The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
hi :smile: just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone has applied to the scottish unis? xxx :smile:
Reply 1981
Original post by Rach25
hi :smile: just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone has applied to the scottish unis? xxx :smile:

Me!! I'm so excited to see another Scottish applicant, I thought I was alone haha! Where have you applied to? I've got an unconditional from Strathclyde, still waiting on QMU and Newcastle but I think Strath is my first choice =) Have you heard anything back? xx
Original post by PinkSprinkles
I know that in theory, all the courses should be regarded fairly equally because they all have to cover the same things, but does anyone know if this is actually true or if some places have a better reputation for SLT than others?

Just to add to what Spence_LJS said, in terms of job prospects, all the universities rank the same in employers' eyes, as so few universities offer SLT that they can't afford to be picky. It is one of those careers where your own merits really shine through, rather than relying on university reputation, as it is all very person-centred.
Original post by Spence_LJS
I don't think reputation is affected by course content alone. Things like how the placements are organised, the quality of teaching and research, the facilities etc. can all affect rep. Also, some unis exceed the NHS requirements by offering more placement hours etc, so that's also something to consider. Ultimately though, uni is what you make of it so choosing where you go is really a matter of preference...

Original post by PhoenixFortune
Just to add to what Spence_LJS said, in terms of job prospects, all the universities rank the same in employers' eyes, as so few universities offer SLT that they can't afford to be picky. It is one of those careers where your own merits really shine through, rather than relying on university reputation, as it is all very person-centred.

Thank you both for the info :smile: When I was choosing the ones I wanted to apply to (Reading, Newcastle, UEA, Manchester and City) I took things like facilities into account anyway so it should be fine!
Thank you both for the info :smile: When I was choosing the ones I wanted to apply to (Reading, Newcastle, UEA, Manchester and City) I took things like facilities into account anyway so it should be fine!

Looks like you've made some good choices :smile: I hope Reading start giving out offers soon...

Original post by PhoenixFortune

Well said!
Just realised that this is my second time applying to Manchester and I've still never visited xD I should really get my ass over there sometime!
Reply 1986
Original post by Rhonaa
Me!! I'm so excited to see another Scottish applicant, I thought I was alone haha! Where have you applied to? I've got an unconditional from Strathclyde, still waiting on QMU and Newcastle but I think Strath is my first choice =) Have you heard anything back? xx

Oh my word! I am in exactly the same situation! hahaa :smile: That's where I've applied to and have my unconditional from Strathclyde! spooky :L xxx
Reply 1987
Original post by Rach25
Oh my word! I am in exactly the same situation! hahaa :smile: That's where I've applied to and have my unconditional from Strathclyde! spooky :L xxx

That's strange! I knew there had to be more Scottish people out there! Congrats on your unconditional! Is Strathclyde your first choice? Are you still at school? =) xx
Reply 1988
Original post by Rhonaa
That's strange! I knew there had to be more Scottish people out there! Congrats on your unconditional! Is Strathclyde your first choice? Are you still at school? =) xx

hahaa thanks you too! still deciding which one's my first choice :/ such a difficult decision to make! yeah i am , you? :smile: xxx
Reply 1989
Original post by Rach25
hahaa thanks you too! still deciding which one's my first choice :/ such a difficult decision to make! yeah i am , you? :smile: xxx

Yeah it is hard! I liked Newcastle, but I'm from Glasgow so it's tempting just to stay put! I'm at uni already, I graduate from my French degree in June, so it would be nice to finally move back to Glasgow! Where are you from? xx
Reply 1990
Original post by Rhonaa
Yeah it is hard! I liked Newcastle, but I'm from Glasgow so it's tempting just to stay put! I'm at uni already, I graduate from my French degree in June, so it would be nice to finally move back to Glasgow! Where are you from? xx

hahaa yeah i can imagine it would be nice to be back home :smile: I'm from Aberdeen so there's no option for me of staying home but i think i'm wanting to stay in Scotland. Newcastle just seems so far away! :L xxx
Reply 1991
Original post by Rach25
hahaa yeah i can imagine it would be nice to be back home :smile: I'm from Aberdeen so there's no option for me of staying home but i think i'm wanting to stay in Scotland. Newcastle just seems so far away! :L xxx

Ah are you looking forward to moving out? Yeah, Newcastle looks great but just a wee bit too far! Did you go to the Strath open day? I missed it cos I was on holiday, but went to the QMU one - thought the uni was a bit small for my liking!

Hey :smile: We have the same choices, but i'm Sheffield instead of City. When are you submitting your application? It's all very exciting :biggrin:
Original post by juliewho
Hey :smile: We have the same choices, but i'm Sheffield instead of City. When are you submitting your application? It's all very exciting :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure I'll be submitting it at the very last possible moment xD I'm heading into my old school tommorrow to beg my old teachers for a reference and then hopefully heading off to do some shadowing on the 9th and 10th and writing my PS after that so yeah... very last minute!
Reply 1994
Original post by Rhonaa
Ah are you looking forward to moving out? Yeah, Newcastle looks great but just a wee bit too far! Did you go to the Strath open day? I missed it cos I was on holiday, but went to the QMU one - thought the uni was a bit small for my liking!

Yeah I kinda am :biggrin: yeah i did, seems really good. Nothing like as modern as QMU but the lecturers all seemed really nice and the place had a good vibe :smile: Yeah QMU is pretty tiny, think there's only like 4000 - 5000 students that go there!
I'm pretty sure I'll be submitting it at the very last possible moment xD I'm heading into my old school tommorrow to beg my old teachers for a reference and then hopefully heading off to do some shadowing on the 9th and 10th and writing my PS after that so yeah... very last minute!

Wow, very last minute then! I spent absolutely ages on my PS, I can't imagine having to get it done that fast :tongue: You could try writing a few bits of it before your shadowing sessions, like the introduction and end, to cut down on the stress :smile: What A-levels did you do before Oxford?
Reply 1996
Original post by Rach25
Yeah I kinda am :biggrin: yeah i did, seems really good. Nothing like as modern as QMU but the lecturers all seemed really nice and the place had a good vibe :smile: Yeah QMU is pretty tiny, think there's only like 4000 - 5000 students that go there!

Yeah, the Strath buildings and stuff aren't the nicest are they?! I'm mad I didn't get to meet lecturers and stuff, but I think they have like an applicants day in March time so that'll be good =) maybe see you there! x
Reply 1997
Original post by Rhonaa
Yeah, the Strath buildings and stuff aren't the nicest are they?! I'm mad I didn't get to meet lecturers and stuff, but I think they have like an applicants day in March time so that'll be good =) maybe see you there! x

Is there? I'll need to take a look into that! :smile: well hopefully we'll get a chance to see more of the actual speech and language facilites cos there wasn't really much of a chance in the open days, it was more just showing the general uni :smile: xxx
Original post by juliewho
Wow, very last minute then! I spent absolutely ages on my PS, I can't imagine having to get it done that fast :tongue: You could try writing a few bits of it before your shadowing sessions, like the introduction and end, to cut down on the stress :smile: What A-levels did you do before Oxford?

Yeah, I've made a start on it and I've got a vague idea of how I want it to go. Fortunately perfectionism isn't one of my flaws :tongue: I did English, history and economics. Luckily I used to live in Scotland so I've got highers too, including biology which means I can apply to Newcastle.
Yeah, I've made a start on it and I've got a vague idea of how I want it to go. Fortunately perfectionism isn't one of my flaws :tongue: I did English, history and economics. Luckily I used to live in Scotland so I've got highers too, including biology which means I can apply to Newcastle.

I suppose you've done it all once before quite recently, so it shouldn't need as many drafts anyway :smile: that's really lucky then - where do you think your first choice will be?

Quick Reply

Latest