The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough 2012 Freshers + FAQ/Info

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ru7lan
I was hoping the same thing since im also on the beng course. If you receive any new information then please tell me since im really interested

yes i have now..you can move onto the meng course uptill the end of the 2nd year only if you get 2.1 :smile:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 801
Original post by master_blaster66
im on the beng course for chemical engineering, but if i get 2.1, can i then transfer to the meng course?

Not sure for ChemEng, but in CompSci we were told that, as long as we were achieving well (2:1 or above I think was said) then we can move up to the integrated MSci from the BSc at any time. Similar in reverses as well. In fact, he told us that it really doesn't matter if we applied to BSc or MSci because they'll just put any nearly-MSci students into the BSc course, with the option to move back. :biggrin:
Original post by Fazackerberry
Can't even find an official general one at the moment!

official one= https://www.facebook.com/groups/275594342555515/
Reply 803
Original post by El_Barto_94
Hi guys, I'm starting Systems Engineering this year and I'll be staying in Rutherford. Just hoping to find a couple of like-minded people before starting. Can't hurt to speak to a few people beforehand :biggrin:

Hey. you are literally the only other person i have found who is moving into Rutherford! finally someone is out there! Was rutherford your first choice?
Reply 804
Can second years do freshers again? like do you need the wristbands to get in at all or do you just have to pay?
Are we allowed to smile in our ID photo, or are the rules the same as a passport photo?

Also does anyone know when we will get our accommodation if loughborough was our insurance choice?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 806
Anyone in Rigg-Rut check this out incase you haven't already seen it:
http://www.lufbra.net/hall/riggrut/

if you scroll to the bottom there's an interactive freshers booklet which has all of the freshers events, so we can start getting our fancy dress ready :tongue:
Reply 807
Original post by lizzxo
Anyone in Rigg-Rut check this out incase you haven't already seen it:
http://www.lufbra.net/hall/riggrut/

if you scroll to the bottom there's an interactive freshers booklet which has all of the freshers events, so we can start getting our fancy dress ready :tongue:

Ha yeah, I saw that earlier. Think I know what I need to get for most things but cant decide what to do for the 'f'-letter theme... Ha :smile: looks like freshers is gonna be awesome though :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST25i
Reply 808
Original post by Xenite
Ha yeah, I saw that earlier. Think I know what I need to get for most things but cant decide what to do for the 'f'-letter theme... Ha :smile: looks like freshers is gonna be awesome though :biggrin:

Yeah I stumbled on the 'F' thing, may just settle for dressing as a giant fish finger or something aha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 809
Original post by Naked and Famous
Are we allowed to smile in our ID photo, or are the rules the same as a passport photo?

Also does anyone know when we will get our accommodation if loughborough was our insurance choice?

Yes, it's not actually an official form of ID. So if you just look like yourself you should be just fine. I am smiling in mine and they didn't say anything. :smile:

And if I was you I would just wait and see about the accomondation, maybe check the application portal for any updates every now and then.
Reply 810
How much will freshers week cost etc. like entry to stuff and all the subsidies for the hall etc?

Reply 811
does anyone know when platinum/extra will be available?
Original post by Katharine
does anyone know when platinum/extra will be available?

very soon I expect, check on lufbra.net and details will be up shortly x
Original post by Thectan
How much will freshers week cost etc. like entry to stuff and all the subsidies for the hall etc?

Hmm, I'll try and remember a rough guide for how much I spent.
- Food shopping on the first day (get mum to buy this!) £100+ with A LOT of alcohol included.
- Platinum Extra (a must if you plan on going out a lot, e.g. 2/3 times a week to the union, and gives you freshers ball ticket included, well it did last year!) approx £130
- Freshers Fee / Hall Sub approx £60-100 depending on hall
- Money for joining up to clubs/societies (you can already look on lufbra.net and see what we have to offer. Memberships vary from £10 to £75+ depending on society etc.)
- Around £20/£30 to take out each night you plan on drinking a fair bit out, though I'd say have plenty of predrinks. You can easily end up spending £200/£250 plus if you go mental consistently.

I can't think of anything else right now but I'm sure if others do they will comment :smile:

-
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Hmm, I'll try and remember a rough guide for how much I spent.
- Food shopping on the first day (get mum to buy this!) £100+ with A LOT of alcohol included.
- Platinum Extra (a must if you plan on going out a lot, e.g. 2/3 times a week to the union, and gives you freshers ball ticket included, well it did last year!) approx £130
- Money for joining up to clubs/societies (you can already look on lufbra.net and see what we have to offer. Memberships vary from £10 to £75+ depending on society etc.)
- Around £20/£30 to take out each night you plan on drinking a fair bit out, though I'd say have plenty of predrinks. You can easily end up spending £200/£250 plus if you go mental consistently.

I can't think of anything else right now but I'm sure if others do they will comment :smile:

-

That sounds pretty accurate. You might end up buying some spare bits for fancy dress events if you have not already got them.
Original post by Sawwah
Can second years do freshers again? like do you need the wristbands to get in at all or do you just have to pay?

It depends on the hall you're affiliating to. Some of the events are only open to freshers at the beginning because they're organised by halls so the freshers have paid for this in their fresher subs. But things like returners FND and freshers ball are open for anyone if you pay.
Reply 816
Original post by Rachel_Leah

Does this have to be paid separately, or is it included in the hall fees?
Original post by NickA92
Does this have to be paid separately, or is it included in the hall fees?

This is paid separate usually via lufbra.net or when you arrive, your hall will tell you more about it :smile: Its not part of the rent, it's more to do with social activities, sport etc so it has nothing to do with what you pay to the accommodation company, if that's what you meant xxx
i was looking here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/media/wwwlboroacuk/content/prospectus/ug/documents/2012-fees-table-v2.pdf
does anyone know when we receive the bursaries, tuition fee wavers and accomodation discount?
Is there anybody else who cannot log in to accept their accommodation offer? Anyone? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending