The Student Room Group

Are A-Levels too easy??

Anyone else think A-Levels are far too easy?

They need to revert back to the old days when getting a c-d was good and an A was incredible.

Because currently everybody gets As and it is ridiculously easy to do so (with very little work whatsoever).

Thus it is soo hard for the universities to seek out the good candidates.

Scroll to see replies

everyone gets As??
where did you get this from?
last time i checked, im currently struggling in a levels..
Reply 2
Because currently everybody gets As and it is ridiculously easy to do so (with very little work whatsoever).

Not everyone gets As and it isn't easy to get As.
Reply 3
It isn't easy for everyone. Getting A/A* at A-Level is not the average.
Reply 4
I'd say that it is too easy to get an A in certain A-level subjects, and that the difference in difficulty between A-level subjects is too great, but I don't think it's too easy to get an A in Chemistry, Biology, English etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
In my opinion, some subjects such as mathematics can be easier to get the higher grades, particular because of the procedural style of the course.
Reply 6
I take 4 essay subjects and find it is ridiculously difficult to get As in them. There's no set answer either, you're marked purely on your own writing. No, it's not easier.
Original post by Zhy
It isn't easy for everyone. Getting A/A* at A-Level is not the average.

The national percentage is far far far too high - it is about 35% - it should be more like 5% - the top 20th percentile.
Reply 8
Original post by Sabster
Anyone else think A-Levels are far too easy?

They need to revert back to the old days when getting a c-d was good and an A was incredible.

Thus it is soo hard for the universities to seek out the good candidates.

Its just currently, more people then ever are doing a-levels, so obviously theres more A's and A*'S, plus now people know how to get the grades and work hard and schools have techniques to get students to do well
Reply 9
There are some A level subjects which are easier than other to get an A in, but for the more traditional subjects I would say they are pretty challenging
I took tough A-levels and you had to work hard for those, if you work hard enough and use your natural resources properly it's a lot easier.

Just fyi :fyi: in 2010 only 26.7% A-level examinations get an A-grade that might seem high but considering not all modules get a this means a lot of people get B,C,D's which is normal.
(edited 12 years ago)
C grades are still about average. TSR is not representative and subject difficulty varies from person to person.

I must admit though that I would be in a much better position if resits weren't permitted, I've managed to go through school and college without resitting a single exam but nevermind. I'm glad I've got offers for uni despite only having 2 A-levels and I've worked damn hard to get them.
Original post by xcesciee
I take 4 essay subjects and find it is ridiculously difficult to get As in them. There's no set answer either, you're marked purely on your own writing. No, it's not easier.

You are severely retarded for taken 4 essay subjects and deserve it.
Don't make assumptions on everyone's results from what you see on TSR.
Original post by Graceyyyyyyy
Don't make assumptions on everyone's results from what you see on TSR.

I am not making any assumptions. I am making comments based on statistics and my own experience of how doss A-Levels were.
I got AAA and people call me stupid on here who have worse grades than me doing easier subjects.

So either I'm smart or A levels are easy.
The way that A Level papers are marked means that it's impossible for everyone to get an A. As far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) only the 20% with the highest marks on the paper get 80%+ of the UMS marks for that paper. So for every A Level paper, 80% of the people who took it do not get an A.

Exam boards introduced the A* grade so that universities could distinguish the top 10% from the top 20%; I think this is a pretty decent compromise.

I reckon that a pretty significant reason that grades were lower in the past is because AS Levels and re-takes did not exist; you did all your exams in one go and there was no opportunity to improve on a bad paper.
Original post by Simplicity
I got AAA and people call me stupid on here who have worse grades than me doing easier subjects.

That is the answer (alhough you could also be smart)
Original post by Simplicity

You're probably smart academically but lack common sense? I'm not saying this is true but it might be an explanation.
Original post by LadyRowena
The way that A Level papers are marked means that it's impossible for everyone to get an A. As far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) only the 20% with the highest marks on the paper get 80%+ of the UMS marks for that paper. So for every A Level paper, 80% of the people who took it do not get an A.

Exam boards introduced the A* grade so that universities could distinguish the top 10% from the top 20%; I think this is a pretty decent compromise.

I reckon that a pretty significant reason that grades were lower in the past is because AS Levels and re-takes did not exist; you did all your exams in one go and there was no opportunity to improve on a bad paper.

Hahahahah, A level grades are not done via percentiles you idiot.

But grades were lower cause exams were harder - check out some exams from 1970 and you would flop big time.

Quick Reply

Latest