The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by juliewho
Has anybody recieved anything from NHS bursaries yet? My friend doing physiotherapy elsewhere has been invited to apply, so we should be pretty soon hopefully :smile:

I haven't been invited but i went onto the website and found a link to complete it, and then just got an email from them saying what evidence i need to send them and stuff so my application can be processed :smile:
Original post by SalC
OOh that's exciting! I haven't heard anything yet but I just wanna get it out the way!

Me too, I hate feeling disorganised :tongue:

Original post by laureneb10
I haven't been invited but i went onto the website and found a link to complete it, and then just got an email from them saying what evidence i need to send them and stuff so my application can be processed :smile:

A few people have done this so I double checked with the NHS bursary people via facebook. If you apply now without being invited, before your uni has notified them of you firming the course and the term dates, they only assess you for the standard 30 weeks course. Apparently it's quite easy to change later if it turns out your course is longer than 30 weeks, but I think i'm going to leave it until I get invited because I have no idea how long my course is and I don't fancy having to change it later on :redface:
Reply 4262
Has anyone firmed Uni of Sheffield?! I'm almost definitely going there in September!!!
If anyone else is, let me know so we can get to know each other a bit before! :smile:
Sheffield have asked me today to pay £44 for a CRB check that needs to be paid for before the 31st of May. I can't really afford it/don't want to pay it if I can't use it for Newcastle because I don't think i'm going to end up at Sheffield, does anyone know if I can transfer it (so if I pay, it's not a waste?) :s-smilie:
Reply 4264
Original post by Fi90
Thanks! Yeah in pretty sure thats what she said, im
sure she said it's a block placement? I thought we done that as well so maybe they have changed it x

Yeah, it's like a 2 week placement I think!

She emailed me back with last years prepatory reading list, they haven't decided this years one yet, but she said there won't be drastic changes. The 3 books they suggest are:

Phonetics
Clark, J. & Yallop, C. (1995) An Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology. Oxford: Blackwell.
Chapters 2 and 6

Linguistics
Yule, G. (2010) The Study of Language. 4th Edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Speech and Language Therapy
Bray, M., Ross, A. & Todd, C. (2006) Speech and Language Clinical Process and Practice 2nd Edition. London: Whurr.
Chapter 1

and a website for language acquisition:
http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=122&id=1668 .
Anyone know what the chances of getting a place through adjustment are? I know you can do it for other courses but don't know if ours will be too oversubscribed to let us haha x
Reply 4266
Original post by Rhonaa
Yeah, it's like a 2 week placement I think!

She emailed me back with last years prepatory reading list, they haven't decided this years one yet, but she said there won't be drastic changes. The 3 books they suggest are:

Phonetics
Clark, J. & Yallop, C. (1995) An Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology. Oxford: Blackwell.
Chapters 2 and 6

Linguistics
Yule, G. (2010) The Study of Language. 4th Edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Speech and Language Therapy
Bray, M., Ross, A. & Todd, C. (2006) Speech and Language Clinical Process and Practice 2nd Edition. London: Whurr.
Chapter 1

and a website for language acquisition:
http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=122&id=1668 .

I thought we would maybe have more placement! That's good she emailed back, thanks for letting me know :-) how exiting!! (how sad am I, excited about a reading list!!)
Sheffield have asked me today to pay £44 for a CRB check that needs to be paid for before the 31st of May. I can't really afford it/don't want to pay it if I can't use it for Newcastle because I don't think i'm going to end up at Sheffield, does anyone know if I can transfer it (so if I pay, it's not a waste?) :s-smilie:

CRB checks are non-transferable, as they have the name of the institution on them. I'm surprised it's not free though, as mine was and so was some other ones at different unis, or is Sheffield offering to reimburse you?
Original post by laureneb10
Anyone know what the chances of getting a place through adjustment are? I know you can do it for other courses but don't know if ours will be too oversubscribed to let us haha x

I think Manchester and Reading were in Adjustment last year, but it will probably be more competitive this year.
Reply 4269
Original post by Fi90
I thought we would maybe have more placement! That's good she emailed back, thanks for letting me know :-) how exiting!! (how sad am I, excited about a reading list!!)

Yeah I thought so too! =(
Don't worry I am JUST as sad - ordered one book already haha!

Oh - you should add me on Facebook if you have it - Rhona Sangster =)
Original post by PhoenixFortune
CRB checks are non-transferable, as they have the name of the institution on them. I'm surprised it's not free though, as mine was and so was some other ones at different unis, or is Sheffield offering to reimburse you?

I thought so, although I was hoping not. No, there's no mention of reimbursement on the letter, so i'm going to email them on monday querying if there's any way I can delay paying. I only get paid just over £100 a month so £44 is a lot of money, especially if Newcastle want me to pay as well :redface:
Reply 4271
anyone here going DMU ?

It also says in the letter to send the placement form in...I'm guessing that's the sheet that says "Information for Arranging Summer Block Placements" at the top? It asks us on that what our Sheffield Address is, but we don't know that yet do we?! :s-smilie: How are we meant to fill it in and send it by the 31st of May (along with the CRB form) if we don't actually know that stuff yet? :s-smilie: confuuuuused.
Original post by tish*tash
It also says in the letter to send the placement form in...I'm guessing that's the sheet that says "Information for Arranging Summer Block Placements" at the top? It asks us on that what our Sheffield Address is, but we don't know that yet do we?! :s-smilie: How are we meant to fill it in and send it by the 31st of May (along with the CRB form) if we don't actually know that stuff yet? :s-smilie: confuuuuused.

I don't have any other forms apart from those ones, so it must be. I don't know either, I also don't know if i'll be able to drive in two years time or where i'll be living over that summer,it seems a bit early to be asking this stuff! :redface:
Reply 4274
Has anyone applied/know how to apply for the nhs bursary please? ... Just applied for student finance and I'm now clueless!
Original post by ellied
Has anyone applied/know how to apply for the nhs bursary please? ... Just applied for student finance and I'm now clueless!

You will be contacted by them, you don't need to do anything. The university will have passed on your details to NHS bursaries (or will do soon if they haven't yet) and they will give you an application number, which you need before you can fill out the forms. You could ring the uni to check what's happening if you're worried about it but they will normally initiate it :smile:
I don't have any other forms apart from those ones, so it must be. I don't know either, I also don't know if i'll be able to drive in two years time or where i'll be living over that summer,it seems a bit early to be asking this stuff! :redface:

Exactly! This is what I've just said to my mum haha, it seems really early :s I haven't got any of these forms from my insurance place yet. I'm gunna give the HCS department a ring as I'm v. confused lol..

Just emailed..in case you were wondering, the admissions secretary told me to put "still in process of confirming" where it asks for the Sheffield Address (I know you've firmed Newcastle but hey, if it helps! :smile: )
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4277
What sort of burserys are people getting? I just got a letter through from saas to tell menim only getting £104 a year! I don't understand how that can be right..
Reply 4278
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3254.aspx ok after seeing this link I am sooooo confused! Because I'm studying in Scotland I had to apply to SAAS for ,as I understood, my NHS bursery. But this says we're sent out info and applications from the NHS? Has anyone applied for their bursery yet? REALLY need help!
Reply 4279
Original post by Fi90
Has anyone else firmed Strathclyde? or still only 3 of us haha? X

Hello! I am :smile: I just joined this forum today to see if anyone else was here! Did you go to the info session? I couldn't make it, but I've already firmed my offer.

Quick Reply

Latest