The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants 2012 intake

Scroll to see replies

I have firmed the uni of manchester and now im looking at accommodation. can anyone at all tell me if i need 40 week or 51 week halls?
also is manchester like other unis that have all the nurses in the same halls?
thanks !
Original post by FionaMcCauley
I have firmed the uni of manchester and now im looking at accommodation. can anyone at all tell me if i need 40 week or 51 week halls?
thanks !

51 weeks, love. Nursing courses run on a timetable that's longer than a regular student, and the last thing you want is to be told to move out when you're in the middle of a placement block! As far as I'm aware, I think Manchester has a fairly mixed hall allocation, although I know MMU used to group healthcare students together for the sake of shift working, so Manchester could well be the same. Even if you did end up with other non-nursing students, it's not the end of the world. Just explain when you first move in about shift patterns and what not and you should be fine. :smile:
Original post by ClaraCluck
I've got an interview at Nottingham for child nursing. Has anyone had an offer from them yet and can you let me know what the conditions are, thanks xx

Is that for the MNursSci or the BSc (Hons)?

The nursing interviews at Nottingham are fairly straight forward, because they're not actually interviews! It's more like a visit day, where you have talks, a little tour, your lunch in one of the halls, a group Q&A and then you write a small statement about why you want to be on the course and why Notts in particular.

For the BSc most of the offers tend to be as listed in the prospectus or higher, which is BBB as the benchmark for Paeds nursing since it's so competitive, along with 5 GCSE's at A-C including English, Maths and Science. You also need to meet the CRB criteria and pass Occupational Health.

In terms of the MNursSci, you need to pass with ABB or above, and the GCSE's are the same. In this case though, one of your passes at A-level needs to be in a Science (Maths, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Psychology). And again, the same CRB and OH rules.

That's assuming you're a school leaver though, if you're a mature student the scope of acceptable qualifications is too numerous to list, things such as 120 OU credits, BTEC, Access, etc are all viable and offers are made in terms of these.
Original post by FionaMcCauley
thanks !

I personally would go for 40 weeks. This way you'll be moving into private accommodation with everyone else and get the best choice of accommodation in year 2. Most private contracts will all be starting on 1st July. You'll miss this if you go for 51 weeks.
Got a rejection from Bournemouth this morning, I'm not bothered because I really didn't like it down there and I was fed up with admissions because I felt slightly mucked around by them. I've got 3 conditional offers at Plymouth, Cardiff and Birmingham City which I'm chugged to bits with!
Reply 2965
Original post by emmacymru
I was the exact same don't worry! So annoyed. Waiting on Swansea too.. What branch have you applied for? X

Hi Emma......sorry only now seeing your reply. Iv'e applied for adult nursing. What about you? X
Reply 2966
Anyone been given the march 2013 intake for Northumbria university? Xxx
Original post by sclerky
Anyone been given the march 2013 intake for Northumbria university? Xxx

MEEE!! :biggrin: i have! :smile: for children's nursing!! have you? xxx
Reply 2968
Original post by misslarmour
MEEE!! :biggrin: i have! :smile: for children's nursing!! have you? xxx

Ah I've found someone else! :smile: yeah I'm doing adult nursing though, have you spoke to them about accommodation? Xxx
Reply 2969
Original post by clareeyy
ooh yay!! Is Nottingham your first choice?

:smile: i'm not sure yet I haven't decided but it's defo in my top 2 wbu? tbh I don't really think I'll get an offer because I don't like the sound of been there for 6hours! dreading the group interview as well :/ x
Original post by Ali_Bop
Hi Emma......sorry only now seeing your reply. Iv'e applied for adult nursing. What about you? X

That's fine :smile: aw I applied for mental health.. Have you heard from Swansea yet? x
Reply 2971
I have put Swansea twice on my UCAS, one is the Carmarthen campus and the other is Swansea main campus. I have an interview for carmarthen campus but Swansea campus hasn't got back in touch at all. Are they one uni just different sites?

If so shall I delete Swansea main campus from ucas because if they won't be getting in touch I won't be able to firm/insure my choices.
Reply 2972
Anyone been given an offer for Oxford Brookes Jan 2013?
Reply 2973
i've got 3 offers but only deciding between nottingham and northampton, for mental nursing
Original post by sclerky
Ah I've found someone else! :smile: yeah I'm doing adult nursing though, have you spoke to them about accommodation? Xxx

Aww, when did you find out you got a place? :smile: I've read up about it on their website and the march intake cannot apply for accommodation until January time :/ Have you firmed it as your first choice? xxx
Reply 2975
Original post by marilyn009
Hey, i got an offer at Notts for adult nursing :biggrin:

Oh cool, for the bsc? i got a rejection from that one but an offer for the masters! strange! x
Reply 2976
Original post by misslarmour
Aww, when did you find out you got a place? :smile: I've read up about it on their website and the march intake cannot apply for accommodation until January time :/ Have you firmed it as your first choice? xxx

I found out on the 15th march you? Aww yeah that's annoying isnt it, I really want accommodation in the city! Nope not yet haha I'm scared too because then its like final, have you? Xxx
Has anybody firmed uni of leeds for adult nursing? :smile:
xx
Original post by sclerky
I found out on the 15th march you? Aww yeah that's annoying isnt it, I really want accommodation in the city! Nope not yet haha I'm scared too because then its like final, have you? Xxx

I got mine on the 14th March! lol :smile: I want accommodation that is gonna be easy access to city centre but also to the uni (wishful thinking!) haha :smile: I've not firmed any yet either, waiting to hear from Edge Hill, then i'm going to decide. Where else have you applied? oh and have you got facebook- will be easier to communicate on there :biggrin: xxx
Reply 2979
Ooh right :smile: well there's a shuttle bus that goes from the city to coach lane campus so its easy access to both, I don't think coach lane campus accommodation is that nice really. I applied to, york, leeds met, manchester met and teesside but only got in to manchester met, teesside and northubria. What about you? Yeahh I do, search siobhan clerk xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending