The Student Room Group

Are A-Levels too easy??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I would have liked it if they did not add A* A-Levels and just made A levels harder.

A level grades have been rising because i) grade boundaries have fallen, ii) modular examination free retakes.

-- They also added a lot of silly A-levels a while back. Psychology was revamped, no?
Reply 181
It isn't easy to get As but it is getting EASIER. I do agree however they should be getting harder no easier every year. This gives people a false pretence that each generation is smarter than the last which isn't entirely true.
In the olden days, most of the 90s you just turned up and did your exam on the day. That single exam would determine your grade. There was largely no modular work to add a cushion and in that aspect i think it was harder then. Mind you i did Classics in the olden days lol and we did a project that was like worth like 15 %, the rest of my A levels were a 100 % single exam at the end of my 2 year course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 183
I think it is? I mean if you're comparing to previous decades' A-levels, go try some old past years and you'll see a difference (I think they're harder). My mum's a teacher and she says A-levels are getting easier and easier (by the decades not years.)

Just an opinion.
Original post by AidanLunn
Coming from someone who is evidently lying abut their grades, I find that to be very hypocritical. No-one is more childish than someone who lies to boast.

I am not lying - believe what you will, I don't care.
Its just funny that if the young people in this country achieve something that everyone should be proud of (A's at A-Level), in contrast to the typical hoodie/vandalism stereotypes, they get drilled into the ground because A-levels are apparently too easy of a sudden.
Original post by Sabster

Original post by Sabster
It is not valued for the course but it is a good and hard A Level - do you not understand that?

If someone gets an A in English Lit it means 20000x more than if someone gets an A in Sociology or Tourism.

I think it all means the same on paper it does certainly it's all about getting them As.How can people say A-Levels are easy?-GCSEs you must have done in a Coma then there is that big of a difference between them that GCSEs you must have worked 0% to get the A*s.
Original post by Dalek1099
I think it all means the same on paper it does certainly it's all about getting them As.How can people say A-Levels are easy?-GCSEs you must have done in a Coma then there is that big of a difference between them that GCSEs you must have worked 0% to get the A*s.

to be honest i thought a levels were easier as they have more of a structure. And theres not as bigger difference as people make out.
Original post by arob752

Original post by arob752
to be honest i thought a levels were easier as they have more of a structure. And theres not as bigger difference as people make out.

A-Levels are not easier.My Brother and Sister found them a massive step up from GCSE.
Umad?
Reply 190
Original post by Qi Jia
I think it is? I mean if you're comparing to previous decades' A-levels, go try some old past years and you'll see a difference (I think they're harder). My mum's a teacher and she says A-levels are getting easier and easier (by the decades not years.)

Just an opinion.

How do we know she's not just getting better at it? :tongue:
Reply 191
Some are easier than others. They are harder than GCSEs and my AS-Levels were manageable with adequate teaching and hard work. A2 is again harder, but I suppose once I am into it, it should become slightly easier. The trouble is is that there is too much emphasis put upon learning according to the exam specification. Also, how to achieve specific grades for entrance to university. Then understanding and reading around the subject is jeopardised. Though, I hope they aren't regarded as too 'easy', then my A/B grades at AS isn't something to be pleased with!
Reply 192
Original post by Sabster
Anyone else think A-Levels are far too easy?

They need to revert back to the old days when getting a c-d was good and an A was incredible.

Because currently everybody gets As and it is ridiculously easy to do so (with very little work whatsoever).

Thus it is soo hard for the universities to seek out the good candidates.

Everyone gets A's?

What sixth form/college do you go to?

Certainly not mine.
A-Levels are not easier.My Brother and Sister found them a massive step up from GCSE.

well my dad said..... :biggrin:

It really depends on if you pick the right subjects i think. Easier was probably the wrong word to use. I think that most people though realise at a levels that if you want to do well, all you need to do is practice, which a lot of people dont realise at GCSE.

And its not a massive step up, if you keep on thinking that it is you wont succeed. All you have to do is work out what the examiner wants you to say or practice a certain type of question.

Saying this i can only speak for the subjects that i did. I would fail epically at a subject like English or History. Although you are meant to pick the A levels your interested in.
Grades have gone up every year since 1982, better teaching? better students? Easier?
Reply 195
Original post by chou246
How do we know she's not just getting better at it? :tongue:

Original post by Cyborgasm
Grades have gone up every year since 1982, better teaching? better students? Easier?

Hey guys check this out:
http://www.mathsnet.net/articles/article_alevel.html

This aren't isolated cases, as someone who has done many past years (from the 1970's till 2010) I will tell you that A Levels has gotten much easier over the decades, at least for Physics and Maths.

Note that we're not saying that A Levels are 'easy' currently, but that they're easier compared to previous decades. IMO The papers from 2001-2010 were of the same standard, with 2010 and 2009 being a little more challenging, but having a much much lower threshold.
Reply 196
I don't think the content of A-levels is easier than it used to be, but I do think that the format and structure of the courses make it easier to do well.
Reply 197
Original post by Qi Jia
Hey guys check this out:
http://www.mathsnet.net/articles/article_alevel.html

This aren't isolated cases, as someone who has done many past years (from the 1970's till 2010) I will tell you that A Levels has gotten much easier over the decades, at least for Physics and Maths.

From that example, the easiest question there is the 1981 question (from 30 years ago).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 198
i dont care as long as i get to uni (btw im not a straight A student)
its mainly just opinions anyway i think that A level ICT is more demanding than maths but many will disagree
Reply 199
Original post by Lumen
I don't think the content of A-levels is easier than it used to be, but I do think that the format and structure of the courses make it easier to do well.

I agree, the modular system greatly reduces stress on the students. This is good for me, as I only needed a C and a D on my last set of modules and I should get As overall.

Quick Reply

Latest