The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants 2012 intake

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
yea cardiff is suposed to be very competitive :redface: but I'm a competitive person :P ah no i'm not really i'm just really trying to work my ass of for the first time in my life. :smile: better get cracking on this personal statement, i heard that most colleges really select you from that alone!! :smile:
good luck all :smile:
im sure il be back to this thread soon enough again askin for more advice!! :smile:
Really hope ye all get what ye want :smile: :smile:
x
Reply 181
The offer of a non means tested bursary of about £6,700 to do the degree at Cardiff makes a difference. I get less than that for studying in England and about 1/3rd of that I will have to pay back as it's a loan.
Reply 182
For anyone applying for nursing at Southampton, some hints from last year's application cycle. You are required to wear smart professional dress.

As a child nurse applicant, we had reading to do prior to interview: Dept of Health "Healthy lives, brighter futures". https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/285374a.pdf

We had to be there for lunchtime (get there early and eat before you go in), we undertook a group discussion and took maths and english tests. All very laid back and friendly. Oh, I also had to take a passport photo which they attached to their notes for recognition. Whole thing only took a couple or so hours.

Anyone wants to know about Manchester, Nottingham, Brighton or Canterbury, just shout. :smile:

Good luck to you all!
Reply 183
Original post by Skip_Snip
Hmm thanks for that, I'll bear it in mind, while mixing with other UG's isn't exactly a main priority it would still be nice, and better to have lectures on campus, are Nursing students at Notts left out of societies too?!

Youre a student so you can join any of the societies. It's just that the whole day is spent the otherside of the dual carriageway so we wouldn't go onto the main campus unless at night. They advise going self catered which also limits the halls that you can apply for and can make travelling from the far end of campus, a pain.
Reply 184
Original post by glf2110
For anyone applying for nursing at Southampton, some hints from last year's application cycle. You are required to wear smart professional dress.

As a child nurse applicant, we had reading to do prior to interview: Dept of Health "Healthy lives, brighter futures". https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/285374a.pdf

We had to be there for lunchtime (get there early and eat before you go in), we undertook a group discussion and took maths and english tests. All very laid back and friendly. Oh, I also had to take a passport photo which they attached to their notes for recognition. Whole thing only took a couple or so hours.

Anyone wants to know about Manchester, Nottingham, Brighton or Canterbury, just shout. :smile:

Good luck to you all!

So for interview you dress formally? I would almost definitely always dress formally for any interview :smile:

You mentioned you had reading prior to the interview. Did they ask you any questions about the passages/documents you read? Or was it just to make you aware?

Were the maths/english tests difficult?

Thank you for the advice :smile:
Do you have any info on manchester as I'm also applying for there. :smile:

Thanks for the info...

Original post by glf2110

Good luck to you all!
Went to Surrey open day for Nursing yesterday it was great! Now wanna go there over York! Sooo good.
Reply 187
Hello,
I thought I would join in I am applying for Adult at :

Plymouth
Birmingham
UWE
Cardiff
Manchester

Last year my college taught my the wrong health and social care course so ended up with a D :angry: so I hope this does not harper my chances of getting it. I do AS human biology, A2 health and social, media and communication and culture. :rolleyes:

LJ :smile:
Does anyone know how large the geographical radius is for adult nursing placements from northumbria, york, birmingham and cumbria?

I know Surrey is 35 miles and you could be on placement in Slough or Portsmouth :O
Reply 189
Original post by KingGoonIan
Went to Surrey open day for Nursing yesterday it was great! Now wanna go there over York! Sooo good.

I LOVE the university! It is so nice! I was born in Surrey and I have family down there so it is definitely a good choice for me.

I'm still undecided between Surrey or Southampton (if I even get an offer) as Surrey is lush but Southampton has the better course..

Best hold this thought until later in the application cycle lol
Reply 190
Original post by glf2110

Good luck to you all!

Hiya, were the maths and english tests difficult (I have C's in most of my gcse's and havent done maths for years!!!) Im applying for Adult nursing, but im guessing the interviewing process/tests will be similar xxx
Original post by KingGoonIan
Does anyone know how large the geographical radius is for adult nursing placements from northumbria, york, birmingham and cumbria?

I know Surrey is 35 miles and you could be on placement in Slough or Portsmouth :O

York's is massive - think Leeds to Whitby! Looked well worth it though, loved the open day, uni etc, although it wasn't the right course for me. They did say they consider where students are based when allocating placements. They stressed they only send you where it is practical for you to go. I think you'd only go to Whitby if you wanted to etc... It wasn't that scary at all.

No idea about the others, although I would assume Birmingham's is smaller due to the concentration of services within the city.
Reply 192
Original post by haych.x
Hiya, were the maths and english tests difficult (I have C's in most of my gcse's and havent done maths for years!!!) Im applying for Adult nursing, but im guessing the interviewing process/tests will be similar xxx

Are you applying for Surrey also?
Reply 193

My application got sent off last week, urgh already getting nervous, lol. I'm fairly confident in my personal statment, I had one of my subject tutors look over it, she's a bank nurse and said it was fab so that's okay. My personal tutor obviously kept a close eye on it and she's an ex-carer and a h&sc tutor. It's just the grade requirements which are going to freak me out I think. I do the National Diploma level 3 (OCR) in health, social care and early years (emphasis on the care side) as well as psychology a level and english language a level. I got c's last year so should be predicted b's at a level, as well as my Dist for my ND3.

I finally settled on (in order of preference);
Leeds
Northumbria
Nottingham
Birmingham
Uclan

I don't know why but I just thought they were a nice rounded selection, typical offers wise. Hoping to Adult and would literally give my left foot for a place at Leeds, lol.
Reply 194
Original post by arsenicandoldlace
Do you know where you are planning on applying to and for what branch of nursing?

Please don't get yourself worried about this! Just because your grades are predicted at that it doesn't mean that's what you'll get, you've got plenty of time to stick your head down and get on with your studying :smile: you could end up with AAA or CCC; they'll be what you make of them lovey so just do your best and make sure your personal statement does you great justice!

If all else fails there is always clearing :smile: but have a look into the uni's you're interested in and maybe give their admissions department a ring and see how strict they are on entry requirements. Some universities will accept your AS level or General Studies to make up the points so it's well worth enquiring...

Hi i go on a friends account he let's me use it so just seen this now :smile: thanks a lot for your advice im planning on going into adult nursing so far my choices are keele,sheffield,UCLAN maybe leeds and got another one to decide on im halfway through may personal statement gosh never thought it would be this hard to talk about myself :biggrin: but i'll give them uni's a ring and see what they say
Hi, I am new to this so hopefully i have done it right. Can anyone tell me if you are supposed to put lines between paragraphs on your personal statement?
Reply 196
Original post by Nymphadorable
It all depends on where you're planning on applying to, CCC is enough for some universities, others require higher. Your best bet is to look at where you'd like to go and see what their entry requirement is. There are certainly options available to you with CCC, so try not to despair too much.

That said, grades are only half of the battle. Having a strong personal statement, a good insight into what the role requires and a real enthusiasm for the subject are also important when it comes to selecting the right candidates. So even if you had a shortfall of say one grade; you might still be able to gain a place based on other factors.

But to give you a rough idea the following all accept CCC for entry:

ARU
Bangor
Beds
Bradford
Bucks New
Canterbury Christ Church.
UCLAN
Chester
Coventry

Obviously there's more than that, but it's 5am, and trawling through UCAS is not doing wonders for my insomnia!

:biggrin: thanks for the advice... i went to sheffield open evening jheez lets just say the women at the desk wasn't much help "i hope you know what your getting yourself into if your applying for nursing " LOL!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 197
Hey, I'm applying to do nursing too :-) I want to do adult nursing, and really hope I will get in (don't we all? :biggrin:) Applying to :

King's College

UEA

Northampton

Kingston

Bedfordshire

I want to apply this week, just need to finish off my personal statement :rolleyes:
Reply 198
Original post by ellaharley
Hi, I am new to this so hopefully i have done it right. Can anyone tell me if you are supposed to put lines between paragraphs on your personal statement?

Hello :smile:

It isn't essential. If possible it is good practice to as it makes it easier for the admissions team to read, makes it look more organised and not so cluttered.

I, however, ran out of space so didn't manage to put spaces in mine apart from the last sentence which I wanted to stand out.

Don't fret if you can't put spaces in though :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by haych.x

Really don't worry about the tests, they are easy. Some unis give examples on their webpages e.g. KCL http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nursing/study/applicants/preregistration/selectiondays/tests.aspx

Thought a couple of mine were a little more difficult but I don't think they expect you to get 100%.

The Adult Nursing applicants had another piece of reading, but what we were given really just enabled us to discuss things in some related areas in the group discussion. I found the BBC news/health website really useful too.

I actually really enjoyed the process, thought I would hate it as I hate speaking in public but everyone is nervous and the admissions tutors certainly take that into consideration.

So, so pleased I'm at Southampton, it was always my first choice and is proving a good decision.

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending