The Student Room Group

Official Physiotherapy Student Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Original post by Joe4567
Could anyone recommend any websites or magazines for me to use to gather some more knowledge to use in my personal statement?

http://www.csp.org.uk/ - The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Physiotherapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx - Physiotherapy - NHS Physiotherapy infomation.

www.aacp.org.uk/ - Acupuncture Association of Chartered Physiotherapists

www.acpsm.org/ - Website for physiotherapists in sport (Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Sports Medicine)

www.acprc.org.uk/ - Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Respiratory Care

www.acpin.net/ - Association of Chartered Physiotherapists Interested in Neurology

http://www.naidex.co.uk/naidexnational/default.aspx?refer=1 - Weekly publication which ha lots of letters and articles - very helpful for interviews.

Take your pick, if you need anything else, let me know.

Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1121
Original post by $hadow

http://www.csp.org.uk/ - The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Physiotherapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx - Physiotherapy - NHS Physiotherapy infomation.

www.aacp.org.uk/ - Acupuncture Association of Chartered Physiotherapists

www.acpsm.org/ - Website for physiotherapists in sport (Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Sports Medicine)

www.acprc.org.uk/ - Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Respiratory Care

www.acpin.net/ - Association of Chartered Physiotherapists Interested in Neurology

http://www.naidex.co.uk/naidexnational/default.aspx?refer=1 - Weekly publication which ha lots of letters and articles - very helpful for interviews.

Take your pick, if you need anything else, let me know.

Good luck!

Nice one, how is physiotherapy at university?
Reply 1122
Original post by Joe4567

Nice one, how is physiotherapy at university?

Your welcome. I start in September, so I can't really answer that question yet lol. However I just finished applying, so I knew some of the websites that would be useful to you.

I have started a blog - University of East London - BSc Physiotherapy Student Blog - 1st Year which will be updated throughout the year, so you can have a look at that from that start of September.

For now however, if you take a look at this thread: Physiotherapy Student Blogs - Links and Information you will see past Physiotherapy students posting their experiences at University with regards to Physiotherapy. :wink:
Reply 1123
Original post by $hadow
Your welcome. I start in September, so I can't really answer that question yet lol. However I just finished applying, so I knew some of the websites that would be useful to you.

I have started a blog - University of East London - BSc Physiotherapy Student Blog - 1st Year which will be updated throughout the year, so you can have a look at that from that start of September.

For now however, if you take a look at this thread: Physiotherapy Student Blogs - Links and Information you will see past Physiotherapy students posting their experiences at University with regards to Physiotherapy. :wink:

I will have a look at that once you start, thanks again
Hey!

Is anyone going to the University of Birmingham to study physiotherapy this year?

If so any recommendations for accomodation not provided by the university, i.e. websites like UNITE, ham cam etc, finding UoB accomodation is v. expensive
Reply 1125
Hey, Birmingham is my first choice and have applied for uni accommodation which i have now realised after looking at my student loans/grants is going to leave me with very little money left!
Hiya, I'm applying to study physiotherapy and am currently in my second year at college. I've been looking around universities in order to make an informed decision and discounted Cardiff as the physio was based in the hospital 30 minutes away from the university campus. I'm looking at Liverpool, Nottingham, Birmingham, Brighton, Bournemouth and Oxford Brookes.

To anyone studying at these universities.. are you based on the university campus (other than when on placement) or are you based in a hospital further away from the rest of uni life?

Thanks,
Aimee
Reply 1127
Added:

University of Nottingham: Post graduate - Postgradphysio: MSc (Manual Therapy) at Nottingham - The upper quadrant module.
Reply 1128
Kia Ora! Hello!
I am currently in my first professional year of undergraduate physiotherapy at the University of Otago, New Zealand. I started a blog at the beginning of my course, and have only now looked around for other people's experiences / blogs. You can find my blog here:

http://undergrad-physio.blogspot.co.nz/

Enjoy!
Original post by rugby_gal
No interviews at Keele and Salford so I'm presuming they randomly pick too.

Hi,
I do know Salford University do interviews(group presentation, reflective writing on the presentation and then a one to one with two tutors). Uclan do a one to one with a tutor and a third year student.

I hope this helps
Hi just wanted to ask a few questions. , I would like to apply to physiotherapy as I'm very into health and fitness and love to encourage exercise/movement in my current job I think it would be my type of career. I would like to work with elderely as a physio eventually maybe in stroke rehab or a neuro related area but I would like to ask what types of interventions are mainly used in stroke rehab? The only thing about physio that I wouldn't like to do is massage someone it would just feel to 'intimate/touchy feely' for me lol. I know that you have to manipulate joints etc which I should be fine with (although I'm only very tiny like 4ft11 and thin so would I find this difficult?).
Reply 1131
Original post by civilstudent
Hi just wanted to ask a few questions. , I would like to apply to physiotherapy as I'm very into health and fitness and love to encourage exercise/movement in my current job I think it would be my type of career. I would like to work with elderely as a physio eventually maybe in stroke rehab or a neuro related area but I would like to ask what types of interventions are mainly used in stroke rehab? The only thing about physio that I wouldn't like to do is massage someone it would just feel to 'intimate/touchy feely' for me lol. I know that you have to manipulate joints etc which I should be fine with (although I'm only very tiny like 4ft11 and thin so would I find this difficult?).

You might want to start by having a look at this, http://www.stroke.org.uk/factsheet/physiotherapy-after-stroke, this should provide you with the answers you are looking for, this http://www.csp.org.uk/professional-union/practice/evidence-base/physiotherapy-works/physiotherapy-works-stroke may help too.

As for your size and build, joint manipulation, manual handling, massage and many other physical aspects of physiotherapy are mostly related to practice and good technique, yes physical strength is an advantage for certain techniques, but its not essential and can be build over time and experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do any Physio students know of any students who got into their Uni with one grade short of the usual requirements?
My back up Uni rejected me so any offers will all be AAB. If I get ABB is there any chance I would still be accepted? I'm assuming Physio doesn't generally go to clearing?
Original post by Sals1970
Hi,
I do know Salford University do interviews(group presentation, reflective writing on the presentation and then a one to one with two tutors). Uclan do a one to one with a tutor and a third year student.

I hope this helps

Hey did you have interviews for physiotherapy at both Salford and UCLAN? If yes can you pls let me know what kind of questions you got asked? Thanks xx
Reply 1134
Hi all

Are there any current York St John students here?
Hey, I'm applying for physio 2016 entry and just wanted to know if anyone already on a course could tell me what their experience is like? Particularly getting involved in other aspects of uni life outside physio, is that still possible or is the course too demanding? Really interested in physio and excited to (hopefully!) study it, was just curious how much the course impacts having a good social life, as I think its important in uni (not looking for a huge one, just hope there'll be time to join societies and meet people from other courses etc). Thanks for any help, good luck to everyone applying as well!
Reply 1136
I have updated the `The Official Physiotherapy Student Society Thread` to include new information and also fixed the image within the post. If you are new please join the Physio Student Society.

I have also added new information regarding Evidence Based Exercise & Therapy, a Facebook page for up-to-date research and developments created by myself and other physiotherapy students. Feel free to join or ask any questions.

P.S: I am currently finishing off my 3rd year in a BSc Physiotherapy degree at UEL, if you have any questions feel free to ask here or FB message the page above.

Regards,
Shadow.
Im scareed i cope with physiotheraphy. I have an offer what shall i do. What if i fail?!??
Original post by $hadow
I have updated the `The Official Physiotherapy Student Society Thread` to include new information and also fixed the image within the post. If you are new please join the Physio Student Society.

I have also added new information regarding Evidence Based Exercise & Therapy, a Facebook page for up-to-date research and developments created by myself and other physiotherapy students. Feel free to join or ask any questions.

P.S: I am currently finishing off my 3rd year in a BSc Physiotherapy degree at UEL, if you have any questions feel free to ask here or FB message the page above.

Regards,
Shadow.

What grades did you get if you mind me asking? My AS results weren't that strong. What can I do to ensure I get onto the course for 2017
Hi :smile:

I have an unconditional (subject to DBS checks) offer for next September and really wanted to get a bit of a head start on anatomy by then ... May as well spend the year doing something productive around work.

Can anyone recommend a good book for this where it will give me a solid foundation of knowledge but not getting too ahead of myself??

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending