The Student Room Group

1 month vs 2 months internship

I just finished my first year and am doing an internship at the research dept. of an international NGO. My current contract ends end of June, which will make the internship one month long, but chances are I could extend it till end of July. However, I also want to go back home (not stay in London after June) because of personal reasons. I just wanted to know that, as far as getting second year internships is concerned, how much difference will it make if I do it for one month rather than two months. If the difference is huge, I might re-consider.

I am considering applying to actuarial firms and IBs for 2nd year internships, and perhaps also some research firms.

Your answer will be appreciated thanks!
Reply 1
You need to weigh up the benefits of staying against the costs. Think quality over quantity. For the purpose of interviews there's no real difference between a month and 2 months if you're doing the same thing in both cases. I would stay for another month but only if you imagine they'll give you more responsibility, or if you think there's more you could learn, or you'll be doing something that'll add to your experience and give you more to talk about.

Consider if there are any opportunities that might crop up in the next month and are they worth staying for? For example, are there any projects the NGO is planning to undertake. Whether you stay for one month or two, you should make sure you're there for long enough to talk about your experience and explain what you did and contributed in detail.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending