCAS recently. But one thing I've came across is that there are 2 different codes for the courses- one being B920 and the other B930.
When I looked up the difference on google the only thing I could find is something saying that one is Occupational Therapy and one is Occupational Health. However, all of the unis are still calling it "Occupational Therapy".

I'm so confused, is there a noteworthy difference between the courses? As far as I was aware there was just the one course. Does it make a difference which you take?

The codes are probably synonymous, but vary by institution.
Reply 2
it doesn't really make any difference, i thought the same when i applied so i emailed around and they're both occupational therapy. im currently doing a B930 at YSJ
Original post by Grund
As far as I was aware there was just the one course. Does it make a difference which you take?

Occupational Health is completely different profession from Occupational Therapy so I would check it out with the uni and don't make any assumptions. Occupational Health (aka OH) definition from Here:

Occupational health is about the effect of work on health, and the effect of health on work. It plays a vital role in helping employers care for and understand the needs of their employees, enabling businesses to reduce sickness absence levels and optimise staff performance and productivity.

Occupational health is a vital component of HR policy, enabling employers to understand and comply with Health and Safety legislation and to ensure workplace risks are effectively managed. Other areas in which occupational health advice can assist organisations include rehabilitation and medical intervention programmes, disability adjustments, ill-health retirement issues and the management of existing work-related health problems.

Basically in the workplace you are sent to OH after a trigger is reached like you've been off sick to much, off sick but mention stress and other instances. The job of the OH is to check you are fit for work and also to ensure the reason for your illness isn't connected to work (especially stress). Where I used to work the OH was from Bupa and usually came in once a week for appointments.

Maybe it is a mix-up on the uni's part, however I would double check first as it is indeed a totally different profession.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest