The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Additional Science B6C6P6 Post-exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sokka
Yep, it was one question. It simply asked you to draw ONE reflection line with perpendicular lines on it (like the incidence line) but more spread out, however, some people in my year drew THREE lines on that on picture.
What did you draw? o.O

Did the three lines (on the reflected line) have to be more spread out? I didn't know that :frown:
Original post by Sokka
Yep, it was one question. It simply asked you to draw ONE reflection line with perpendicular lines on it (like the incidence line) but more spread out, however, some people in my year drew THREE lines on that on picture.
What did you draw? o.O

Oh lol I get it now. I drew one line but since I didn't have a ruler, it wasn't really neat. But I tried to draw it just like the wave before being reflected, but obviously in the right direction...like same angle and all. I didn't do perpendicular lines at all o_o And I did ---|---|---|--- like the line was. :smile: What about you?
Reply 22
Original post by Script
Did the three lines (on the reflected line) have to be more spread out? I didn't know that :frown:

I'm pretty sure they did, well, 99% sure or so. I always go with my gut instinct because from experience, EVERY SINGLE TIME I change an answer I end up getting it wrong and regretting changing it :tongue:

QUOTE=InadequateJusticex;32376496]Oh lol I get it now. I drew one line but since I didn't have a ruler, it wasn't really neat. But I tried to draw it just like the wave before being reflected, but obviously in the right direction...like same angle and all. I didn't do perpendicular lines at all o_o And I did ---|---|---|--- like the line was. :smile: What about you?

They had to be more spread out. Anyway I did them spread out just incase - it can't hurt, even if they didn't have to be spread out then they would just assume I drew 3 lines and give me the mark anyway.
What other question were there, I forgot like half the paper now... I think I dropped a MAX of about 7 marks but I doubt it - with dropping 7 marks, I'm counting that I got ZERO on the one that you spoke about earlier (purification) but I'm sure I got atleast 2, I explained the first 2 points and slightly the third one they wanted you to explain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sokka
I'm pretty sure they did, well, 99% sure or so. I always go with my gut instinct because from experience, EVERY SINGLE TIME I change an answer I end up getting it wrong and regretting changing it :tongue:

QUOTE=InadequateJusticex;32376496]Oh lol I get it now. I drew one line but since I didn't have a ruler, it wasn't really neat. But I tried to draw it just like the wave before being reflected, but obviously in the right direction...like same angle and all. I didn't do perpendicular lines at all o_o And I did ---|---|---|--- like the line was. :smile: What about you? They had to be more spread out. Anyway I did them spread out just incase - it can't hurt, even if they didn't have to be spread out then they would just assume I drew 3 lines and give me the mark anyway.
What other question were there, I forgot like half the paper now... I think I dropped a MAX of about 7 marks but I doubt it - with dropping 7 marks, I'm counting that I got ZERO on the one that you spoke about earlier (purification) but I'm sure I got atleast 2, I explained the first 2 points and slightly the third one they wanted you to explain.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be spread out. In the CGP revision guide, page 84, it says 'when a wave crosses a boundary between two substances, it changes speed', shown with the waves being spread out or closer together. However, that only applies to refraction. Reflection on the other hand, looking at the picture on the same page, is different. The waves do not need to be spread out at all, but rather the same format before the wave hits the boundary.
Reply 24
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be spread out. In the CGP revision guide, page 84, it says 'when a wave crosses a boundary between two substances, it changes speed', shown with the waves being spread out or closer together. However, that only applies to refraction. Reflection on the other hand, looking at the picture on the same page, is different. The waves do not need to be spread out at all, but rather the same format before the wave hits the boundary.

Looking at that page I'm starting to think I got it wrong now :redface: I'm glad it was only 1 mark though. I thought it was a nice exam overall anyway :smile: The only thing I hated was the chemistry section - most people in my class got the questions afterwards, but in the exam I had to stop and think for some of them lol. btw what did you put for the state symbols? Did you include any (aq)'s? Also, the one about Water --> Hydrogen + Oxygen, how did you balance it?

I put:
2(H2O) ---> 4H + O2
I think I may have got the wrong drift on that question, someone please confirm if it's right/wrong, thanks :]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Sokka
What did you draw? o.O

why did they have to be more spread out?? it's not refraction, it's just reflection...
Reply 26
Original post by Sokka
Looking at that page I'm starting to think I got it wrong now :redface: I'm glad it was only 1 mark though. I thought it was a nice exam overall anyway :smile: The only thing I hated was the chemistry section - most people in my class got the questions afterwards, but in the exam I had to stop and think for some of them lol. btw what did you put for the state symbols? Did you include any (aq)'s? Also, the one about Water --> Hydrogen + Oxygen, how did you balance it?

I put:
2(H2O) ---> 4H + O2
I think I may have got the wrong drift on that question, someone please confirm if it's right/wrong, thanks :]

it was 2h2o--> 2h2 + o2
Reply 27
http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/images/waveobstacle-reflection.gif

I found that on Google, that's pretty much what I did :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by jump123
it was 2h2o--> 2h2 + o2

uh-ohh. is my one still right? I'm pretty sure I heard someone say the same one as me and many people didn't use "H2" but wrong 4H o.o
)
That's pretty annoying man, another 1 mark (or 2, how much was it worth?)

ty :h:
Reply 29
Original post by Script
http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/images/waveobstacle-reflection.gif

I found that on Google, that's pretty much what I did :smile:

yep, now I'm pretty sure I got it wrong. 1 mark, oh well. What if I drew the reflection line, the refraction line and the transmition line and then I drew 3 lines on all of them, would I get the mark? (I did this and then I crossed out the other 2 and left the reflection one which ahd spread out ones).
Original post by Sokka

I put:
2(H2O) ---> 4H + O2

I put 2H2O ---> 2H2 + O2. And yeah I thought it wasn't as bad as the past papers so thank God for that.

Original post by Sokka
uh-ohh. is my one still right? I'm pretty sure I heard someone say the same one as me and many people didn't use "H2" but wrong 4H o.o
)
That's pretty annoying man, another 1 mark (or 2, how much was it worth?)

ty :h:

Hydrogen atoms exist in pairs, hence the H2. But you should still get a mark at least, since you got the left hand side of the equation right :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Sokka
yep, now I'm pretty sure I got it wrong. 1 mark, oh well. What if I drew the reflection line, the refraction line and the transmition line and then I drew 3 lines on all of them, would I get the mark? (I did this and then I crossed out the other 2 and left the reflection one which ahd spread out ones).

Hmm I'm not sure.

What did everyone write for the state symbols?
Reply 32
As well, I accidently wrote the symbol equation and not the word equation for the Calcium one.
Dropped a mark there :frown:
Reply 33
Original post by Sokka

I put:
2(H2O) ---> 4H + O2

It Was Just

H2O = H+ + OH-

It woz the neutralisation equation - thank god i checked that H20 was at the beginning!
Woo i'd have lost 2 marks for a simple mistake :eek:

Majid :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Script
As well, I accidently wrote the symbol equation and not the word equation for the Calcium one.
Dropped a mark there :frown:

oh my god, EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN MY YEAR DID THAT. and then they changed it :cool: hydrochloric acid + calcium carbonate ---> calcium chloride + carbon dioxide + water

right? o_o

EDIT: what did everyone put for state symbols?
Reply 35
Original post by mkhan9035
It Was Just

H2O = H+ + OH-

It woz the neutralisation equation - thank god i checked that H20 was at the beginning!
Woo i'd have lost 2 marks for a simple mistake :eek:

omg you are soo right! Why didn't I think of it grrrr :angry: I learnt that equation, I forgot about the ions neutralisation!!! everyone, I think you may have got it wrong too, sorry.
Reply 36
What did everybody put for the question about the chemical transmitter?

I put E,D,C,A,B I Think :tongue:

Reply 37
Original post by Sokka
oh my god, EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN MY YEAR DID THAT. and then they changed it :cool: hydrochloric acid + calcium carbonate ---> calcium chloride + carbon dioxide + water

right? o_o

EDIT: what did everyone put for state symbols?

Yaay i did that!
Just guessed!

i think the state symobols wos

(l) , (g) (s) (aq)

i'd only remember if i had the equation :tongue:

Reply 38

I remember getting that one right. It was straightforward but I can't remember what I put, I was sure of it though.

What about state symbols? No one has said what they put yet lol :tongue:

Did you put any (aq)'s?
Reply 39

I think it began with D?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending