The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough 2012 Freshers + FAQ/Info

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarahM94
Thanks for the info. I went to a university conference and asked Loughborough uni about this, they stated that you don't have to unless your interview work isn't up to standard.
No i'm applying for 2013, yeah still deciding if i want to or not. So is this art foundation the same for all art/design students, what are the type of things you are doing at the moment and will it be the same for me? thanks

Oh, well, I'm sure they know a lot better than I do :tongue:

If you're seriously considering a foundation, though, I'd say do it. It's an extra year where you can just focus on your art instead of worrying about not revising/writing an essay/doing homework for other subjects, and you can pretty much do what you want. For my course, we started off doing a month of experimenting in the four different areas (printmaking/fine art, 3D/sculpture, fashion/textiles and visual communications), and then we chose which area we wanted to stay in for the rest of the year. The next stage is the Pathway stage, where we had one or two "briefs" in the area we chose (I'm in printmaking/fine art). The final stage after that is the Confirmatory stage, which is the Final Major Project. You can do whatever you want for this, though you kinda could for the Pathway too since the briefs were very vague. The FMP lasts for about 10 college weeks, not including Easter etc, and finishes with the final foundation exhibition where you exhibit your final piece. This usually has a private view evening, and then it's open to the public. While it's up, all of the FMP work gets marked (you don't have to display sketchbook work etc.) by the tutors and then by an external examiner, and your mark will be either Pass, Merit or Distinction (or a referral, where you have to do more work to get a Pass). None of the other foundation work gets marked, you just have to pass each stage in order to do the FMP.

Sorry, that's really long! I think foundations are pretty much the same wherever you do them, so there's no need to go somewhere fancy. The course content might vary slightly, but their aim is basically to get you to put together a good portfolio of work. I had way more work (and better work) to show at my interviews than I would have had during my A2 year, so it was definitely worth doing. Universities like foundations too, because they can see you haven't just come straight from A-Level and you've had time to think about the course you want to apply for, which is really important for them. They want to know whether you're suited to the course and whether that's really what you want to do, and personally I don't see how any A-Level student can be that sure they're doing the right thing when it comes to art since there are so many different areas. I don't mean that in a bad way, I'm just pretty indecisive and I wouldn't have had anywhere near enough time last year to make up my mind properly :tongue:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Firmed Loughborough today (Geography F800) over U of Birmingham. Hope its worth it :biggrin:
Firmed Lbro :biggrin: Yikes, scary stuff.
firmed woop
I was just wondering if there was an official loughborough 2012 applicants facebook page, cause the only ones i can find either have 1 member or one which has about 20, the majority of which appear to already be studying there :s-smilie:
Original post by courtneywow
I was just wondering if there was an official loughborough 2012 applicants facebook page, cause the only ones i can find either have 1 member or one which has about 20, the majority of which appear to already be studying there :s-smilie:

I don't use facebook at the moment, but it seems like groups are being made for individual courses. I don't know if there's a 2012 freshers page yet, maybe it's too early? Someone will probably make pages for halls soon too, since the application thing's soon :smile:
Oh right, yeah that makes sense :smile: thanks!
Reply 507
Oh right, yeah that makes sense :smile: thanks!

this one was posted a couple of weeks ago, might join it, but want to decide if I'm going to defer or not before I join and get excited about going haha https://www.facebook.com/groups/352492511428030/
thanks :biggrin:, ah I'm so excited already haha. Where else are you considering?
Reply 509
thanks :biggrin:, ah I'm so excited already haha. Where else are you considering?

just fancied a year out for a few months working and travelling and what not, pretty much just another year of pissing about, although at the same time I can't wait to go to uni :tongue:
what course you applied for?
hahahah oh right, sounds good either way really. Nearly went in for biology but realised how much I can't stand it :L so I've applied for criminology instead. Complete opposite I know XD
hahahah oh right, sounds good either way really. Nearly went in for biology but realised how much I can't stand it :L so I've applied for criminology instead. Complete opposite I know XD

firming lboro for math today, i am all over the moon right now
Hey guys,

Is there anyone else on the thread starting September 2012 for Criminology and Social policy? My offer is 300 ucas points :smile: Starting to get worried, haven't found anyone else on the course yet!!

Also, I'm from the Cayman Islands so would love to hear from anyone else in the Caribbean going to Loughborough!
I'm hoping to study criminology and social policy :smile:
Reply 514
I need a new laptop for next year since im going to uni. Im going to Loughborough to study Chemical engineering and i cant decide between mac and windows. What would be better for my course? and in genereal whats better?

Ive always been a PC user
Firmed Loughborough yesterday!! :biggrin:

now just hoping to get the grades.. can't wait!!
Reply 516
Original post by ru7lan
I need a new laptop for next year since im going to uni. Im going to Loughborough to study Chemical engineering and i cant decide between mac and windows. What would be better for my course? and in genereal whats better?

Ive always been a PC user

Get a PC. Macs are beautiful, and work brilliantly, but pound-for-pound you get a LOT less for your money. The cheapest macbook will set you back around £750. For that price, you could get a windows-based system with much, much higher specs.

You can get a windows laptop that will last you for at least 2 years (3/4+ with good care) for roughly £450.
Reply 517
Original post by Xenite
Get a PC. Macs are beautiful, and work brilliantly, but pound-for-pound you get a LOT less for your money. The cheapest macbook will set you back around £750. For that price, you could get a windows-based system with much, much higher specs.

You can get a windows laptop that will last you for at least 2 years (3/4+ with good care) for roughly £450.

I HAD an amazing acer that got brought over for me as a present from Russia (im russian and live in cyprus) but after a little bit of water got spilt on it and the technician calle me today and said that they want 500+ euros to fix it. For that money i can get a new laptop.

Thats why im in the market for a new one, i really like the macs but just wondering if they will be any good i.e compatibility of software and general use.

P.S thnx for your help
Unconditional for Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, so excited!! I can't wait to start this summer!!
Reply 519
Unconditional for Social Psychology :smile: awwww yeeaaaaah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending