The Student Room Group

RAF Medic- Extra help needed

Can any RAF Medics point me in the right direction of what to expect over the 9 years minimum service in the RAF? In regards to what I can achieve, where i'll be posted & the different types of taskings you had been sent to. Other forums, blogs or diaries would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks for your help!

Nath :smile:
Reply 1
Pretty sure we haven't got any RAF Medics as regular users of this site, so any info you get would be anecdotal at best.

Go to your AFCO, ask if a base visit is possible [might not be until you're in the system] and try e-goat and facebook.
Reply 2
Can you be a bit clearer about whether you are talking about RAF Medical Officers - ie doctors or RAF Medical Assistants.

There are clearly two very different answers.
Reply 3
RAF Medic- Airman is what i've applied for, being a non-officer i know i'll be doing a hell of alot of Admin throughout my first few years. I hope to build up to a well established career (as every one does im sure) to be part of the aeromedical teams.

Im going to contact my AFCO to see if i can arrange a base visit!

Will hit the other places up with my question. many thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lofty90
RAF Medic- Airman is what i've applied for, being a non-officer i know i'll be doing a hell of alot of Admin throughout my first few years. I hope to build up to a well established career (as every one does im sure) to be part of the aeromedical teams.

Im going to contact my AFCO to see if i can arrange a base visit!

Will hit the other places up with my question. many thanks :smile:

What do you base that on, exactly?

Because it's definitely not true.
Reply 5
I just assumed, as on the careers sight it says some posts will include mainly admin. but granted not all. Im glad its not true, infact relieved :smile: im just looking forward to a great challenge! :biggrin:
On the RAF Medic blue sheet they give you when you first apply it does say the first 3 years are admin in a medical centre on a base to gain confidence and knowledge :smile: Then you have opportunity to build it all up. I also want to be in the aeromedical team eventually! My interview is on Friday! Good luck with everything - I hope you do well :smile:
Reply 7
Lofty, I can only offer you a limited observation of the branch based on my exposure to some young RAF medics for 6 monthly ECG s. From that VERY limited knowledge base, and because I take the time to talk to them about THEIR careers, I've picked up that yes, you would be spending a lot of time in the early part of your career doing Med Admin (necessary but potentially a bit tedious?) on a UK base, and carrying out minor medical tasks such as Annual Medical pre-lims and the aforementioned ECGs. I've spoken to young kids fresh out of training who thought that this was the bees knees and slightly older kids with about 2-3 years of this low level workload who were bored rigid. The majority I spoke to wanted to make full use of their training in theatre (ie the Stan) doing 'proper' medical procedures. That is fully understandable for a medic, I'm guessing - bit like aircrew just wanting to fly!

What you need to do Lofty is sort out in your own mind what you want to do with your medical training and whether a full career in the military will meet those aspirations. If you'd be happy with the day to day base routine outlined above, then crack on and go for it, if you've got higher ambitions and want to make a real difference with battlefield casualties then just bear in mind that we (UK) will effectively be out of Afg by 2015 and probably well before if the US and A pull their troops out sooner. You may not be in time to deploy if you're not already in.

BTW I think the medical teams out in Afg are among the real heroes of that sorry campaign, making life and death decisions on a daily basis. Respect dudes! :smile: I couldn't do it, I'd be curled up in the corner with a green complexion, no use to man nor beast!
Reply 8
Original post by Lofty90
I just assumed, as on the careers sight it says some posts will include mainly admin. but granted not all. Im glad its not true, infact relieved :smile: im just looking forward to a great challenge! :biggrin:

You will be doing admin, but definitely not notably more than officers or more because you're not an officer.

Quick Reply

Latest