The Student Room Group

College or University Access Course

Hi I'm new and hoping to go to University Next Year as an "oldie"

I have been offered a place on an Access Course at a local college starting this year in Humanities.

The course is three and a half days per week (full time) and covers a number of subjects as part of the SWAP scheme here in Scotland.

My dilema is I also have the chance to do an access course at Glasgow or Edinburgh Universities (providing I get through the I/Views)- these are a both a different format and require attendance only two half or one whole day per week.
I assume they will involve more "out of classroom study"

Does anyone have any views on the relative merits of the two entry methods?

Financially the College Course provides grants, no council tax, help with housing costs, fees paid etc.

With the University courses the fee will be paid through SAAS but thats it !!

Financially in my circumstances the College route is more advantageous by a mile but I wonder whether the University Courses would amount to a "foot in the door"when it comes to University application.

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Butts2516
Hi I'm new and hoping to go to University Next Year as an "oldie"

I have been offered a place on an Access Course at a local college starting this year in Humanities.

The course is three and a half days per week (full time) and covers a number of subjects as part of the SWAP scheme here in Scotland.

My dilema is I also have the chance to do an access course at Glasgow or Edinburgh Universities (providing I get through the I/Views)- these are a both a different format and require attendance only two half or one whole day per week.
I assume they will involve more "out of classroom study"

Does anyone have any views on the relative merits of the two entry methods?

Financially the College Course provides grants, no council tax, help with housing costs, fees paid etc.

With the University courses the fee will be paid through SAAS but thats it !!

Financially in my circumstances the College route is more advantageous by a mile but I wonder whether the University Courses would amount to a "foot in the door"when it comes to University application.

Many thanks.

Since no one has answered this, I'll give it a go :biggrin:

Well, they are pretty much the same. However, if you intended on going to one of the Universities which offer the Access Course to study the degree there, they would tailor the Access Course a little more specifically to what they will be teaching in the degree, I'd imagine. Either way, both should be fine. Other than what I've said, it's just personal preference I'm assuming.

Hope this has helped.
Reply 2
Agree with above post. If you plan on going to either of the uni's then I would plump for their access course, it will stand you in good staid. It shouldn't make a difference but it just might!
Reply 3
Thanks for the input - as I mentioned the "College Access Course" looks likely to be more financially beneficial.

I will await details of funds on offer and then make a decision.

Luckily I will have this information before either course starts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending