The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough 2012 Freshers + FAQ/Info

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by Village Whisper
Ooh, let me know what they're like if you do get to have a look around! Ah, that doesn't sound too good. What were the subjects? It sounds like you made the right decision anyway :smile: I couldn't have handled a full-time job at 16! A couple of people I know dropped out of sixth form for jobs, but I don't think they were planning on going to uni anyway so I guess it was just a matter of speeding up the process for them. Do you just need a pass to meet your condition (I assume it's graded like pass, merit, distinction?)? Yeah haha, I've done A-Levels and I'm on my foundation year at the moment, so I'm 19. It doesn't seem like there'll be many 18 year olds straight from A-Level on the art courses, which is good I think. I wouldn't have been ready for it a year ago, anyway.

I will! :smile: I did Geography, History, English Language, English Literature and Media..to be honest English, Media, Geography were okay it was just History I couldn't stand! It's weird because I studied absolutely nothing arty because at that point I thought I might like to be a journalist and now I'm doing something completely different haha! Yep it's either Pass, Merit or Distinction and I need to achieve DDM for this course which is actually pretty high compared to my other offers and other uni's so I hope I achieve that! Ahh yeah I'm 19 in a couple of months so we'd be in the same year at school. I agree because to begin with I was hoping I wouldn't feel alot older going to uni a year later but tbh it seems to be a relatively popular choice, particularly with Art courses which is good, plus a number of my friends have taken Gap years too!
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Lucyc19
I will! :smile: I did Geography, History, English Language, English Literature and Media..to be honest English, Media, Geography were okay it was just History I couldn't stand! It's weird because I studied absolutely nothing arty because at that point I thought I might like to be a journalist and now I'm doing something completely different haha! Yep it's either Pass, Merit or Distinction and I need to achieve DDM for this course which is actually pretty high compared to my other offers and other uni's so I hope I achieve that! Ahh yeah I'm 19 in a couple of months so we'd be in the same year at school. I agree because to begin with I was hoping I wouldn't feel alot older going to uni a year later but tbh it seems to be a relatively popular choice, particularly with Art courses which is good, plus a number of my friends have taken Gap years too!

Oh wow, that's quite a difference in subjects! I did Art, French and Philosophy at A2, and English Literature and Critical Thinking (not my choice haha, we had to pick a subject out of four weird ones and that one sounded the best :tongue: ) at AS. And some weird research course. I was pretty happy with my choices, but I'd have liked to do another language as well...Or psychology. I get how you can switch from English to art though, 'cause for ages I wanted to "be an author" haha. Then I figured I could write a book without studying a degree for it, so I went back to art. A girl on my course changed from applying for engineering last year to joining the art foundation at the last minute though, which is a pretty big difference. DDM is pretty high! Fingers crossed you'll get it :smile: What were your other offers? Yeah, at sixth form it seemed like everyone was going to uni, but there are more people going this year than I thought. I was convinced I'd have to wait another year this year if I didn't get in and I'd feel really old, but it seems like there are a fair few people who are 20+ and applying anyway.
Reply 462
Oh wow, that's quite a difference in subjects! I did Art, French and Philosophy at A2, and English Literature and Critical Thinking (not my choice haha, we had to pick a subject out of four weird ones and that one sounded the best :tongue: ) at AS. And some weird research course. I was pretty happy with my choices, but I'd have liked to do another language as well...Or psychology. I get how you can switch from English to art though, 'cause for ages I wanted to "be an author" haha. Then I figured I could write a book without studying a degree for it, so I went back to art. A girl on my course changed from applying for engineering last year to joining the art foundation at the last minute though, which is a pretty big difference. DDM is pretty high! Fingers crossed you'll get it :smile: What were your other offers? Yeah, at sixth form it seemed like everyone was going to uni, but there are more people going this year than I thought. I was convinced I'd have to wait another year this year if I didn't get in and I'd feel really old, but it seems like there are a fair few people who are 20+ and applying anyway.

Yes definitely! I would have liked to have studied French too but there was a clash on my timetable which is why I more or less had no choice but to do History! :frown: Having not even studied it at GCSE it was a nightmare! Haha yes I've always thought writing is more something you can do in the meantime whilst studying for something else but it makes a good back-up plan I guess. It is as my other offers for Lincoln and Southampton were more MMM! Though as my course isn't dependant on exams and just coursework, hopefully if I put lots of effort in I'll be ok..definitely got my heart set on Loughborough now so don't mind having no social life for a while! Yep I agree there seems to be quite a big age range which can only be a good thing :smile:
Original post by Lucyc19
Yes definitely! I would have liked to have studied French too but there was a clash on my timetable which is why I more or less had no choice but to do History! :frown: Having not even studied it at GCSE it was a nightmare! Haha yes I've always thought writing is more something you can do in the meantime whilst studying for something else but it makes a good back-up plan I guess. It is as my other offers for Lincoln and Southampton were more MMM! Though as my course isn't dependant on exams and just coursework, hopefully if I put lots of effort in I'll be ok..definitely got my heart set on Loughborough now so don't mind having no social life for a while! Yep I agree there seems to be quite a big age range which can only be a good thing :smile:

Oh dear, that's a shame. I liked French (still do), but I feel like I've forgotten loads since I finished. I didn't even know you could do an A-Level subject without doing it at GCSE, for things like History anyway. That must've been awful! I can see why you decided to do something else instead. Yeah, I guess a lot of people probably think the same about art :tongue: Have it as a "hobby" instead. Well, I'm sure you'll get the grades :smile: You obviously want to go to Loughborough, so that must be good motivation in addition to wanting to do well anyway, and adding in the social life time and any finger-crossing, you should be fine :tongue:
Reply 464
Oh dear, that's a shame. I liked French (still do), but I feel like I've forgotten loads since I finished. I didn't even know you could do an A-Level subject without doing it at GCSE, for things like History anyway. That must've been awful! I can see why you decided to do something else instead. Yeah, I guess a lot of people probably think the same about art :tongue: Have it as a "hobby" instead. Well, I'm sure you'll get the grades :smile: You obviously want to go to Loughborough, so that must be good motivation in addition to wanting to do well anyway, and adding in the social life time and any finger-crossing, you should be fine :tongue:

I've definitely forgotten pretty much all of it since I finished studying it at GCSE haha. Yes I'm so glad I changed my mind although at the time I did think it was a bit of a risk but looks like it's (almost) paid off! Yes hopefully, just got to work hard on my final project for college! Definitely have my heart set on Loughborough now, I don't know about you but I've thought about it so much I can't imagine going anywhere else! :smile: I can't wait!
Original post by Lucyc19
I've definitely forgotten pretty much all of it since I finished studying it at GCSE haha. Yes I'm so glad I changed my mind although at the time I did think it was a bit of a risk but looks like it's (almost) paid off! Yes hopefully, just got to work hard on my final project for college! Definitely have my heart set on Loughborough now, I don't know about you but I've thought about it so much I can't imagine going anywhere else! :smile: I can't wait!

Oh dear, I'm the same with German. I studied it for 3 years, and all I can remember is "die Katze ist auf dem Bett" (the cat is on the bed) :tongue: Very useful, I know. Nah, I think it's definitely paid off 'cause you're doing something you actually like, and you have offers which you will meet :smile: What's your final project on? I should really be doing mine now instead of being on here. I agree, I can't imagine going anywhere else either, I think I'd have waited another year if I didn't get in. It's a bit scary though!
Reply 466
Oh dear, I'm the same with German. I studied it for 3 years, and all I can remember is "die Katze ist auf dem Bett" (the cat is on the bed) :tongue: Very useful, I know. Nah, I think it's definitely paid off 'cause you're doing something you actually like, and you have offers which you will meet :smile: What's your final project on? I should really be doing mine now instead of being on here. I agree, I can't imagine going anywhere else either, I think I'd have waited another year if I didn't get in. It's a bit scary though!

Haha all I can remember is random words and useless phrases too that I doubt will ever come in handy! Well it's one we get to write our own brief for, which is pretty good because we get the freedom to do something we really like so I'm illustrating/writing a book on the 'A-Z of Fashion' for 8/9 year old girls. I am enjoying it as this is the sort of thing I really like..girly illustrations and pretty things haha though I'm not sure if a 26 page book is a little ambitious! Have you got much college work at the moment? :smile:
Original post by Lucyc19
Haha all I can remember is random words and useless phrases too that I doubt will ever come in handy! Well it's one we get to write our own brief for, which is pretty good because we get the freedom to do something we really like so I'm illustrating/writing a book on the 'A-Z of Fashion' for 8/9 year old girls. I am enjoying it as this is the sort of thing I really like..girly illustrations and pretty things haha though I'm not sure if a 26 page book is a little ambitious! Have you got much college work at the moment? :smile:

I wish I was bilingual or something...I'm so jealous of people who can speak loads of languages fluently! That sounds like our Final Major Project, which I'm doing now. We get to choose what we do too, so I'm sort of looking at multiple personalities/selves/identities. So yeah, I have loads of work to do 'cause I was stupid in choosing such a non-specific, fairly complicated topic haha. Yours sounds really fun! Do you by any chance have an online portfolio? It'd be interesting to see if you do, your work seems completely different to mine :tongue:
Reply 468
Original post by ru7lan
Hi guys I'm going for chemical engineering, and I haven't done mechanics. May you tell me if I would have extremely difficulty?

I'm doing chemical engineering this year, and honestly don't think it will be a problem for you, as long as your algebra is good, you'll be fine.
Reply 469
Original post by Buberries
I'm doing chemical engineering this year, and honestly don't think it will be a problem for you, as long as your algebra is good, you'll be fine.

Thank you do much done I've been worried sick about falling behind next year sinc I wouldn't know mechanics
Reply 470
I wish I was bilingual or something...I'm so jealous of people who can speak loads of languages fluently! That sounds like our Final Major Project, which I'm doing now. We get to choose what we do too, so I'm sort of looking at multiple personalities/selves/identities. So yeah, I have loads of work to do 'cause I was stupid in choosing such a non-specific, fairly complicated topic haha. Yours sounds really fun! Do you by any chance have an online portfolio? It'd be interesting to see if you do, your work seems completely different to mine :tongue:

Me too, always been fascinated how some people can remember multiple languages! Oh cool that sounds fun too! :smile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucycowlin19/ That's my flickr :smile: I only just uploaded alot of my work to it yesterday as I stupidly forgot my username for my old account :frown: I have quite a bit more work I'd like to add as much of that is fairly old now but you'll get an idea about the kind of thing I like :smile: How about you? Would be nice to see some of your work, especially if it's different!
Original post by Lucyc19
Me too, always been fascinated how some people can remember multiple languages! Oh cool that sounds fun too! :smile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucycowlin19/ That's my flickr :smile: I only just uploaded alot of my work to it yesterday as I stupidly forgot my username for my old account :frown: I have quite a bit more work I'd like to add as much of that is fairly old now but you'll get an idea about the kind of thing I like :smile: How about you? Would be nice to see some of your work, especially if it's different!

Ooh, I like your work! You can kind of tell you do graphics, too :tongue: How did you do that Antique one, with the layered faces? Here's mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/villagewhisper/ That was the one I made for Brighton, who were very specific about wanting current work which is why there's so much of the Alice in Wonderland-based stuff at the top. I say "current", but it was from January when I was trying to be more fine art-y for my interviews, which was a terrible idea really. So yeah, I'm back to doing people now, but I don't have any photos of my current work at the moment. All that work seems really old now!

EDIT: By the way, when is your illustration day at Loughborough? I got my email yesterday, mine's on the 25th April at 10:30am :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 472
Ooh, I like your work! You can kind of tell you do graphics, too :tongue: How did you do that Antique one, with the layered faces? Here's mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/villagewhisper/ That was the one I made for Brighton, who were very specific about wanting current work which is why there's so much of the Alice in Wonderland-based stuff at the top. I say "current", but it was from January when I was trying to be more fine art-y for my interviews, which was a terrible idea really. So yeah, I'm back to doing people now, but I don't have any photos of my current work at the moment. All that work seems really old now!

Thank you! :smile: I basically layered a photo in Photoshop with loads of different illustrations I'd drawn by hand which I'd then scanned in..and just played around with the opacity and loads of the brush tools! To be honest, alot of the work on there I just created by experimenting and not really knowing what I was doing haha..best way to learn I guess! :wink: But you can probably tell Illustration is definitely what I prefer over Graphics..Graphics is too perfect and precise for my kind of work! Ah thank you I'll have a look! All mine seems soo old, it's funny how when you look back your opinions change about your work..I'm not sure on a majority of my old work now haha as most of that was done over a year ago!
Reply 473
Wow your work is really nice! I especially like the one with the face drawn on the book pages, that's my favourite kind of style at the moment, I love mixed-media work :smile: Brighton would be mad not to give you an offer! :wink:
Original post by Lucyc19
Wow your work is really nice! I especially like the one with the face drawn on the book pages, that's my favourite kind of style at the moment, I love mixed-media work :smile: Brighton would be mad not to give you an offer! :wink:

Haha, thank you! The face on the book pages is the kind of thing I usually do, with mixed media and stuff. I use book pages probably more than I should, as well...I think I got a rejection from them because it was too mixed media for them or something, since it was a painting course. I don't really mind though, I got the offer I wanted! I've only just really got into experimenting with my work, which is a bit bad but oh well. I was on Photoshop all day on Friday, just messing around with layers and opacity, too :smile: It really is the best way to learn I think, especially when you haven't planned it. I don't like much of my old work, either :tongue:

I think I edited my previous post just as you were replying...bad timing! :tongue: I added: "By the way, when is your illustration day at Loughborough? I got my email yesterday, mine's on the 25th April at 10:30am :smile: "
Reply 475
Haha, thank you! The face on the book pages is the kind of thing I usually do, with mixed media and stuff. I use book pages probably more than I should, as well...I think I got a rejection from them because it was too mixed media for them or something, since it was a painting course. I don't really mind though, I got the offer I wanted! I've only just really got into experimenting with my work, which is a bit bad but oh well. I was on Photoshop all day on Friday, just messing around with layers and opacity, too :smile: It really is the best way to learn I think, especially when you haven't planned it. I don't like much of my old work, either :tongue:

I think I edited my previous post just as you were replying...bad timing! :tongue: I added: "By the way, when is your illustration day at Loughborough? I got my email yesterday, mine's on the 25th April at 10:30am :smile: "

A few of my friends also applied for Brighton and they said they felt their work wasn't specific enough too so they seem pretty fussy! :wink: Yes exactly :smile: Definitely, before I started college I'd never touched Photoshop in my life and was 100% clueless but experimenting with it definitely seems to be the best way to pick things up! Haha yes I didn't see your extra comment but mine is also on the 25th at 10:30! They must be holding the same event for all Art students! I'm looking forward to seeing what it's going to be like, as although I've got a vague idea I feel as though the Open Days are to impress rather than reality, though I'm sure it'll be good :smile:
Original post by Lucyc19
A few of my friends also applied for Brighton and they said they felt their work wasn't specific enough too so they seem pretty fussy! :wink: Yes exactly :smile: Definitely, before I started college I'd never touched Photoshop in my life and was 100% clueless but experimenting with it definitely seems to be the best way to pick things up! Haha yes I didn't see your extra comment but mine is also on the 25th at 10:30! They must be holding the same event for all Art students! I'm looking forward to seeing what it's going to be like, as although I've got a vague idea I feel as though the Open Days are to impress rather than reality, though I'm sure it'll be good :smile:

Yeah they do a bit, I've only heard of one person getting an offer and I know loads of people who applied. I think experimenting in general is a good way to find new things, but I tend to worry about it "going wrong" which isn't really the point :tongue: Ooh, might see you there then :smile: I never went to the open day, but you're probably right about them trying to impress. It's a really long day if it goes on til 3pm, they must have a lot to show us! Do you think it's just for students, or are parents supposed to come too?
Reply 477
Yeah they do a bit, I've only heard of one person getting an offer and I know loads of people who applied. I think experimenting in general is a good way to find new things, but I tend to worry about it "going wrong" which isn't really the point :tongue: Ooh, might see you there then :smile: I never went to the open day, but you're probably right about them trying to impress. It's a really long day if it goes on til 3pm, they must have a lot to show us! Do you think it's just for students, or are parents supposed to come too?

I don't know anyone who even got an offer so it must be pretty difficult! I went to one back in November but it seems like ages ago now and because at the time I wasn't sure where I wanted to go at all, I didn't really take it all in if that makes sense haha! I would think it's just for students though it doesn't mention anything on the email! And yes it does seem to be quite a long day, hope it's interesting :smile:
Original post by Lucyc19
I don't know anyone who even got an offer so it must be pretty difficult! I went to one back in November but it seems like ages ago now and because at the time I wasn't sure where I wanted to go at all, I didn't really take it all in if that makes sense haha! I would think it's just for students though it doesn't mention anything on the email! And yes it does seem to be quite a long day, hope it's interesting :smile:

I guess there are a lot of applicants because it's near London and right by the beach :tongue: Oh well, I liked the actual place more than the course so maybe I'll just live there when I'm older. Yep I know what you mean, when I went to open days I was constantly comparing them to the other places and not really looking at them as individual courses and unis. Are you going on your own, then? I really want to find out about the work you're supposed to do in the first year, though I feel like I should probably know that already!
Anyone hold an offer for innovative manufacturing engineering? (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending